[net.lang.mod2] Need info about Modula compiler

wegrzyn@encore.UUCP (Chuck Wegrzyn) (02/26/85)

	Sometime ago, Wirth announced the availability of some
	Modula compilers. These compilers were being distributed
	by ETH. Does anyone have information about these compilers?
	I need an address, a price, etc. I was also told that
	there was a place in Utah, The Modula Research Institute (?),
	that was handling them for the U.S.

	Any information would be helpful. Thanks a lot...

				Chuck Wegrzyn

				{allegra,decvax,ihnp4}!encore!wegrzyn

call@byucsa.UUCP (Rod Schiffman) (03/01/85)

In article <> wegrzyn@encore.UUCP (Chuck Wegrzyn) writes:

>	Sometime ago, Wirth announced the availability of some
>	Modula compilers. These compilers were being distributed
>	by ETH. Does anyone have information about these compilers?
>	I need an address, a price, etc. I was also told that
>	there was a place in Utah, The Modula Research Institute (?),
>	that was handling them for the U.S.
>
>	Any information would be helpful. Thanks a lot...

The Modula Research Institute distributes several public domain compilers
that were written at the ETH.  They are:

	M2M - The Lilith 4 Pass M-Code compiler.  Available only in
	      source.
	M2RT11 - A 5 Pass Native Code compiler for the PDP-11 running
	         the RT11 operating system.  This compiler was the
	         forerunner of M2M.
	SMILER - Cross compilers from the CDC6600 to 68000, 6809 and
	         come other processor I forget.  Written in CDC Pascal.

	They all cost $160 each and are distributed on magtape.  They
	also have a couple other products.  The best bet is to get in
	touch with them directly. Their address is:

		Modula Research Institute
		950 N. University Avenue
		Provo, UT  84604
		(801) 375-7400		ask for Lyle Bingham for
				        best service.
--

	{ihnp4,noao,mcnc,utah-cs}!arizona!byucsa!call

dolf@uva.UUCP (Dolf Starreveld) (03/09/85)

In article <396@byucsa.UUCP> call@byucsa.UUCP (Rod Schiffman) writes:
> In article <> wegrzyn@encore.UUCP (Chuck Wegrzyn) writes:
> >
> >	Sometime ago, Wirth announced the availability of some
> >	Modula compilers. These compilers were being distributed
> >	by ETH. Does anyone have information about these compilers?
> >	I need an address, a price, etc. I was also told that
> >	there was a place in Utah, The Modula Research Institute (?),
> >	that was handling them for the U.S.
> >
> >	Any information would be helpful. Thanks a lot...
>
> The Modula Research Institute distributes several public domain compilers
> that were written at the ETH.  They are:
>
> 	M2M - The Lilith 4 Pass M-Code compiler.  Available only in
> 	      source.
> 	M2RT11 - A 5 Pass Native Code compiler for the PDP-11 running
> 	         the RT11 operating system.  This compiler was the
> 	         forerunner of M2M.
> 	SMILER - Cross compilers from the CDC6600 to 68000, 6809 and
> 	         come other processor I forget.  Written in CDC Pascal.
>
> 	They all cost $160 each and are distributed on magtape.  They
> 	also have a couple other products.  The best bet is to get in
> 	touch with them directly. Their address is:
>
> 		Modula Research Institute
> 		950 N. University Avenue
> 		Provo, UT  84604
> 		(801) 375-7400		ask for Lyle Bingham for
> 				        best service.
> --
>
> 	{ihnp4,noao,mcnc,utah-cs}!arizona!byucsa!call

In an upcoming issue of the Journal of Pascal Ada and Modula-2 an article
will be published that discusses many Modula-2 implementations, their
availability, their quality, their origin etc.
Addresses of contacts for all the compilers mentioned are included.

Watch for it.

P.S.
I am one of the authors.

--
			Dolf Starreveld
			Computer Science Department

			{philabs, decvax, seismo}!mcvax!uva!dolf