[net.lang.mod2] can anyone help this man?

ken@ROCHESTER.ARPA (Ipse dixit) (03/12/86)

------- Forwarded Message

Date: 11 MAR 86 09:29-N
From: ELESHANS%HEITHE5.BITNET@WISCVM.ARPA
To: INFO-PASCAL@BRL.ARPA
Subject: Modula-2 M-code compiler req.

I have heard that there should be a public domain Modula-2
compiler around that generates M-code (like P-code). I would
appreciate it if anyone can tell me more about this.

    Hans Zuidam, (ELESHANS@HEITHE5.BITNET),
    Eindhoven University of Technology,
    Dept. of Electr. Eng.,
    Den Dolech 2,
    P.O. Box 513,
    5600 MB Eindhoven,
    The Netherlands.

------- End of Forwarded Message

treid@MITRE.ARPA (Thomas Reid) (03/12/86)

The only PD Modula-2 compiler I know of is a MacIntosh/Lisa distributed
through the UCAL-Berkeley which is attributed to Leo Geissmann (PDP-11 Modula-2
compiler) and Hermann Seiler (MC68000 code generator).  My bet is that it
produces M-code but whether you can get your paws on it is another story.

joel@gould9.UUCP (Joel West) (03/12/86)

In article <8603120319.AA14743@mitre.ARPA>, treid@MITRE.ARPA (Thomas Reid) writes:
> The only PD Modula-2 compiler I know of is a MacIntosh/Lisa distributed
> through the UCAL-Berkeley which is attributed to Leo Geissmann (PDP-11 Modula-2
> compiler) and Hermann Seiler (MC68000 code generator).  My bet is that it
> produces M-code but whether you can get your paws on it is another story.

ETH, Zurich distributed a public domain Macintosh Modula-2 M-code compiler
on net.sources.mac last summer.  I could never get it to work, but that
was for lack of trying.

The BMUG (Berkeley Mac User's Group) public domain library distributes
the ETH compiler, as do a number of other public domain libraries.

	Joel West	 CACI, Inc. Federal, La Jolla
	{cbosgd,floyd,gould,ihnp4,pyramid,sdcsvax,ucla-cs}!gould9!joel
	gould9!joel@nosc.ARPA
--
	Joel West	 	(619) 457-9681
	CACI, Inc. Federal, 3344 N. Torrey Pines Ct., La Jolla, CA  92037

rmarti@sun.uucp (Bob Marti) (03/12/86)

In article <8603120319.AA14743@mitre.ARPA>, Thomas Reid @ The MITRE Corp.
writes:

> The only PD Modula-2 compiler I know of is a MacIntosh/Lisa distributed
> through the UCAL-Berkeley which is attributed to Leo Geissmann (PDP-11
> Modula-2 compiler) and Hermann Seiler (MC68000 code generator).  My bet
> is that it produces M-code but whether you can get your paws on it is
> another story.

The man who "mated" the PDP-11 front-end and the MC68000 back-end and
adapted the resulting compiler to the Mac is Peter Fink.  I believe this is
the compiler which was posted to the net (in net.mac.sources) about half a
year ago.  I also believe that a version of this compiler is available
from the Stanford Macintosh Users Group.

I don't know why you think the compiler produces M-code, since you state
yourself that it incorporates an MC68000 code generator ...

--Bob Marti