[net.rec.wood] Power tool recommendations

bobh@teklabs.UUCP (Bob Hubbard) (06/24/85)

Why hasnt anyone mentioned Shopsmith? Even as a combination tool
(table saw, drill press, sander, lathe, boring drill) I found it
to be superior in quality and accuracy to the usual Sears, B&D and
Rockwell junk. It also expands to include jointer, planer, jig saw,
band saw, molder, shaper ad nauseum! After several years I am even
more pleased. I especially like the variable speeds. I sure cant blame
the tools anymore!

lef@nlm-vax.ARPA (Larry Fitzpatrick) (06/28/85)

In article <3122@teklabs.UUCP> bobh@teklabs.UUCP (Bob Hubbard) writes:
>Why hasnt anyone mentioned Shopsmith? Even as a combination tool
>(table saw, drill press, sander, lathe, boring drill) I found it
>to be superior in quality and accuracy to the usual Sears, B&D and
>Rockwell junk. It also expands to include jointer, planer, jig saw,
>band saw, molder, shaper ad nauseum! After several years I am even
>more pleased. I especially like the variable speeds.

i considered Shopsmith briefly. The MAJOR turnoff was that most accessories
(saw blades, etc) MUST be purchased through Shopsmith (hole size is non-
standard.  This led me to wonder what other little goodies that I didn't
know about would turn up.

There is also this general impression that all-in-one gadgets tend
not to do any one job as well as specialized gadget for each job.

Initial outlay is fairly high, especially if you are not sure you
need all those things (lathe, etc).

Correct me if I am wrong ... my mind can be changed

-fitz

megcng@mb2c.UUCP (Carter Grabarczyk) (07/02/85)

> In article <3122@teklabs.UUCP> bobh@teklabs.UUCP (Bob Hubbard) writes:
> >Why hasnt anyone mentioned Shopsmith? Even as a combination tool
> >(table saw, drill press, sander, lathe, boring drill) I found it
> >to be superior in quality and accuracy to the usual Sears, B&D and
> >Rockwell junk. It also expands to include jointer, planer, jig saw,
> >band saw, molder, shaper ad nauseum! After several years I am even
> >more pleased. I especially like the variable speeds.
>
> i considered Shopsmith briefly. The MAJOR turnoff was that most accessories
> (saw blades, etc) MUST be purchased through Shopsmith (hole size is non-
> standard.  This led me to wonder what other little goodies that I didn't
> know about would turn up.
>
> There is also this general impression that all-in-one gadgets tend
> not to do any one job as well as specialized gadget for each job.
>
> Initial outlay is fairly high, especially if you are not sure you
> need all those things (lathe, etc).
>
> Correct me if I am wrong ... my mind can be changed
>
> -fitz

Don't decide for or against a Shopsmith just because of the hole in the
blades. For less than 10 bucks you can get a 5/8" arbor that will allow
you to use standard blades. Whatever else you can say, it is a unique
machine.
Lathe: The variable speed is a plus; minuses are that it is fairly light-
weight, rattles a bit and is too low for most people (ideal height for
spindle is at your elbow).
Drill Press: Again, variable speed is nice as is the availability of the
table and fence. A little wiggly for metal but OK for wood. The horizontal
drilling feature is also somewhat unique in a home shop and has its uses.
Disc/Drum sander: To me this is the best feature of the machine. Variable
speeds and they will sell you plans for a nice dust collection system.
Table saw: I feel this is the weakest point of the machine, mainly because
of the small table, a tilting table (rather than a tilting arbor) and the
awkwardness of setting up the main table height to align with the auxilliary
table height.
Acessory machines (band saw, jig saw, jointer): Don't know about the jig
saw, but the other two are too small and in my opinion, priced too high.
For less or the same money, you can get a Taiwan Rockwell clone 14" bandsaw
(instead of 10") and a 6" Rockwell Taiwan clone jointer instead of a 4".
(The Rockwell/Taiwan clones are another story).
Common fallacy: It is said that it takes too long to go from one machine
to another. Not true! - it takes less than a minute.
If I seem a little negative, no flames please. I own one, although it did
drive me to buy separates and spends most of its life as a disk/drum sander.
However it is unique in that you can get a complete shop in a very small
space. It is also nice when you make a compound cut with the saw and then
are able to sand, drill etc at the EXACT same angle. It is the primary
tool of one of my computer buddies and he does excellent work with it.
Bottom line:

"The craftsman makes the tool; the tool doesn't make the craftsman".