[net.puzzle] pennies puzzle

qts@houxa.UUCP (J.RAMMING) (02/14/86)

-----

All puzzles should have elegant solutions; the more elegant, the
better the puzzle.  This is an excellent puzzle.

Imagine a two-player game, in which each of the players begins
with an infinite number of pennies.  There exists a round table,
and each player in his turn places a penny on the table.  (Turns
are alternated).  The game ends when there is no more room on the
table for any pennies.  The person who last put a penny on the table
is declared the winner.

Question:  Given that one of these players has a winning strategy,
   	which player (the first, or the second) can always win?
	Prove your answer by giving the strategy.

J. Christopher Ramming

UUCP:  decvax!bellcore!houxa!qts
HOME:  (201) 542-2079
WORK:  (201) 949-9531

dim@whuxlm.UUCP (McCooey David I) (02/18/86)

> Imagine a two-player game, in which each of the players begins
> with an infinite number of pennies.  There exists a round table,
> and each player in his turn places a penny on the table.  (Turns
> are alternated).  The game ends when there is no more room on the
> table for any pennies.  The person who last put a penny on the table
> is declared the winner.
>
> Question:  Given that one of these players has a winning strategy,
>    	which player (the first, or the second) can always win?
> 	Prove your answer by giving the strategy.

The second player can always win if he uses the following strategy:

	Considering the center of the table as the "origin", always
	place his penny at a spot reflected through the origin from
	where his opponent just placed his last penny.

Using this strategy, the second player will always have a spot to place his
penny because he is simply mirroring the actions of the first player.

					Dave McCooey
					AT&T Bell Labs, Whippany
					ihnp4!whuxlm!dim

ags@pucc-h (Dave Seaman) (02/19/86)

In article <904@whuxlm.UUCP> dim@whuxlm.UUCP (McCooey David I) writes:
>> Imagine a two-player game, in which each of the players begins
>> with an infinite number of pennies.  There exists a round table,
>> and each player in his turn places a penny on the table.  (Turns
>> are alternated).  The game ends when there is no more room on the
>> table for any pennies.  The person who last put a penny on the table
>> is declared the winner.
>>
>The second player can always win if he uses the following strategy:
>
>	Considering the center of the table as the "origin", always
>	place his penny at a spot reflected through the origin from
>	where his opponent just placed his last penny.

Actually this is a description of the first player's winning strategy,
beginning at the second move.  His first move, of course, is to place a penny
at the exact center.
--
Dave Seaman	  					pur-ee!pucc-h!ags

meister@faron.UUCP (Philip W. Servita) (02/19/86)

In article <953@houxa.UUCP> qts@houxa.UUCP (J.RAMMING) writes:
>Imagine a two-player game, in which each of the players begins
>with an infinite number of pennies.  There exists a round table,
>and each player in his turn places a penny on the table.  (Turns
>are alternated).  The game ends when there is no more room on the
>table for any pennies.  The person who last put a penny on the table
>is declared the winner.
>
>Question:  Given that one of these players has a winning strategy,
>   	which player (the first, or the second) can always win?
>	Prove your answer by giving the strategy.

First player win. The general strategy is simple: label the center of the
table the origin, and, assuming you are the second player, and the first player
just made a move M to (x,y), just make your move to (-x,-y). in this fashion
there will always be a spot for the second player to move. This strategy will
work for ANY symmetric starting position. How, then, is the round table a FIRST
player win? at the beginning of the game there is exactly 1 move which
preserves the symmetry of the playfield; (0,0). First player moves there and
then pretends to be the second player.

Better Problem: (for this problem, assume the Penny Width (PW) to be the
unit of distance) Two players are about to play this game on a round table
of diameter N PW, for unknown N. Unfortunately, a Malicious Mathematician has
Krazy Glued a penny to position (0,.5PW). Determine the set of real numbers N
for which this game is a first player win.

sit down someday and make a list of all things that don't
any difference to you. when you are done, throw away the list.

