[net.misc] perpet motion - oil companies hiding plans is self-contradictory

davet@oakhill.UUCP (Dave Trissel) (03/21/85)

I've always thought that the ideas about oil companies (or any other business)
buying up or otherwise hiding ideas or patents which are so potent as to
revolutionize (and thus undermine) their field of activity is self-contradict-
ory.

The obvious reason is that if those ideas or patents are so potent, then
billions of dollars could be had by exploiting them, *not* hiding them!

Instead of scenario A:
		Charles - "Gee Bob, this new car design could possibly get
			   120 Miles to the Gallon!"
		Bob     - "OH NO! That would ruin my stock options. We better
			   get the leagal beagles on this right away to cover
			   it up!"

I propose scenario B would really happen:

		Charles - "Wow! Bob! This new car just might possibly get
			   120 Miles to the Gallon!!!!!!!"
		Bob     - "My God, Charles!!!  Lets get the company to sell
			   this to Ford or GM!!! It must be worth BILLIONS
			   of dollars to them!!!!  And our company will
			   MAKE A MINT!!!!!

	   or   Bob     -  "My God, Charles!!! Even if it takes two years,
			    by the time our tire company starts producing
			    cars we'll MOP UP THE WORD CAR MAKET AND BE
			    BILLIONARES!!!!!!!"

In other words, it seems to me that potent ideas are just ripe for picking up
gobs of many any way you look at it, EXCEPT FOR *NOT* USING THEM and gambling
on not LOSING money instead.

Is there something I'm missing?

Dave Trissel                 {seismo,ihnp4,gatech}!ut-sally!oakhill!davet

doug@terak.UUCP (Doug Pardee) (03/22/85)

Gee, I'd thought this was a series of humorous notes, but since it
seems to have turned serious...

> I've always thought that the ideas about oil companies (or any other business)
> buying up or otherwise hiding ideas or patents which are so potent as to
> revolutionize (and thus undermine) their field of activity is self-contradict-
> ory.
>
> The obvious reason is that if those ideas or patents are so potent, then
> billions of dollars could be had by exploiting them, *not* hiding them!

Well, somewhat.  First off, it's highly unlikely to happen on anything
patented, since the day the patent expires (which is earlier for ideas
which weren't put into production), everybody and his brother would
jump on the scheme, having had the term of the patent to verify that
it really works and to refine the concept.

While I don't believe that the big companies are hiding major break-
throughs, there are certainly reasons that they would want to hide them,
rather than make a profit.  Consider that IBM purposely put an unusable
keyboard on the PCjr, even though they had lots of usuable ones.  A big
company often feels that it has to protect its existing products.

Suppose that there really was a "120 mpg car", and GM has control of the
rights.  They would almost certainly sit on it, because there aren't
enough automotive engineers to redesign all of the models in GM's
lineup in a short period of time.  If they introduce a few models with
120 mpg, the sales of their other models will collapse instantaneously,
as customers decide to keep their old clunkers until they can get one
of the new marvels.  Sure, Ford, Chrysler, AMC, Toyota, etc would all
be put out of business.  But so would GM.  A Pyrrhic victory.
--
Doug Pardee -- Terak Corp. -- !{hao,ihnp4,decvax}!noao!terak!doug

dgary@ecsvax.UUCP (D Gary Grady) (03/22/85)

From davet@oakhill.UUCP (Dave Trissel) Wed Dec 31 19:00:00 1969
> I've always thought that the ideas about oil companies (or any other business)
> buying up or otherwise hiding ideas or patents which are so potent as to
> revolutionize (and thus undermine) their field of activity is self-contradict-
> ory.
>
> The obvious reason is that if those ideas or patents are so potent, then
> billions of dollars could be had by exploiting them, *not* hiding them!

I agree entirely.  And to add to your scenarios:

Irving:  "Wow, Bill, this car will get 120mpg!"
Bill:    "Oh, no!  We'd better supress it!"
Irving:  "But we could make millions at it..."
Bill:    "But if we supress it, we can keep making millions the
	  way we are already!"
Irving:  "Yeah, until somebody else invents it, then we go broke."
Bill:    "EEEK!!  You're right!  Where'd I put that patent
	  attorney?"

--
D Gary Grady
Duke U Comp Center, Durham, NC  27706

hollombe@ttidcc.UUCP (The Polymath) (03/23/85)

>From: davet@oakhill.UUCP (Dave Trissel)
>Newsgroups: net.misc,net.physics
>Subject: Re: perpet motion - oil companies hiding plans is self-contradictory
>
>I've always thought that the ideas about oil companies (or any other business)
>buying up or otherwise hiding ideas or patents which are so potent as to
>revolutionize (and thus undermine) their field of activity is self-contradict-
>ory.
>
>The obvious reason is that if those ideas or patents are so potent, then
>billions of dollars could be had by exploiting them, *not* hiding them!
.
.
.
>Is there something I'm missing?

Yes, the fact that all of these big businesses are economically  geared  to
be  concerned  only  with short-term profits.  They can't see past the next
quarter's bottom line and can't justify to their stockholders taking a loss
for  a  year  or two even if it means eventual huge profits.  Tooling up to
use an entirely  new  technology  is  horrendously  expensive.  That's  why
they'd  rather  suppress it.  It's much easier to continue in the old, less
efficient ways.

Note:  I'm not saying I believe in perpetual motion or gasoline pills, but
       the above principle does hold in real life situations.

The Polymath (aka: Jerry Hollombe)
Citicorp TTI
3100 Ocean Park Blvd.
Santa Monica, CA  90405
(213) 450-9111, ext. 2483
{philabs,randvax,trwrb,vortex}!ttidca!ttidcc!hollombe

lindley@ut-ngp.UUCP (John L. Templer) (03/24/85)

> >From: davet@oakhill.UUCP (Dave Trissel)
> >
> >I've always thought that the ideas about oil companies buying up or
> >otherwise hiding ideas or patents which are so potent as to
> >revolutionize (and thus undermine) their field of activity is
> >self-contradictory. . . . Is there something I'm missing?

> From: hollombe@ttidcc.UUCP (The Polymath)
>
> Yes, the fact that all of these big businesses are economically
> geared  to be  concerned  only  with short-term profits.  They can't
> see past the next quarter's bottom line and can't justify to their
> stockholders taking a loss for  a  year  or two even if it means
> eventual huge profits.

Along the same lines, there was an article in the newspaper today (from
UPI) about what oil companies are doing about their plight due to the
current oil glut.  They are dropping all their holdings in other
industries outside of the oil business, selling or writing off all
those services they got into as a means of diversifying.  In other
words, they are trying to solve their problems with more of the same
type of actions which got them into this mess in the first place.
--

                                           John L. Templer
                                     University of Texas at Austin

       {allegra,gatech,seismo!ut-sally,vortex}!ut-ngp!lindley

      "Freedom's just another word for nothin' left to lose."