[net.rec.wood] Varnishing

josh@topaz.ARPA (J Storrs Hall) (05/23/85)

I've been doing a lot of varnishing lately.  I realized I was
overdoing something when I caught myself stirring a cup of
coffee *very carefully* to prevent bubbles...

Does anyone have favorite methods for preventing bubbles in
varnish?  The only trick I've come up with is to position a light
so that I can see its reflection in the surface... which lets
me see where I've messed up.

Anyone with experience spraying lacquer?  Can it be done with
an airless sprayer?

--JoSH

dkatz@zaphod.UUCP (Dave Katz) (05/27/85)

In article <2081@topaz.ARPA> josh@topaz.ARPA (J Storrs Hall) writes:
>Does anyone have favorite methods for preventing bubbles in
>varnish?

One age old method to reduce bubbles is to always varnish with the grain
and in one direction.  At the end of the stroke, lift the brush, go back
to a position beside where the previous stroke started, and apply next
brush stroke.  Presumably, this reduces the flexing of the bristles, and hence
the chance to pick up bubbles.  It works!!!.

One finding of mine is that the "bubble free" synthetic foam brushes
don't work as advertised (at least they didn't for me!!!).

D.K.