                                         -the venn buddhist

dim@whuxlm.UUCP (McCooey David I) (02/19/86)

> > Imagine a two-player game, in which each of the players begins
> > with an infinite number of pennies.  There exists a round table,
> > and each player in his turn places a penny on the table.  (Turns
> > are alternated).  The game ends when there is no more room on the
> > table for any pennies.  The person who last put a penny on the table
> > is declared the winner.
> >
> > Question:  Given that one of these players has a winning strategy,
> >    	which player (the first, or the second) can always win?
> > 	Prove your answer by giving the strategy.
> >
> The second player can always win if he uses the following strategy:
>
> 	Considering the center of the table as the "origin", always
> 	place his penny at a spot reflected through the origin from
> 	where his opponent just placed his last penny.
>
> Using this strategy, the second player will always have a spot to place his
> penny because he is simply mirroring the actions of the first player.
>
> 					Dave McCooey
> 					AT&T Bell Labs, Whippany
> 					ihnp4!whuxlm!dim

Actually, the above strategy has a flaw:  The first player starts off by
placing his penny on the origin.  Therefore, it is the FIRST player that
has a winning strategy.  He just uses the strategy given above AFTER his
first move, which is at the origin.

					Dave McCooey
					AT&T Bell Labs, Whippany
					ihnp4!whuxlm!dim

cipher@mmm.UUCP (Andre Guirard) (02/19/86)

In article <904@whuxlm.UUCP> dim@whuxlm.UUCP (McCooey David I) writes:
>> Imagine a two-player game, in which each of the players begins
>> with an infinite number of pennies.  There exists a round table,
>> and each player in his turn places a penny on the table.  (Turns
>> are alternated).  The game ends when there is no more room on the
>> table for any pennies.  The person who last put a penny on the table
>> is declared the winner.
>>
>> Question:  Given that one of these players has a winning strategy,
>>    	which player (the first, or the second) can always win?
>> 	Prove your answer by giving the strategy.
>>
>The second player can always win if he uses the following strategy:
>
>	Considering the center of the table as the "origin", always
>	place his penny at a spot reflected through the origin from
>	where his opponent just placed his last penny.
>
>Using this strategy, the second player will always have a spot to place his
>penny because he is simply mirroring the actions of the first player.

This is a very elegant solution, but it is unfortunately wrong.  This
strategy will work, but it will only work for the first player, after
s/he has started the game by playing to the exact center of the table
(a move impossible to "mirror").

--

 /''`\						Andre Guirard
([]-[])						High Weasel

matt@oddjob.UUCP (Matt Crawford) (02/19/86)

dim@whuxlm.UUCP (McCooey David I) Sez:
>The second player can always win if he uses the following strategy:
>
>	Considering the center of the table as the "origin", always
>	place his penny at a spot reflected through the origin from
>	where his opponent just placed his last penny.

Hey, David, wanna play the penny game for a $1000 stake?
(Sorry, it's my mercenary streak again.)  You can go
second, and I'll place my first penny exactly at the
center of the table.  Now what do you do?
Matt		University	crawford@anl-mcs.arpa
Crawford	of Chicago	ihnp4!oddjob!matt

ins_anmy@jhunix.UUCP (Norman M Yarvin) (02/20/86)

> > Imagine a two-player game, in which each of the players begins
> > with an infinite number of pennies.  There exists a round table,
> > and each player in his turn places a penny on the table.  (Turns
> > are alternated).  The game ends when there is no more room on the
> > table for any pennies.  The person who last put a penny on the table
> > is declared the winner.
> >
> > Question:  Given that one of these players has a winning strategy,
> >    	which player (the first, or the second) can always win?
> > 	Prove your answer by giving the strategy.
> >
> The second player can always win if he uses the following strategy:
>
> 	Considering the center of the table as the "origin", always
> 	place his penny at a spot reflected through the origin from
> 	where his opponent just placed his last penny.
>
> Using this strategy, the second player will always have a spot to place his
> penny because he is simply mirroring the actions of the first player.
>
> 					Dave McCooey

	NO!  The first player has the winning strategy!  He uses the strategy
detailed above, except that he places his first penny exactly in the center
of the table.

