[net.misc] USENET Awards, anyone?

wildbill@ucbvax.ARPA (William J. Laubenheimer) (01/09/85)

Given that the total volume of USENET traffic can now be measured in
terms of megabytes per week (I have no idea how that compares to
anything, but it is certainly impressive), it would seem to be a
reasonable idea to attempt to recognize some of the truly brilliant
people and transmissions over the course of the past year. After all,
if "the press" can have Pulitzers, the movies have Oscars, mystery
writers have Edgars, and SF writers have Hugos, Nebulas, and a bunch
of other little awards too, there's no reason why USENET writers can't
have awards, too.

So let's lay some ground rules and try to get started.

First, we need a name for the things. "The USENET Awards" just doesn't
have the right amount of zing to it; something better is required.
Perhaps we need somebody's name (mine is not available, besides being
too long), or some symbol of the Net.

Next, there have to be categories. Just to get started, let me propose
a few, some serious, some less so:

Best Technical Article
Best Nontechnical Article
Best Technical Author
Best Nontechnical Author
Best Program in net.sources
Most Valuable Bug Fix
Most Interesting Newsgroup
Most Worthwhile Poll
Least Worthwhile Poll
Best Flame
Most Rabid Flame
Best Joke (subcategory for ROT13s)
(somebody's name) Award for Least Intelligible Article
(somebody's name) Award for Most Extremist Posting to net.politics
(somebody's name) Award for Most Irrational Response to a Request to Honor
                  Another's Viewpoint
        [will probably be found in net.religion or associated groups]
(somebody's name) Award for Meritorious Service to the Net
Asbestos Skin Award for Flame Tolerance
Most Intelligent Debate

[nominees for the named awards are needed. They should be truly
outstanding examples of the category - perhaps the first winners]

Plus any other categories which seem like a good idea (and perhaps not
all of these, depending on the general consensus).

Once categories have been selected, nominees will be solicited, voting
rules established, and eventually winners announced.

Progress reports on the goodness and/or necessity of all this, as indicated
by the mail volume received at ucbvax!wildbill, will be posted.

            _\|   ____   |/_            Bill Laubenheimer
            / \ /      \ / \            UC-Berkeley Computer Science
               |  o  o  |               ucbvax!wildbill
-------------------()-------------------
Killjoy's on vacation...Murphy's running the show!

crm@duke.UUCP (Charlie Martin) (01/10/85)

I LOVE this idea!  How about an award for the biggest *non sequitur* of
the year?

--
		Opinions stated here are my own and are unrelated.

				Charlie Martin
				(...mcnc!duke!crm)

mauney@ncsu.UUCP (Jon Mauney) (01/11/85)

I am all in favor of USENET awards.  I agree that the awards need a
catchy name, and I would like to propose that they be named after my
mythical friend William P. Baboquivari.  William P was a hacker,
strange person par excellens, and Arch-Druid of Chapel Hill.  If he
were still around, he would be single-handedly holding up net.nlang.celts.
(biography available on request)

Therefore I propose that the USENET awards be called

     The Willy Awards

in the tradition of Oscars, Tonys, Emmys, etc.  This has the added
advantage that if the views of, say, Ken Arndt give me the willies,
I can nominate him to receive a Willy too.
--

_Doctor_                           Jon Mauney,    mcnc!ncsu!mauney
\__Mu__/                           North Carolina State University

wbpesch@ihuxp.UUCP (Walt Pesch) (01/11/85)

Wouldn't be obvious - they would have to be called "THE WOMBATS".
I can see the award now...  bright green paper-mache (to symbolize the
money AT&T Communications makes over the long-distance phone calls),
about three feet tall, with a large, furry, beady-eyed wombat with a
lobe clutched in it's greedy little paws.

Walt Pesch
AT&T Technologies
ihnp4!ihuxp!wbpesch

guy@enmasse.UUCP (Guy K. Hillyer) (01/11/85)

In article <(I thought I fixed this bug!)> wildbill@ucbvax.ARPA
	(William J. Laubenheimer) writes:

>if "the press" can have Pulitzers, the movies have Oscars, mystery
>writers have Edgars, and SF writers have Hugos, Nebulas, and a bunch
>of other little awards too, there's no reason why USENET writers can't
>have awards, too.
>
>First, we need a name for the things.

