[net.lang.mod2] Reference ISO Pascal Standard

saj@iuvax.UUCP (02/15/84)

#N:iuvax:8600005:000:874
iuvax!cjl    Dec  8 17:31:00 1983

     Many of you annoyed by the ambiguous and imprecise definition  of
Modula-2 as I did may find it useful to reference the ISO Pascal stan-
dard.  Many problems in Modula-2 are really inherited from the  origi-
nal Pascal definition. ISO Pascal standard clarifies many of them.

     For example, the actual CBR parameters  can  be  any  left  value
expressions  (address  calculation)  including nested array,
record component access and pointer  dereference.   In  Modula-2,  you
will find pointer dereference is not documented.

     Just like its predecessor Pascal, I hope  the  Wirth's  style  of
language  definition  won't  hurt  the  popularity  of Modula-2 in the
future.  Judging as a whole, Modula-2 is still the  best  one  we  can
find to replace Pascal programming which is old now.

C.Jim Lo, Dept. of C and I Sci., IU-PU at Indpls
cjl@Indiana@UDEL-Relay

saj@iuvax.UUCP (02/15/84)

#R:iuvax:8600005:iuvax:8600006:000:600
iuvax!cjl    Jan 30 21:24:00 1984

It seems a good idea to consult the Ada specifications for the
definition of these new features which don't exist in ISO Pascal
specification than to consult the existent Modula-2 compilers.

For example, When a module is imported the runtime semantics "require"
its initialization part be completed before we can proceed further.
That automatically precludes the loops in the import-export
relation graph. My VAX-VMS Modula-2 compiler from Hamburger
doesn't check this kind of error. I cannot find clear definition
in the Modula-2 manual neither.

CJL, Dept. of CSCI, IUPUI
cjl@Indiana@UDEL-Relay

ags@pucc-i (Seaman) (02/16/84)

My Modula-2 manual (Volition Systems) states that cyclic dependencies
in IMPORT-EXPORT graphs are permissable so long as the initialization
portions do not depend on each other, since they may be executed in
arbitrary order.
--

Dave Seaman
..!pur-ee!pucc-i:ags

"Against people who give vent to their loquacity
by extraneous bombastic circumlocution."

ags%pucc-i@jett.UUCP (Seaman) (02/16/84)

Date: Thu, 16-Feb-84 14:12:06 EST

My Modula-2 manual (Volition Systems) states that cyclic dependencies
in IMPORT-EXPORT graphs are permissable so long as the initialization
portions do not depend on each other, since they may be executed in
arbitrary order.
--

Dave Seaman
..!pur-ee!pucc-i:ags

"Against people who give vent to their loquacity
by extraneous bombastic circumlocution."

phipps@fortune.UUCP (Clay Phipps) (02/18/84)

I wish that the Pascal Standard or Wirth's *Modula-2* book
had adopted the declaration concepts of
"introducing", "establishing", "elaborating", "constraining", "creating",
and "initializing", as used in section 3.2, "Object and Number Declarations",
in *Proposed Standard Reference Manual for the Ada Programming Language*,
July 1980, the predecessor to MIL-STD-1815A (the ANSI Ada standard).

These concepts, although somewhat arbitrarily named,
are useful in describing the effects of the declaration process.
They allow people to use reasonably well defined words,
instead of hand-waving, to discuss issues related to declarations,
scope, and regions (ANSI/ISO Pascal term).

They would have made it straightforward to describe the way scoping works
for identifiers in ANSI/ISO Pascal (which is different from how
all but 2 Pascal compilers I know of implement it).

-- Clay Phipps

--
   {allegra,amd70,cbosgd,dsd,floyd,harpo,hpda,ihnp4,
    megatest,nsc,oliveb,sri-unix,twg,varian,VisiA,wdl1}