[net.rec.wood] Shopsmith

bobh@teklabs.UUCP (Bob Hubbard) (07/06/85)

Yes fritz, the general impression WOULD be that a combination tool
should be a compromise but as I stated, I am still convinced after
several years that Shopsmith is of higher overall quality and
accuracy than the other brands I mentioned.  An important point for
me is that after heavy use the accuracy of cuts and general alignment
of the parts is excellent.  Cheap workmanship drives me nuts!  I agree
that the Shopsmith accessories run 10-15% high but I have found the
quality at least matches that.  I dont give a damn that Sears will
replace a cheap piece of ----!  An initial investment of $900+ is
high but at least you get it over with.  I'll disintegrate before
it does.  Worth consideration at least.

christensen@apollo.uucp (Wendy Christensen) (07/22/85)

I saw part of an exchange about Shopsmith, whether a combination tool
is a compromise, etc. My father was an engineer by profession, a
excellent woodworker by avocation, and a perfectionist by temperament.
He bought his Shopsmith in the early sixties (might have been late
fifties - I remember it as always being in his shop). He used it
heavily, never had any trouble with it, and recommended Shopsmith
to anyone who would listen. I started with woodworking by using the
jigsaw when I was about eight or nine years old. My younger brother,
who is a carpenter by trade, inherited the machine, and uses it daily
to this day. He has never had any problems with it either, and, like
my father, he is something of a perfectionist. I recently bought my own
Mark V (with the bandsaw) and am eagerly waiting for it to be delivered.
I never heard anyone say anything negative about Shopsmith, other than
quibblings about accessory prices and such. As far as I am concerned,
the few extra dollars are more than worth it. There is nothing more
depressing than poor-quality tools. As far as a combination tool
being a compromise, I sometimes think that this is an opinion that
tends to come from the "golden-ear" snobs (to use a phrase from
net.audio) for whom nothing is quite good enough, ESPECIALLY if
it is used and appreciated by anyone else.

w. christensen

ell@linus.UUCP (Edward L. Lafferty) (08/03/85)

In article <27e04fd2.a51@apollo.uucp> christensen@apollo.uucp (Wendy Christensen) writes:

>I never heard anyone say anything negative about Shopsmith, other than
>quibblings about accessory prices and such.

Just don't try to crosscut a long (6' or greater) with it. Since it is
a tilting table (rather than a tilt arbor) mechanism you will foul the
board on the ways (the rods that the saw/drill carriage ride). There
are other difficulties with tilt table saws having to do with holding
the material firmly on certain difficult cuts, too. I find that a
radial arm saw is very nice for x-cutting and a table saw (tilt arbor)
is nice for ripping. ....but tastes differ.

Ed Lafferty
MITRE

toma@tekchips.UUCP (Tom Almy) (08/08/85)

I bought my Shopsmith about a year ago, and wished I bought it years
ago!  Let's face it, it appears to be awfully expensive, but its
utility and quality more than make up for it.  I don't have any
add-on tools, but I am planning to buy the band saw sometime within
the next year.  I also own a Craftsman radial arm saw and jig saw
(the latter about 30 years old).  Also a wide variety of hand tools,
powered and not.   Here are my comments about the different functions:

General--Speed control is a big win.  Sturdy and machined well, but I
wish the table was cast iron instead of aluminum.  Some operations
need extra bracing for accuracy, the experts at the store have lots
of tips, but no mention of this is made in the manuals.  Speaking of
which, if you are in an area with a factory store, the support is
great (a big selling point!).  They have free short classes as well
as reasonable cost hands-on 1 3 or 4 day classes.  Excellent set of
manuals come with the machine--includes a basic course on using the
Shopsmith.  They don't want you to fail -- their customers are their
best salespeople!

Table Saw-- I feel that this is its weakest function.  The table is
really too small for crosscutting, and the tilting table makes
beveling real tough.  But then I use my radial arm saw for that, and
it peforms the job better than a table saw would anyway (no flames,
please!).  If I didn't have a radial arm saw, I might have thought
more about the wisdom of a Shopsmith.  Adjusting the cutting depth by
moving the table up and down is a disadvantage because any extension
table(s) (btw, I bought an additional one) or rollers must be readjusted
as well.

On the plus side, its footprint is smaller than any **good** table
saw (with extensions) and it does a fine job of cutting sheets of plywood.
With a 5/8" arbor you can use standard (non-Shopsmith) blades and
accessories.  I have made my own table inserts.

Sander-- Nice big sanding disk.  Very flexible since you can use
just about any table-saw-like setup.  Can mount a disk on each side
(different grits).

Lathe-- Never used a lathe before; I even took their one day class
on how to turn wood.  Great fun.  Can't compare with other's except
it does seem to have greater capacity (esp. for bowls).  I think
tool rest could be easier to adjust and wider as well.

Drill Press-- Large capacity.  Uses the table saw's table so you can
tilt it and use the mitre gauge and rip fence to allign the work.
Disadvantage is that it is the most radical change of the five so
takes longest set-up time (and I tend to use this alot).

Horizontal boring machine-- Some may not count this as an extra tool
since it is the drill press lying horizontally with the table
horizontal!  But boy is it a big win for me.  Great for drilling
dowel holes for gluing up table tops.  I do alot of this (I am
making some solid wood furniture), and this function was worth the
cost of the machine for me.

Conclusion -- Unless you have both lots of money (to buy professional
quality stationary tools) and lots of space, BUY IT!
(You also get a 30 day trial period--return it if you don't like it).

toma@tekchips.UUCP (Tom Almy) (08/08/85)

An additional note.  I talked to a fellow who owned a Mark VII.
This machine was made for a period of a year or two in the late
1950's.  The Shopsmith info shows a picture of it and mentions that
it had a built-in shop vac.  Actually it had other clever inovations:

1. The "V" means 5-in-1, "VII" means 7-in-1.  What is the seventh?
It is a shaper.  Aha, you say, there is already a shaper attachment.
But the Mark VII was capable of tilting up at either end!  This way
the motor can be under the table as well as the (Shopsmith) method
of above the table!  Much better for router/shaper operations!

2. The VII's motor was reversible!  Needed for shaper, but also nice
for final sanding of wood turnings.