How about "Neddies?"
--
                                    -- Guy K. Hillyer
{decvax,linus,allegra}!genrad!enmasse! guy

geoff@desint.UUCP (Geoff Kuenning) (01/11/85)

In article <4082@ucbvax.ARPA> wildbill@ucbvax.ARPA (William J. Laubenheimer) writes:

>(somebody's name) Award for Meritorious Service to the Net

Obviously this should be the Mark Horton Award for Meritorious Service to the
Net...unless we want to give it to Mark, of course.
--

	Geoff Kuenning
	...!ihnp4!trwrb!desint!geoff

inc@fluke.UUCP (Gary Benson) (01/11/85)

> .... it would seem to be a
> reasonable idea to attempt to recognize some of the truly brilliant
> people and transmissions over the course of the past year. After all,
> if "the press" can have Pulitzers, the movies have Oscars, mystery
> writers have Edgars, and SF writers have Hugos, Nebulas, and a bunch
> of other little awards too, there's no reason why USENET writers can't
> have awards, too.
>
> First, we need a name for the things. "The USENET Awards" just doesn't
> have the right amount of zing to it; something better is required.
> Perhaps we need somebody's name (mine is not available, besides being
> too long), or some symbol of the Net.
>
>             _\|   ____   |/_            Bill Laubenheimer
>             / \ /      \ / \            UC-Berkeley Computer Science
>                |  o  o  |               ucbvax!wildbill
> -------------------()-------------------
> Killjoy's on vacation...Murphy's running the show!

Oh come on, Bill! I think "The Laubenheimer Awards" has just the esoteric
ring to it that is needed!! Why isn't your name available? After all, the
Pulitzer Prize is named after ITS orginator, the Nobel Prize after ITS
originator -- I think we should seriously entertain the idea.

All in favor, send  10 Gigabytes to Bill; opposed, 5 Gig!!

--
Gary Benson m/s232e  -*- John Fluke Mfg Co  Box C9090 -*-  Everett WA 98206 USA
{microsoft,allegra,ssc-vax,sun,sb1}{decvax,ihnp4,tektronix!uw-beaver}!fluke!inc

wanttaja@ssc-vax.UUCP (Ronald J Wanttaja) (01/12/85)

> Wouldn't be obvious - they would have to be called "THE WOMBATS".
> I can see the award now...  bright green paper-mache (to symbolize the
> money AT&T Communications makes over the long-distance phone calls),
> about three feet tall, with a large, furry, beady-eyed wombat with a
> lobe clutched in it's greedy little paws.

No, No, NO!  With a MANGO clutched in it's greedy little paws!

						 Ron Wanttaja
						 (ssc-vax!wanttaja)

"Four hours to bury the cat!!!???"
"Yes, it wouldn't keep still, kept mucking about, 'owling..."

spaf@gatech.UUCP (Gene Spafford) (01/13/85)

Obviously, the generic award name should be "The Wombat".
--
Gene "7 months and counting" Spafford
The Clouds Project, School of ICS, Georgia Tech, Atlanta GA 30332

's@davisonbnl (.UUCP) (01/14/85)

> Given that the total volume of USENET traffic can now be measured in
> terms of megabytes per week (I have no idea how that compares to
> anything, but it is certainly impressive), it would seem to be a
> reasonable idea to attempt to recognize some of the truly brilliant
> people and transmissions over the course of the past year. After all,
> if "the press" can have Pulitzers, the movies have Oscars, mystery
> writers have Edgars, and SF writers have Hugos, Nebulas, and a bunch
> of other little awards too, there's no reason why USENET writers can't
> have awards, too.
>

>             _\|   ____   |/_            Bill Laubenheimer
>             / \ /      \ / \            UC-Berkeley Computer Science
>                |  o  o  |               ucbvax!wildbill

As a name how about the :-) award, to be pronounced as anyone cares
to, maybe colon-dash-close?

