[net.puzzle] Modified pennies puzzle

matt@oddjob.UUCP (Matt Crawford) (02/21/86)

In article <480@faron.UUCP> meister@faron.UUCP (Philip W. Servita) writes:
>Better Problem: (for this problem, assume the Penny Width (PW) to be the
>unit of distance) Two players are about to play this game on a round table
>of diameter N PW, for unknown N. Unfortunately, a Malicious Mathematician has
>Krazy Glued a penny to position (0,.5PW). Determine the set of real numbers N
>for which this game is a first player win.

The first player wins for all N >= 2.  (I.e., if the first
player has a legal play, then it's a win.)  Strategy: play
the first penny at (0,-.5PW), then preserve the C-2 axis of
symmetry.

This seems too easy.  Did I overlook something?
Matt		University	crawford@anl-mcs.arpa
Crawford	of Chicago	ihnp4!oddjob!matt