[net.lang.mod2] Public Domain Modula 2 for Unix V

CTFerguson@HI-MULTICS.ARPA (Chuck Ferguson - SCTC) (07/22/86)

I have heard that there is a single pass Modula 2 compiler which is in
the public domain.  I read about it in INFO-AMIGA where a guy said he
was porting it to the Amiga PC.  I would like to know if anyone has
ever ported it to a 68000 Unix V system or if there are any other
public domain Modula 2 compilers for Unix systems.  Any pointers would
be appreciated.

                              Chuck Ferguson
                              Honeywell, Inc.
                              Secure Computing Technology Center
                              Arpa:  CTFerguson @ HI-MULTICS
                              (612) 782-7146

steve@wolf.UUCP (Steve Harrison) (07/24/86)

> I have heard that there is a single pass Modula 2 compiler which is in
> the public domain.  I read about it in INFO-AMIGA where a guy said he
> was porting it to the Amiga PC.  I would like to know if anyone has
> ever ported it to a 68000 Unix V system or if there are any other
> public domain Modula 2 compilers for Unix systems.  Any pointers would
> be appreciated.
>
>                               Chuck Ferguson
>                               Honeywell, Inc.
>                               Secure Computing Technology Center
>                               Arpa:  CTFerguson @ HI-MULTICS
>                               (612) 782-7146

Anything that you get back on this I would be very interested in.

Steven Harrison
Systems'n'Software

ihnp4!jack!wolf!steve

preston@felix.UUCP (Preston L. Bannister) (07/27/86)

>> I have heard that there is a single pass Modula 2 compiler which is in
>> the public domain.  I read about it in INFO-AMIGA where a guy said he
>> was porting it to the Amiga PC.  I would like to know if anyone has
>> ever ported it to a 68000 Unix V system or if there are any other
>> public domain Modula 2 compilers for Unix systems.  Any pointers would
>> be appreciated.

Er, I think a little confusion has been generated here.

Prof. Niklaus Wirth (and company) have developed a one-pass Modula-2
compiler.  There is a version for the Motorola 68000, National
Semiconductor 32000, and (probably) the Lilith.

You can license the SOURCE to the one-pass compiler from Modula
Corporation (in the US) or from ETHZ (elsewhere) for $1000 (US).

Some students at ETHZ wrote the necessary supporting modules
(file/operating system-type stuff) to port the compiler to the Amiga
and posted the BINARY to the net.  (I seem to remember something about
a Macintosh version also.)

Unless I'm greatly mistaken, the one-pass Modula-2 compiler developed
in Zurich is NOT public domain.

BTW, we are working on porting the compiler to our company's 68000/Unix
product (for internal use) using the Cambridge Modula-2 system as an
intermediate step.  If someone else out there is working on the same
problem, perhaps we can compare notes?

(Now if someone would port the one-pass compiler to my Atari ST... :-)

>>                               Chuck Ferguson

Preston L. Bannister
USENET:  ucbvax!trwrb!felix!preston

michael@ecrcvax.UUCP (Michael John Ratcliffe) (07/28/86)

In article <wolf.158> steve@wolf.UUCP writes:

>> I have heard that there is a single pass Modula 2 compiler which is in
>> the public domain.  I read about it in INFO-AMIGA where a guy said he
>> was porting it to the Amiga PC.  I would like to know if anyone has
>> ever ported it to a 68000 Unix V system or if there are any other
>> public domain Modula 2 compilers for Unix systems.  Any pointers would
>> be appreciated.
>>
>>                               Chuck Ferguson
>>                               Honeywell, Inc.
>>                               Secure Computing Technology Center
>>                               Arpa:  CTFerguson @ HI-MULTICS
>>                               (612) 782-7146
>
>Anything that you get back on this I would be very interested in.
>
>Steven Harrison
>Systems'n'Software
>
>ihnp4!jack!wolf!steve

Yes, I too would be interested to know of ANY Modula 2
compilers for UNIX 4.2Bsd.  How about summarising any replies
on the net?

CTFerguson@HI-MULTICS.ARPA (Chuck Ferguson - SCTC) (08/07/86)

My request for information on the public domain one pass Modula 2
compiler has brought several requests from people who want to share
the information but has brought no information regarding the
compiler's whereabouts (if it exists at all).  I will cross-post the
request to INFO-PASCAL and INFO-UNIX.