dan davison
..decvax!philabs!sbcs!bnl!davison

act@pur-phy.UUCP (Alex C. Tselis) (01/14/85)

How about calling it "The Hacker"?

cuccia@ucbvax.ARPA (Nick Cuccia) (01/14/85)

> In article <(I thought I fixed this bug!)> wildbill@ucbvax.ARPA
> 	(William J. Laubenheimer) writes:
>
> >if "the press" can have Pulitzers, the movies have Oscars, mystery
> >writers have Edgars, and SF writers have Hugos, Nebulas, and a bunch
> >of other little awards too, there's no reason why USENET writers can't
> >have awards, too.
> >
> >First, we need a name for the things.
>
> How about "Neddies?"
> --
>                                     -- Guy K. Hillyer

There should be the 'Rich Rosen Memorial Award', given to the person/s
showing extraordinary prowess in the field of continuous ranting.

--Nick Cuccia
--cuccia%ucbmiro@ucbvax
--ucbvax!cuccia

PS: before I forget, 8-}

donn@utah-gr.UUCP (Donn Seeley) (01/14/85)

	First, we need a name for the things.

I'm surprised no one has suggested the 'Bimmler' Awards.

Of course no one would want one, but I can think of many well-known
nettoids who would be eager to give them out at Usenixes,

Donn Seeley    University of Utah CS Dept    donn@utah-cs.arpa
40 46' 6"N 111 50' 34"W    (801) 581-5668    decvax!utah-cs!donn

hal@cornell.UUCP (Hal Perkins) (01/15/85)

Considering the amount of content-free postings to the net, an appropriate
award would be a small statuette of a flame-thrower.

lmm@panda.UUCP (Linda M. McInnis) (01/16/85)

In article <1589@pur-phy.UUCP> act@pur-phy.UUCP (Alex C. Tselis) writes:

>How about calling it "The Hacker"?

What about the "USELESS AWARD?"

lmm
	Linda M. McInnis  USENET:    genrad!teddy!lmm

	"I used to be disgusted, now I'm just amused."
				Elvis Costello

	"This ain't no party, this ain't no disco..."
				David Byrne

faustus@ucbcad.UUCP (01/17/85)

> How about calling it "The Hacker"?

Seriously, what percentage of USENETTERS do you think are really hackers?
I suspect they are mainly ordinary college students and people who work
at computer companies doing generic stuff who enjoy wasting hours
every day reading this stuff...

	Wayne

wildbill@ucbvax.ARPA (William J. Laubenheimer) (01/17/85)

> ... I think "The Laubenheimer Awards" has just the esoteric
> ring to it that is needed!! Why isn't your name available? After all, the
> Pulitzer Prize is named after ITS orginator, the Nobel Prize after ITS
> originator -- I think we should seriously entertain the idea.

> Gary Benson m/s232e  -*- John Fluke Mfg Co  Box C9090 -*-  Everett WA 98206 USA

After thinking about this for a while, and continuing to have feelings of
unease, I finally figured out why it didn't sound right. Those honors are
prizes, which were created \\and funded// by the person involved. Such
a person has a perfect right to name the award after himself.

The award-type honors are usually named after some prominent figure in
the field, or after their physical appearance (sometimes, e.g., Nebulas
in SF, the causality of this relationship is reversed). Since I am not
proposing anything but recognition for the honored parties (on my budget?
You've got to be kidding!), I must once again decline this nomination.

                                        Bill Laubenheimer
----------------------------------------UC-Berkeley Computer Science
     ...Killjoy went that-a-way--->     ucbvax!wildbill

steiny@scc.UUCP (Don Steiny) (01/17/85)

	Every 70 million years earth enters into a vast invisible
orange dust cloud that makes all creatures on earth
stupid.  Last time it happened, the dinosaurs forgot how
to eat and they all died out.

	We are entering into the cloud again, which
explains the presidential elections, USENET, and television.

--
scc!steiny
Don Steiny - Personetics @ (408) 425-0382

ron@brl-tgr.ARPA (Ron Natalie <ron>) (01/18/85)

> Considering the amount of content-free postings to the net, an appropriate
> award would be a small statuette of a flame-thrower.

