[net.lang.mod2] Command line access in PC-DOS 3.10 ???

jnp@daimi.UUCP (J|rgen N|rgaard) (07/25/86)

Does somebody exactly how to acces the commandline in PC-DOS ?
I'm working on a PC/AT DOS 3.1 and LogiTech Modula.
I can access the commandline (or is a copy ?) at 80H in the
segment I get back from a call to "GetProgramSegmentPrefix"
but I would like to be sure that it's the "real thing" I see.

BTW. Any idea how the modula-compiler and the editor ("MOD")
communicates, that is how does the compiler tell the editor
that compilation errors occured ???

				Thanks in advance
				J|rgen N|rgaard
                                e-mail: ....{seismo!}mcvax!diku!daimi!jnp

kushall.Henr@XEROX.COM (08/01/86)

CS:80H is the PC/MS DOS command line tail location(the real thing)
The value of CS:80H gives the length of the string in the buffer.
Note that the command part has been removed by DOS, that is the buffer
contains the tail of the line minus the .EXE or .COM file name

dan@CASEUS.WISC.EDU (Daniel M. Frank) (08/01/86)

   CS:80H is only the command line tail in a .COM program, and then
only right after startup.  For a .EXE program, use the ES register, which
will point to the PSP at startup.  Once the program gets running, all
bets are off.
   Let me point out that the Logitech compiler, which was asked about,
will read the command line instead of the keyboard input until the command
line is exhausted.  I don't have the exact calls here in front of me,
but you can check to see if stuff is on the command line by using the
high level text input call InputWaiting, or something like that.

johnl@ima.UUCP (John R. Levine) (08/05/86)

In article <344@daimi.UUCP> jnp@daimi.UUCP (J|rgen N|rgaard) writes:
>I'm working on a PC/AT DOS 3.1 and LogiTech Modula.
>I can access the commandline (or is a copy ?) at 80H in the
>segment I get back from a call to "GetProgramSegmentPrefix"
>but I would like to be sure that it's the "real thing" I see.

That's the genuine command line that you're getting back.  DOS puts it
there in the PSP (Program Segment Prefix, a chunk of memory reserved in
front of your program) for you.
--
John R. Levine, Javelin Software Corp., Cambridge MA +1 617 494 1400
{ ihnp4 | decvax | cbosgd | harvard | yale }!ima!johnl, Levine@YALE.EDU

MOD4@UCF1VM.BITNET (Michele Spear) (08/09/86)

     The Logitech Modula-2 compiler and its editor 'mod' communicate
through the use of a file.  The compiler creates an error file if there
were compilation errors.  If upon return to mod the file exists then it
knows there were errors, otherwise there were none ( I assume that the
compiler erases the error file before compiling ).

Michele Spear
<MOD4@UCF1VM>