[net.puzzle] Real-life rice puzzler

shuster@oblio.DEC (RoB ShUsTeR 226-6807) (02/18/86)

Ok, here's a puzzle from real-life.  I don't know the answer.
If you like to stir your rice before it's done, this is not for you:

1) Boil water in a regular sauce pan.

2) Throw in a cup of rice, any brand, and cover pan.

3) DO NOT stir rice before all water is absorbed! (Don't worry, only a
few grains burn.)

When all the water has been absorbed, and you remove the cover, you
should see holes in the rice created by steam coming up from the
bottom of the pan.  The holes are arranged in a curious pattern: a set
of concentric circles, perhaps 3 or 4, centered around the center of
pan.  Why does this happen?

-Rob Shuster

Posted:	Tue 18-Feb-1986 10:15 EST
To:	RHEA::DECWRL::"net.puzzle"

stu16@whuxl.UUCP (Pippin) (02/19/86)

> pan.  Why does this happen?

     The bubbles follow the pattern of the burner - that's
where the pot gets the hottest. I see this pattern in water
just before it begins to REALLY boil.
--
                      Pippin Stuart
                      whuxl!stu16

phillips@cisden.UUCP (Tom Phillips) (02/20/86)

In article <1206@decwrl.DEC.COM> shuster@oblio.DEC (RoB ShUsTeR 226-6807) writes:
>Ok, here's a puzzle from real-life.  I don't know the answer.
>If you like to stir your rice before it's done, this is not for you:
>1) Boil water in a regular sauce pan.
>2) Throw in a cup of rice, any brand, and cover pan.
>3) DO NOT stir rice before all water is absorbed! (Don't worry, only a
>few grains burn.)
>When all the water has been absorbed, and you remove the cover, you
>should see holes in the rice created by steam coming up from the
>bottom of the pan.  The holes are arranged in a curious pattern: a set
>of concentric circles, perhaps 3 or 4, centered around the center of
>pan.  Why does this happen?
>-Rob Shuster

You have an electric range, don't you?
The heating element is a spiral, and where it touches the pan is where the
highest heat is, thus where the bubbles form.  QED.
If I'm being naive, I'm sure someone will correct me...
--
						Tommy Phillips
From the banks of the great grey-green greasy Limpopo River,

				cisden!phillips