Hey perfect!  I have an old Brass blow torch on my desk that would be
the perfect prototype for the award.

The USENET Brass Blow Torch award.

ncg@ukc.UUCP (N.C.Gale) (01/21/85)

In article <325@scc.UUCP> steiny@scc.UUCP (Don Steiny) writes:

>	Every 70 million years earth enters into a vast invisible
>orange dust cloud that makes all creatures on earth...

 invisible & orange at the same time (-8

aeq@pucc-h (Jeff Sargent) (01/22/85)

>	Every 70 million years earth enters into a vast invisible
> orange dust cloud that makes all creatures on earth stupid.

If it's invisible, how can it be orange?

--
-- Jeff Sargent
{decvax|harpo|ihnp4|inuxc|ucbvax}!pur-ee!pucc-h:aeq

inc@fluke.UUCP (Gary Benson) (01/22/85)

> As a name how about the :-) award, to be pronounced as anyone cares
> to, maybe colon-dash-close?

*** REMESS THIS PLACE WITH YOUR LINEAGE ***

I LIKE IT!! We could then shorten 'colon-dash-close' to 'CDC', which then
transmutes to 'Seedy C' (or maybe 'See de sea?')

    ...-Another Message in the Bottle *NOT* from Robert DeBenedictus-...

Of course, the CDC part would have to be accompanied by giant-sized
disclaimers taht Control Data Corporation has nothing to do with anything...

--
Gary Benson m/s232e  -*- John Fluke Mfg Co  Box C9090 -*-  Everett WA 98206 USA
{microsoft,allegra,ssc-vax,sun,sb1}{decvax,ihnp4,tektronix!uw-beaver}!fluke!inc
-_-_-_-andthewordsoftheprophetswerewrittenonthesubwaywalls,tenementhalls-_-_-_-

enchant@olivej.UUCP (Dan Crocker) (01/22/85)

Can we please move this discussion somewhere else? It's not even funny!!!

yosh@hou2e.UUCP (M.CHING) (01/24/85)

Unfortunately, this whole discussion isn't in the least bit funny
or even witty. It's just a forum for people to boost their egos by
seeing their own name in print.

How about the "NERD" award for those people who devote their entire
lives to posting obnoxious articles and the "JERK" award for those
who post twenty line sign-off messages?????

			Dave Bloom
			Bell Labs, Holmdel

duk@klipper.UUCP (Duk Bekema) (01/28/85)

In article <1706@pucc-h> aeq@pucc-h (Jeff Sargent) writes:
>>	Every 70 million years earth enters into a vast invisible
>> orange dust cloud that makes all creatures on earth stupid.
>
>If it's invisible, how can it be orange?
>
>--
>-- Jeff Sargent
>{decvax|harpo|ihnp4|inuxc|ucbvax}!pur-ee!pucc-h:aeq
>"Grate on the Lord, get on His nerves, and you shall get what you want...." :-)

Can you see the orange I am eating this minute?
So it's invisible!
				Duk Bekema

riks@athena.UUCP (Rik Smoody) (01/29/85)

> In article <325@scc.UUCP> steiny@scc.UUCP (Don Steiny) writes:
> >>
> >	Every 70 million years earth enters into a vast invisible
> >orange dust cloud that makes all creatures on earth...
>
>  invisible & orange at the same time (-8

Close your eyes and open your mouth.  What do you taste?

When it starts to taste purple is when I worry.
Rik Smoody

jfw@mit-eddie.UUCP (John Woods) (02/16/85)

> In article <325@scc.UUCP> steiny@scc.UUCP (Don Steiny) writes:
> >>
> >	Every 70 million years earth enters into a vast invisible
> >orange dust cloud that makes all creatures on earth stupid...
>
>  invisible & orange at the same time (-8
See, it works!
--
John Woods, Charles River Data Systems
decvax!frog!john, mit-eddie!jfw, JFW%mit-ccc@MIT-XX

When your puppy goes off in another room,
is it because of the explosive charge?