[net.misc] Small World Experiences

avolio@grendel.UUCP (Frederick M. Avolio) (12/21/84)

I was wondering how many others have had the experience of remeeting
old friends, classmates, etc. by way of spotting a familiar name on a
news article header or something like that.

For example, this is pulled out of a note I received a few weeks ago...

	>  Just read your remarks about Hemo the Magnificent in
	>net.movies.  If you are the Fred Avolio [...]  Anyway, you
	>mentioned The Restless Sea.  I think I saw that one in Mr.
	>Cohen's Earth Science class.  Is that where you saw it?
	>               [...]
	>  This is the second time I got to pull the stunt of
	>surprising someone from my past.  On net.ai a few months
	>back, a friend from grad school submitted a gag entry [...]
	>I was sure it was the same guy, because he even mentioned
	>his dog by name.  So I sent back a reply [...] I hadn't seem
	>him in about 5 years.  You've got that beat, easy, without
	>even mentioning your dog.

I had last seen this guy in June of 1973 at high school graduation.
Found out he even works for the same company as I do now, although in
different states (he in the state of confusion, I in disorientation).
--
Fred Avolio, DEC -- Ultrix Applications Center
301/731-4100 x4227

honey@down.FUN (code 101) (12/30/84)

it's a little known fact that there are only 3,000 people in the world.
	peter

cuccia@ucbvax.ARPA (Nick Cuccia) (12/31/84)

> I was wondering how many others have had the experience of remeeting
> old friends, classmates, etc. by way of spotting a familiar name on a
> news article header or something like that.

I was waiting in line for a card punch in Evans Hall (UC-Berkeley) one
night during my freshman year, when I heard these two guys behind me
talking about my hometown, Madison, Wisconsin.  One of them said some-
thing about finishing second in the city spelling bee when he was in
fifth grade; it was then that I realized that it was my friend Allyn,
who I hadn't seen since I left Wisconsin in '76.  I sure didn't expect
to find Allyn in the bowels of Evans...

--Nick Cuccia
--cuccia%ucbmiro@Berkeley	(ARPANET)
--ucbvax!cuccia			(USENET)

allynh@ucbvax.ARPA (Allyn Hardyck) (12/31/84)

>I sure didn't expect to find Allyn in the bowels of Evans...

Nor I you, Nick, it was a real shocker.  But a nice one at that.
I too have been finding people from my past.  It was through the miracle of the
finger daemon on the ARPAnet that I contacted Brian Pinkerton at Wisconsin
with whom I suffered through 6-12th grade.  I have found 3 other people
currently going to Berkeley besides Nick who I knew at one point or another in
Madison, basically by noticing their name in /etc/passwd or whatever.

One instance that didn't turn out so well a few months ago involved a letter
posted to net.dcom by Lori Pratt at Dartmouth.  I am pretty sure that this was
the same Lori Pratt who founded the Computer Club at West High in Madison.
Unfortunately entropy set in and I didn't send her anything until the summer,
a letter which was promptly returned by the mailer at dartvax, "user unknown".
Apparently she has defected to the Big Blue.  Oh well.
--
		   "When you hear three long blasts like this in succession..."

							Allyn Hardyck
							..!ucbvax!allynh
							allynh@ucbvax.ARPA

jpj@mss.UUCP (J. P. Jenal) (01/01/85)

In article <399@down.FUN> honey@down.FUN (code 101) writes:
>it's a little known fact that there are only 3,000 people in the world.
>	peter

Actually, the way I heard it was (with thanks to Carolyn See):

    There are only 300 people in the entire world...

	...the rest is done with mirrors!

tli@uscvax.UUCP (Tony Li) (01/03/85)

> it's a little known fact that there are only 3,000 people in the world.
> 	peter

Not possible.  That would mean that we ALL go to Michael Jackson concerts...
Gag!!!

--
Tony Li ;-)		Usc Computer Science
Uucp: {sdcrdcf,randvax}!uscvax!tli

lab@qubix.UUCP (Q-Bick) (01/04/85)

Mayhaps ye'd prefer this one... Someone a year behind you in high
school, not that close a friend (you didn't go out of your way to talk
to each other), and whom you last saw in high school in Northern
California ELEVEN YEARS ago.

He's now in Barstow (in the middle of the desert in California); you're
working in LA. What odds do you give of being on the same flight from
Atlanta to Melbourne, Florida (not the End of the World, but you can see
it from there)?

[He had been ordered to catch a MAC flight to some place across the
Atlantic. The Middle of Nowhere was the closest the commercial flights
could get him to the MAC base. Yours truly was working for a no-name
company headquartered there. And anyone from the West wanting to get
there had to change planes in Atlanta.]
--
		The Ice Floe of Larry Bickford
		{amd,decwrl,sun,idi,ittvax}!qubix!lab

You can't settle the issue until you've settled how to settle the issue.

schmidt@reed.UUCP (Alan Schmidt) (01/22/85)

> I was wondering how many others have had the experience of remeeting
> old friends, classmates, etc. by way of spotting a familiar name on a
> news article header or something like that.

	My family and I were eating in a small, out of the way
restaurant in Kyoto when we noticed a history teacher from my high
school (Hong Kong International School).  Similarly, my family (this time,
without me) was at the Epcot Center (if I've mangled the spelling too
badly, its the thing in Florida not too far away from Disney World) and
met an old high school friend of mine (Sabino High in Arizona).

	We have a habit of running into people when we'd rather not run
into people, also (with me, I meet old friends when I'm too cross to
speak, and I start ranting or throwing sharp objects).

			-- Alan
			(..tektronix!reed!schmidt)

annab@azure.UUCP (A Beaver) (01/22/85)

> > I was wondering how many others have had the experience of remeeting
> > old friends, classmates, etc. by way of spotting a familiar name on a
> > news article header or something like that.

	Some friends of ours moved to California this Summer, he got a new
	job, and I am pretty bad when it comes to mailing letters. I might
	write them, but by the time I mail it, it's out of date, so I don't
	send them.

	Recently, I have had time to read the net ( I'm recovering from an
	injury) and my friend saw a follow-up that I posted. So now we
	keep in touch with e-mail.

	Annadiana Beaver

jcgowl@ihlpg.UUCP (r. gowland) (01/31/85)

> > I was wondering how many others have had the experience of remeeting
> > old friends, classmates, etc. by way of spotting a familiar name on a
> > news article header or something like that.

When I was 7 years old I fell in love with my primary school
teacher in Leicester, England. Twenty-three years later whilst I
was attending a Summer School attached to the Open University in
Bath, also England, I spotted (and easily recognised) my primary
school teacher who was attending the same Summer School.
So what?
She also recognised me, at 6'2", 235 pounds and with a beard!
I just thought I would mention that.

ihlpg!jcgowl Roger R. Gowland at Indian Hill, temporarily.