--
		Norman Yarvin
UUCP:	 seismo!umcp-cs \

vsh@pixdoc.UUCP (Steve Harris) (02/21/86)

If there is a way one player can always win, it must be the first
player, since only s/he can win when the table is the same size as the
penny.

--

Steve Harris            |  {allegra|ihnp4|cbosgd|ima|genrad|amd|harvard}\
xePIX, Inc.             |               !wjh12!pixel!pixdoc!vsh

markb@sdcrdcf.UUCP (Mark Biggar) (02/21/86)

In article <953@houxa.UUCP> qts@houxa.UUCP (J.RAMMING) writes:
>Imagine a two-player game, in which each of the players begins
>with an infinite number of pennies.  There exists a round table,
>and each player in his turn places a penny on the table.  (Turns
>are alternated).  The game ends when there is no more room on the
>table for any pennies.  The person who last put a penny on the table
>is declared the winner.
>Question:  Given that one of these players has a winning strategy,
>   	which player (the first, or the second) can always win?
>	Prove your answer by giving the strategy.

Necessary Assumption: pennies must not overlap, but may touch.

Winning strategy for the first player is as follows:

1.  Make your first move to the exact center of the table.

2.  On each following move place your penny exactly on the other side of
        of the center penny form your opponents move.  If the
        other player places a penny 3 inches north of the center
        penny you place one 3 inches south of it.  As there will
        always be a place for you to put a penny you will always
        place the last one.

A much more difficult problem is a winning stratagy if the last person
to be albe to place a penny loses.

Mark Biggar
{allegra,burdvax,cbosgd,hplabs,ihnp4,akgua,sdcsvax}!sdcrdcf!markb

jbs@mit-eddie.UUCP (Jeff Siegal) (02/21/86)

In article <904@whuxlm.UUCP> dim@whuxlm.UUCP (McCooey David I) writes:
>> Imagine a two-player game, in which each of the players begins
>> with an infinite number of pennies.  There exists a round table,
>> and each player in his turn places a penny on the table.  (Turns
>> are alternated).  The game ends when there is no more room on the
>> table for any pennies.  The person who last put a penny on the table
>> is declared the winner.
>>
>> Question:  Given that one of these players has a winning strategy,
>>    	which player (the first, or the second) can always win?
>> 	Prove your answer by giving the strategy.
>>
>The second player can always win if he uses the following strategy:
>
>	Considering the center of the table as the "origin", always
>	place his penny at a spot reflected through the origin from
>	where his opponent just placed his last penny.
>
>Using this strategy, the second player will always have a spot to place his
>penny because he is simply mirroring the actions of the first player.

Almost.  The first player can place his penny _AT_ the center of the
table.  Then he can always mirror the actions of his opponent.

Therefore, the first player can always win.

Jeff Siegal - MIT EECS

ewa@sdcc3.UUCP (Eric Anderson) (02/21/86)

In article <904@whuxlm.UUCP> dim@whuxlm.UUCP (McCooey David I) writes:
>> Imagine a two-player game...
>The second player can always win if he uses the following strategy:
>	Considering the center of the table as the "origin", always
>	place his penny at a spot reflected through the origin from
>	where his opponent just placed his last penny.
>Using this strategy, the second player will always have a spot to place his
>penny because he is simply mirroring the actions of the first player.
Close .. but actually the FIRST player will win.

Suppose the second player mirrors the first players moves. Noting this, the
first player aviods the origin.  Then, when the rest of the table is full, the
first player plays the origin, and wins.

Winning strategy: Play the origin first, then mirror the other player.

Eric Anderson, UC San Diego         {elsewhere}!ihnp4!ucbvax!sdcsvax!sdcc3!ewa
Home: (619)453-7315       Work: (619)586-1201       White House: (202)456-1414