[net.puzzle] A Bicycle Puzzle *****SPOILING YOUR DAUGHTERS WITH MY ANSWERS****

m113aw@brahms.BERKELEY.EDU (Ariel Mazzarelli) (03/05/86)

In article <97@tekchips.UUCP> eirik@tekchips.UUCP (Eirik Fuller) writes:

>On a bicycle with both tires the same diameter, which wheel has a
>larger average angular velocity?  In more concrete terms, suppose
>you have one of those newfangled bicycle computer gizmos.   On which
>wheel should you mount the sensor to register more mileage?
>
>Assumptions:  neglect variations in tire diameter due to tire
>compression.  Assume that neither wheel slips.  Treat this purely as
>a geometry problem (it is not a trick question).
>
>One small hint:  I thought of this as I was grinding my way
>up a steep hill on my fixed gear.

Good hint. The front wheel can turn, but the rear wheel is fixed with
respect to the frame. Hence, on turns, the front wheel travels a greater
distance (this is particularly obvious when there is no translation).
Since the time spans are identical for both wheels (relativity doesn't
count), the front wheel has a greater average angular velocity.

Ariel Mazzarelli                 I wear loafers so that I don't have
				 to ask my roommate to tie my shoelaces
----