[net.puzzle] rational behavior

torek@umich.UUCP (Paul V. Torek ) (03/25/86)

In article <738@hounx.UUCP> kort@hounx.UUCP (B.KORT) writes:
>[...] does rational behavior mean "predictable"
>behavior or "successful" behavior, or what?  (Or not?)  Is the appearance
>that you present a function of the observer?  (That is, does it depend
>on how the observer answers the second question in this paragraph?)
>
>[...] What *exactly* do we mean by completely rational behavior?

We mean, behavior that follows the norms of reason.  Some examples:  modus
ponens and the law of non-contradiction are norms of reason.  Somewhat
more controversially, the principle "maximize subjective expected utility"
is a norm of reason.  Still more controversial are norms for the formation
of "expectation" in this sense (i.e., probability judgements) and "utility"
functions (i.e., value systems).

--Paul Torek							torek@umich

kort@hounx.UUCP (B.KORT) (03/25/86)

Paul Torek joins the discussion on specifying the prescription
for "rational behavior"...

>> What *exactly* do we mean by completely rational behavior? [Kort]

>We mean, behavior that follows the norms of reason.  Some examples:  modus
>ponens and the law of non-contradiction are norms of reason.  Somewhat
>more controversially, the principle "maximize subjective expected utility"
>is a norm of reason.  Still more controversial are norms for the formation
>of "expectation" in this sense (i.e., probability judgements) and "utility"
>functions (i.e., value systems).

Is it not the case that the "norms of reason" are not only controversial,
they have evolved steadily over historical times, with major and lasting
contributions from many times and cultures?  Even today, we see such
contributions as Axelrod's work on the Evolution of Cooperation, and
new branches of Logic such as Combinatorial Logic, Frege Logic, and
the like (or dislike).  Is it not the case that each generation of
philosophers found a dilemma in the preceding structure, and resolved
it by enlarging the dimensionality of the space in which the philosophical
structure resided?  (Example:  Law of the Excluded Middle.  We now have
propositions which are formally undecidable as True or False.  They
have "truth-value" somewhere in betweens, as in Fuzzy Logic.)

--Barry Kort   ...ihnp4!hounx!kort

torek@umich.UUCP (Paul V. Torek ) (03/27/86)

In article <755@hounx.UUCP> kort@hounx.UUCP (B.KORT) writes:
>(Example:  Law of the Excluded Middle.  We now have
>propositions which are formally undecidable as True or False.  They
>have "truth-value" somewhere in betweens, as in Fuzzy Logic.)

I for one am not ready to see LEM go.  Non-propositions must be
distinguished from unprovable-but-true propositions.  And then there's
the "quantum logic" issue (is that what you're talking about?), but
I don't see the need for "quantum logic" ... see L. Jonathan Cohen,
``Can Human Irrationality be Experimentally Demonstrated?'' _Behavioral
and Brain Sciences_ 1981.  (Also, Cohen refers to Haack, _Deviant Logic_,
which I haven't read but sounds interesting...)

--Paul Torek						torek@umich

herb@uwvax.UUCP (Benington Herb) (03/27/86)

As I have been reading messages on the Paradox and on rational behaviour,
I am reminded of a statement which I read many years ago which defined
a logical mind.  Since I was studying mathematics and engineering at the time
at MIT, it struck me as somewhat whimsical but it has continued to appeal
and comfort me.  In a book whose name I have forgotten, the psychiatrist
Otto Fenichel wrote:

	"A logical mind is tolerant of tension, capable of
	 postponement, rich in countercathexis, and ready
	 to judge reality on the basis of its own experience."

Since I consider the quality of "logic" to be more demanding and
constaining than the quality of "rationality, I would be interested
to hear reactions on the paradox from those more experienced and
urgently challenged than I am.