[net.puzzle] Yet Another Letter Sequence

stassen@spp2.UUCP (Chris Stassen) (03/14/86)

>What is the next letter in this sequence:
>   m, n, b, d, p, ?

What are the next four letters in this sequence:

	H, H, L, B, B, C, N, O, F ...

(Careful!  There are two equally correct answers).

			- Chris

weemba@brahms.BERKELEY.EDU (Matthew P. Wiener) (03/16/86)

In article <889@spp2.UUCP> stassen@spp2.UUCP (Chris Stassen) writes:
>What are the next four letters in this sequence:
>
>	H, H, L, B, B, C, N, O, F ...
>
>(Careful!  There are two equally correct answers).

Answer 1:  ... N N M A ...
Answer 2:  ... N S M A ...

The sad thing about this sequence is that it ends U U U, and will probably
end U U U for the longest time.

ucbvax!brahms!weemba	Matthew P Wiener/UCB Math Dept/Berkeley CA 94720

plw@panda.UUCP (Pete Williamson) (03/17/86)

>>What is the next letter in this sequence:
>>   m, n, b, d, p, ?
>
>What are the next four letters in this sequence:
>
>	H, H, L, B, B, C, N, O, F ...
>
>(Careful!  There are two equally correct answers).
>
>			- Chris

Then there is this one:  W, A, J, M, M, A, J ...

--
						Pete Williamson
"By hook or by crook, we will !!" ... #2

john@cisden.UUCP (John Woolley) (03/18/86)

In article <889@spp2.UUCP> stassen@spp2.UUCP (Chris Stassen) writes:
>What are the next four letters in this sequence:
>
>	H, H, L, B, B, C, N, O, F ...
>
>(Careful!  There are two equally correct answers).

Well, obviously it's  N, S, M, A.  How could anyone fail to see it right
off?  But I don't see how there's another equally correct answer, unless
you're going to argue for N in place of my S, which would be pretty perverse.

Actually, this was a good one.  I stared at it for some minutes without any
progress, then decided to call my Dad and see if he had any ideas.  As his
phone was ringing, suddenly it all was clear.  Funny how these things happen.
I think it was the haunting familiarity of the CNOF part of it that clicked.
--
				Peace and Good!,
				      Fr. John Woolley

weemba@brahms.BERKELEY.EDU (Matthew P. Wiener) (03/18/86)

>>>What is the next letter in this sequence:
>>>   m, n, b, d, p, ?
>>
>>What are the next four letters in this sequence:
>>
>>	H, H, L, B, B, C, N, O, F ...
>
>Then there is this one:  W, A, J, M, M, A, J ...

And don't forget this one: A B C D E F G H ...

ucbvax!brahms!weemba	Matthew P Wiener/UCB Math Dept/Berkeley CA 94720

john@cisden.UUCP (John Woolley) (03/19/86)

In article <1533@panda.UUCP> plw@panda.UUCP (Pete Williamson) writes:
>Then there is this one:  W, A, J, M, M, A, J ...

W A J M M A J V H T P T F P B L ....

This is closely analagous to the even more mysterious

G J T J J J A M W J J Z M F J A ....

The really important question, though:  What is the 41st element?  K? B? H? C?