[net.rec.wood] glue and stain

dwz@rruxu.UUCP (D. W. Zobre) (01/23/85)

I have a construction question. After all components of a
piece of work have been cut out and fitted, is it better to
stain each component before final assembly, or stain the whole
thing at once?

The underlying question is in regard to eliminating glue lines,
where glue has been absorbed where not wanted, verses the bonding
strength of glue over stain. Is there a right way and a wrong way,
or it doesn't make any difference?

Thanks in advance for any comments.

				rruxu!dwz
				Don Zobre (201)699-3115

saf@clyde.UUCP (Steve Falco) (01/24/85)

> I have a construction question. After all components of a
> piece of work have been cut out and fitted, is it better to
> stain each component before final assembly, or stain the whole
> thing at once?

An interesting question.  I much prefer to stain after assembly.  In the
first place, I generally need/want to do some final sanding to get the
joints perfect (I build guitars as well as furnature).  Staining first
wouldn't work.

I don't know that stained wood takes glue poorly but I expect it would
especially with an oily stain.  In any case, I don't know of any
factories which stain first.

A trick I have used successfully when I want to use a lot of glue (to be
sure I've got 100% coverage) yet can't afford "squeeze-out" is to apply
masking tape so that the wood surrounding the joint is protected.  Once
the items are clamped, the excess glue just peels off with the tape.

By the way, the thick, yellow carpenters glue tends to wash off "close
grain" woods like maple very well with warm water if you get to it
quickly.  Mahogany and other "deep grain" woods require a lot of water to
flush the glue out.  Better not to get it on the wood in the first
place.

There is one more factor.  You don't always need a penetrating stain.
If you are trying to enhance the grain, then a penetrating stain is
needed.  If, however, you just want a darker tone, you may be better off
sealing the wood first with a sanding sealer then staining over the
sealer.  This will prevent soaking in, which masks the sealing effect of
the "glue smears", and also causes end-grain to remain light (normally it
soaks up a bunch of stain and looks way too dark).

Two caveats:  1) if the stray glue is heavy, it will still show because it
wil be yellower than the sealer (and it may look like a "run"), and 2) the
stain must be "thicker" because there will be no penetration, hence you
need a darker, thicker stain coat to get the same color.

Bottom line: don't let the glue get on, wash off what does, sand off any
residue when dry.  You may still want to seal just the end grain for
more uniform color.

	Steve Falco

stadlin@hou2h.UUCP (Art Stadlin) (01/24/85)

> I have a construction question. After all components of a
> piece of work have been cut out and fitted, is it better to
> stain each component before final assembly, or stain the whole
> thing at once?
>
> 				rruxu!dwz
> 				Don Zobre (201)699-3115

I always stain first, then glue.  That way I can be a little less
careful with the glue.  Staining the pieces seperately is also
easier than trying to remove excess stain from tight corners
in the assembled piece.

If I'm going to apply a finish over the stain, I'll do that
after assembly.
--
  \\\
   \\\\                                  Art Stadlin

briand@tekig1.UUCP (Brian Diehm) (01/28/85)

> By the way, the thick, yellow carpenters glue tends to wash off "close
> grain" woods like maple very well with warm water if you get to it
> quickly.  Mahogany and other "deep grain" woods require a lot of water to
> flush the glue out.  Better not to get it on the wood in the first
> place.
>
> - - -
>
> Bottom line: don't let the glue get on, wash off what does, sand off any
> residue when dry.  You may still want to seal just the end grain for
> more uniform color.
>
> 	Steve Falco

I agree - assemble first then stain, but there are some other tips about
managing the glue problem.  I've never tried Steve's masking tape idea - it
seems like it would work, but from my reading and my personal experience, I've
found it is inadvisable to ever wash off glue.

Using water will thin the glue, which then soaks better into the wood - just
where you don't want it around the joint.  Instead, let the glue bead up (but
try to minimize the excess), and when it "skins over" pretty well (~15 mins)
THEN scrape the beads off with a cabinet scraper.  Without the pressure of a
clamped joint, the glue doesn't penetrate the wood beyond 1/64" (if that), and
the scraping of the skinned glue removes ALL TRACE of the excess!

Anyway, a golden rule according to many sources, and according to my personal
experience, is NEVER WASH OFF GLUE.  Period.

This isn't to say Steve's methods won't or don't work - woodworking results are
a personal matter of work methods.

-Brian Diehm
Tektronix, Inc. (who, because they do no woodworking, probably doesn't CARE
                 about my disclaiming their representation. . .)

lef@nlm-vax.ARPA (Larry Fitzpatrick) (01/31/85)

In article <tekig1.1828> briand@tekig1.UUCP (Brian Diehm) writes:

>> Bottom line: don't let the glue get on, wash off what does, sand off any
>> residue when dry.  You may still want to seal just the end grain for
>> more uniform color.
>>

>Using water will thin the glue, which then soaks better into the wood - just
>where you don't want it around the joint.  Instead, let the glue bead up (but
>try to minimize the excess), and when it "skins over" pretty well (~15 mins)
>THEN scrape the beads off with a cabinet scraper.  Without the pressure of a
>clamped joint, the glue doesn't penetrate the wood beyond 1/64" (if that), and
>the scraping of the skinned glue removes ALL TRACE of the excess!
>
>Anyway, a golden rule according to many sources, and according to my personal
>experience, is NEVER WASH OFF GLUE.  Period.
>
>-Brian Diehm

I have to agree with Brian. The rule is DONT WASH off glue adn the
procedure he outlined for removing the glue is the accepted method.

As far as staining before gluing goes, the ONLY time you might want
to do this is if you are trying to match a wood. That is, part of
your construction uses a wood different than the main wood in the
piece and you want to stain that wood to look like the main wood.

For example:
Commonly, birch plywood is used with cherry, walnut, etc pieces for
structural reasons, and since birch's grain is similar to cherry and
walnut, you stain the birch to match the other hardwood. In this case
you want to make sure the finish you give it will match the natural
wood if the piece. Hence the staining is done before the gluing.

	-fitz

Larry Fitzpatrick
lef@nlm-vax