[net.misc] Why do eyeglass frames cost so much?

phl@drusd.UUCP (LavettePH) (02/06/85)

>Last summer I bought a new set of glasses for the first time in 11
>years. I told the folks I wanted exactly the same frames as before
>and the fellow looked at his card (with my history on it) and said,
>"Why, yes, we have exactly the same frame you bought before, as you
>can see, here its ...er...um...iden...ti..cal."  The hesitation at
>the end was caused by both of us noting the fact that the frames
>were indeed identical except the new ones cost FIVE TIMES as much
>as the old. I bought them anyhow (what choice do we not-able-to-
>wear-contacts users have), but I'm still wearing the originals too.
>
>                                          Dick Grantges  hound!rfg

If you like the present old frames and
  if the new frames are "identical" with the present frames and
  if the present frames aren't bent or broken and
  if you can do without your glasses for a few hours or days,
why not have the optician mount your new lenses in your present old frames???

Make sense?

- Phil

ea@ahuta.UUCP (e.arias) (02/16/85)

REFERENCES:  <2950@cbneb.UUCP>

Recently Rus Putzke commented about eye glass frames and referred
to types as Gold Filled, Gold Plated, ...

Can anybody defines these commom terms which we always hear but
are hard pressed to actually know the differences between them.

ndiamond@watdaisy.UUCP (Norman Diamond) (02/20/85)

Someone asked for a few definitions:

(1)  Gold plated means that electricity and an electrolyte have been used
to deposit a layer of gold on the underlying metal.

(2)  Gold filled means that the underlying metal has been dipped in the
electrolyte, and some obscure laws of chemistry (obscure to a data structures
person anyway :-) ) cause a layer of gold to stick to the metal.  This
technique is less permanent, but it's cheaper, and it usually lasts until
the store's refund period has elapsed.

(3)  Gold toned means that marketers think they can make you think it looks
like gold.
--

   Norman Diamond

UUCP:  {decvax|utzoo|ihnp4|allegra|clyde}!watmath!watdaisy!ndiamond
CSNET: ndiamond%watdaisy@waterloo.csnet
ARPA:  ndiamond%watdaisy%waterloo.csnet@csnet-relay.arpa

"Opinions are those of the keyboard, and do not reflect on me or higher-ups."

lazeldes@wlcrjs.UUCP (Leah A Zeldes) (02/20/85)

In article <478@ahuta.UUCP> ea@ahuta.UUCP (e.arias) writes:
>REFERENCES:  <2950@cbneb.UUCP>
>
>Recently Rus Putzke commented about eye glass frames and referred
>to types as Gold Filled, Gold Plated, ...
>
>Can anybody defines these commom terms which we always hear but
>are hard pressed to actually know the differences between them.

Gold is described in terms of how much gold there is compared to how
much base metal.  Pure gold is 24 karat, but it is too soft to do anything
useful with, and must be bonded to a base metal to be shaped into jewelry
(or eyeglasses).  The type of base metal used determines whether it is white
or yellow gold.  Terms like 18 K, 14 K, 10 K, etc. tell you that there is
correspondingly less gold bonded to more base metal.

Gold filled items are still gold bonded to base metal, and then shaped, but
in a much smaller proportion of gold to base metal than karat jewelry.

Gold plated items are shaped of base metal, and then coated with a very
thin layer of gold.  The gold can wear off.

These explanations are off the top of my head; I haven't looked up the actual
proportions -- there are rules for how much gold there has to be to get what
rating, etc., but this will give you the idea.  Or ask a jeweler.
--

					Leah A Zeldes
					...ihnp4!wlcrjs!lazeldes

rfg@hound.UUCP (R.GRANTGES) (02/20/85)

[]
Next sordid chapter in the eyeglasses that increases (the frames)
in price by 5x in 11 years. In the last installment, I had forgiven
the greedy bastard opticians when it finally occurred to me that my
glasses said "1/2012KGF" which means, I think, that 1/20 th of the
weight of the frame metal is a 50% alloy of gold. Since gold prices
had gone up about 10x I was ready to forgive.
I was wrong again.
The Optician had said (several times) "Yes, we have the identical
frames." Indeed, they are the same model. But the new ones do not
say anything about gold at all. In fact, the finish is corroding through
already where sweat gets at it. They are, at best, gold plated.
I should sue.

--

"It's the thought, if any, that counts!"  Dick Grantges  hound!rfg

ndiamond@watdaisy.UUCP (Norman Diamond) (02/21/85)

> Next sordid chapter in the eyeglasses that increases (the frames)
> in price by 5x in 11 years.
> Since gold prices had gone up about 10x I was ready to forgive.

Gold prices have gone up about 3x during the last 11 years anyway.
(Somewhat less than the cost of living.)
--

   Norman Diamond

UUCP:  {decvax|utzoo|ihnp4|allegra|clyde}!watmath!watdaisy!ndiamond
CSNET: ndiamond%watdaisy@waterloo.csnet
ARPA:  ndiamond%watdaisy%waterloo.csnet@csnet-relay.arpa

"Opinions are those of the keyboard, and do not reflect on me or higher-ups."

rfg@hound.UUCP (R.GRANTGES) (02/23/85)

[]
One of us is nutty as a fruitcake. When did the US throw in the sponge
on $35 /oz gold? Seems to me it was within the last decade.

--

"It's the thought, if any, that counts!"  Dick Grantges  hound!rfg

ndiamond@watdaisy.UUCP (Norman Diamond) (02/24/85)

> One of us is nutty as a fruitcake. When did the US throw in the sponge
> on $35 /oz gold? Seems to me it was within the last decade.
> -- Dick Grantges  hound!rfg

U.S. citizens were trading gold at the same price as the rest of the world,
around $200 in 1971, and around $110 in 1974.  Same for around $295 now.

If you believe the U.S. government's price for gold (and the implication that
inflation doesn't exist anywhere else in the economy either), I've got tonnes
of stuff to sell you.  Unless it's gold, in which case I'd buy it from you :-)
--

   Norman Diamond

UUCP:  {decvax|utzoo|ihnp4|allegra}!watmath!watdaisy!ndiamond