[net.lang.mod2] Good book wanted

jenks@uiucdcsp.cs.uiuc.edu (09/25/86)

Can anyone recommend a good beginning book on Modula-2 that can also be used
as a textbook (for a short seminar)?

	ADV thanks ANCE

        -- Ken Jenks (jenks@p.cs.uiuc.edu)
                Lowly Grad Student At
                        Univ. of Illinois, Urbana/Champaign

For Sale: Apple Memory Expansion Card, new January '86, $239+tax new,
        I'll sell for $200 with 256K or $160 with 0K (you buy $30 chip set).
        E-mail or call (217) 356-7913 (That's Central time zone, folks).
        I'll pay shipping in US.  Original box, manual, etc., and I'll help
        you set it up with your system.  Such a deal!

d2c-mt@luth2.UUCP (10/03/86)

In article <8800001@uiucdcsp> jenks@uiucdcsp.UUCP writes:

>Can anyone recommend a good beginning book on Modula-2 that can also be used
>as a textbook (for a short seminar)?
>
>	ADV thanks ANCE
>        -- Ken Jenks (jenks@p.cs.uiuc.edu)>
>                Lowly Grad Student At
>                        Univ. of Illinois, Urbana/Champaign

Try the original "Programming in modula-2" by Niklaus Wirth, the
father of modula-2. (Springer Verlag). It is a good book on
programming in general and modula-2 especially. Also at the end
is included the "Report on The Programming Language Modula-2",
ie the whole language in 40 pages.
-------
mik2o
"World War III is imminent                Mikko Tyolajarvi
 PROGNOSIS: Many megadeaths, no blame."   ...!seismo!mcvax!enea!luth!d2c-mt
--------------- Any opinions expressed above belong to ME! ------------------

craig@comp.lancs.ac.uk (Craig Wylie) (10/05/86)

In article <312@luth2.UUCP> d2c-mt@luth2.UUCP (Mikko Ty|l{j{rvi) writes:

>Try the original "Programming in modula-2" by Niklaus Wirth, the
>father of modula-2. (Springer Verlag). It is a good book on
>programming in general and modula-2 especially. Also at the end
>is included the "Report on The Programming Language Modula-2",
>ie the whole language in 40 pages.

I don't think this is a good book for beginers to Modula-2. The index
in both the first and second editions is poorly set out and far from
complete. There are now many good begginers guides to Modula-2 appearing,
unfortunately none to hand (:-) at the moment.

Further critisisms of Wirths book include poor examples and bad layout,
many of the examples being nothing more that updates on his Algorithms + ...
examples translated to Modula-2. The sections on sets (page 30 in edition 1
if you can't find it in the index) and on module nesting are completely
useless unless you really know what you are looking for.

The section on IO is a complete waste of time unless you have his compiler
or one that sticks to the Lilth format. Any of the other different
IO packages is lost. I accept that it would be impossible to produce
a book with a complete run down on all the different IO definition
modules, but if you are working with beginners to the language
expect to have to produce some of your own documentation. As an idea
it might be worth producing a new index. If you do I would love to
see it :-) :-)

Craig.
--
UUCP:	 ...!seismo!mcvax!ukc!dcl-cs!craig| Post: University of Lancaster,
DARPA:	 craig%lancs.comp@ucl-cs          |	  Department of Computing,

jenks@uiucdcsp.cs.uiuc.edu (10/10/86)

>From pyrchi!pyramid!gould9!sdcsvax!loral!ian Thu Oct  2 20:14:08 1986
>

>    I have been meaning to answer this note for a few days now, sorry
>    its so late.
>
>    One of my favorite Modula programming books is by Ogileve (I am not
>    sure I spelled his name right).  The book is titled _Modula-2
>    Programming_ and it is published by McGraw Hill.  It is such a good
>    book that I wish I had written it.  This brings me to another favorite,
>    my book, also titled _Programming in Modula-2_, (Kaplan and Miller)
>    published by Hayden Books.
>
>    If you use my book I would welcome any comments you might have.
>

>		     Ian Kaplan
>		     Loral Dataflow Group
>		     Loral Instrumentation
>		     (619) 560-5888 x4812
>	     USENET: {ucbvax,decvax,ihnp4}!sdcsvax!loral!ian
>	     ARPA:   sdcc6!loral!ian@UCSD
>	     USPS:   8401 Aero Dr. San Diego, CA 92123

And...

>From parker@psuvax1.bitnet Wed Oct  8 06:25:26 1986
>
>Having taught Modula-2 twice, I can tell you that the absolute best
>book is "Modula-2: a software engineering approach" by Gary A. Ford
>and Richard S. Wiener (Wiley).  Do not waste your time with any of
>Niklaus Wirth's editions of "Programming in Modula-2".  His writing
>is incoherent and ambiguous.  What's really sad is that he can't even
>explain the underlying concepts as well as Ford and Wiener!
>
>Bruce Parker
>Computer Science Department             (814) 863-0415
>301 Whitmore Lab                        parker@psuvax1.UUCP
>The Pennsylvania State University       parker@penn-state.CSNET
>University Park, Pennsylvania 16802     parker@psuvax1.BITNET

After looking at each of the books recommended, I decided on Ford & Wiener's.
When the class is over, I'll post a message telling how it all went.  Thanks
for your help, everyone!

        -- Ken Jenks
		jenks@p.cs.uiuc.edu
		{ihnp4!pur-ee}uiucdcs!uiucdcsp)
			Lowly Grad Student At
		              	Univ. of Illinois, Urbana/Champaign

For Sale: Apple Memory Expansion Card, etc.

	Still.  Tell your Apple-using friends and relatives!