[net.lang.mod2] ETHZ Modula-2 for Macintosh

jhk@csun.UUCP (04/22/86)

Quite a while back, an ETHZ Modula-2 compiler was posted to the net.
Does anyone know if a newer version of that compiler has been
released?  It seemed to be a pretty good compiler, but I found a few
bugs in it (processes didn't seem to work).

Thanks
--
Joe Kwan, Calif State Univ, Northridge Computer Science Department
uucp: {ihnp4, hplabs, ttidca, psivax, csustan}!csun!cs1!jhk

bobc@tikal.UUCP (Bob Campbell) (05/04/86)

In article <172@csun.UUCP> jhk@csun.UUCP (Joe Kwan) writes:
>Quite a while back, an ETHZ Modula-2 compiler was posted to the net.
>Does anyone know if a newer version of that compiler has been
>released?  It seemed to be a pretty good compiler, but I found a few
>bugs in it (processes didn't seem to work).
>
>Thanks
>--
>Joe Kwan, Calif State Univ, Northridge Computer Science Department

I have watched this type of message go by several times and I hoped
that some responce would come.  Since there have been none (posted to
the whole net), I have desided to release my private upgrade kit.
This kit still uses the OLD compiler (which does support processes,
but that is another problem later), and the OLD linker.  It however
replaces all of the library routines, and supports Standalone Programs
with menus, windows, dialogs, etc.

This upgrade was generated on my own time, (with some support from
scc-vax!keith) it is based on some clues that I have from working on
the PDP-11 (unix) version of this same five pass compiler.  I consider
it to be public domain with the same rules as the compiler.  (If on
the other hand you feel like sending me money feel free).

The full setup contains 32 modules and the Modula-2 Source code is
259K Bytes in size (the compiled libraries are about 160K) and then
there is the extra support tools, examples and documentation.  Posting
something of this size is a major logistics operation (which I am
willing to do but it may take time as I also have to work, eat and
sleep too).  Today I intend to post the documentation to
net.sources.mac, this documentation is not "super high quality", but
then I have spent most of my time on the code (as this was a project
to keep me busy until a real modula-2 compiler becomes available).

I am interested in knowing how many people would like this system,
(should I post it or only send it to people who request it),  and
should I just post the source (259K), and let people compile the system
them selfs (about a two-three hour job).

Now About PROCESSES:  the compiler supports processes, but the module
SYSTEMX does not (SYSTEMX is all the support routines which are not
directly handled in the compiler.)  It is possible to rewrite this
module to include the TRANSFER, and NEWPROCESS routines.  I believe
that the biggest problem with these routines is turning off the stack
sniffer.  (If you use a ALLOCATED stack the mac will detect the stack
pointer being in your heap).  My system includes the source to my
version of SYSTEMX.  I also have a program which will disassemble
".LNK" files, with which I have dissasembled the SYSTEMX file and
modified it.

Bob Campbell
Teltone Corporation
P. O. Box 657