[net.rec.wood] Shopsmith versus Master Woodcraft 5 in 1

elliot@well.UUCP (Elliot Fabric) (08/16/85)

I just found this conference. Propitious timing. Am about to plunge
for either:
   1) Shopsmith V, only combo I had ever heard of.  My neighbor has the VII
and frumps at the lower quality, lighter weight V. I never compared them.
   2) A radial arm saw, probably Sears, plus a jointer.
   3) A Shopsmith knockoff, like Master Woodcrafts 5 in 1. I found them on
page 134 of August Popular Mechanics.  MW has an 800-421-2467 number and takes
collect calls from Calif. on 213-549-0761.  They are ~$300 cheaper than SS,
and say they copied the SS when SS's patent expired. MW claims cast iron table,
more horsepower, and an automatic brake as improvements.  All of SS accessories
fit it, and MW makes their own, too.  5 Year warranty. MW owned by Am.Machine&
Tool, or owners of both are the same.  I've never seen one.
   All comments appreciated. Thank you *very much* for having the SS
discussion here.  I've gotten 5 times the feedback from discussion, than
people I've met with direct SS experience.
     All of the positive SS talk, makes me feel like buying one.
[Hope this posting works, it's my first on Usenet]

toma@tekchips.UUCP (Tom Almy) (08/20/85)

In article <134@well.UUCP> elliot@well.UUCP (Elliot Fabric) writes:

>I just found this conference. Propitious timing. Am about to plunge
>for either:
>   1) Shopsmith V ...
>   2) A radial arm saw, probably Sears, plus a jointer.
>   3) A Shopsmith knockoff, like Master Woodcrafts 5 in 1...
>      MW claims cast iron table, more horsepower, and an automatic
>      brake as improvements...

A saw a Shopsmith knockoff in a store before I ever saw a Shopsmith
(which I bought within a few weeks after seeing).  The knockoff (brand
I cannot remember) did have at least the cast iron table but it also
had a lousy paint job and poor metal finishing (rough castings).
Just not very well made.  The ripoffs are all imported from cheap-labor
factories in the orient (NOT Japan).  While a brake would be nice, I have
never felt the need for more horsepower in my Mark V.

I think that you get what you pay for.  (I wonder if you can mount the MW
table on a Shopsmith?)

Radial Arm saws are nice (I have one as well), especially for cross
cutting, which the Shopsmith doesn't do very conveniently.  But the things
must be the most dangerous tool in the shop.  I feel more comfortable
using a table saw, especially with molding heads or dadoes.

aragones@steinmetz.UUCP (Aragones) (09/13/85)

As a new Shopsmith owner, I'd suggest staying with
the Shopsmith.  I just noticed something in their
catalogs saying something to the effect that they
would refuse selling Shopsmith brand accessories to
non-Shopsmith owners.  The Mark V occasionally goes
on sale at $200 or $300 off, so the lower price
of the Master Woodcraft shouldn't make as much of a
difference.  Having 5 units in 1 saves me precious
garage space, if nothing else.  In most cases, there
is no problem, as you can run the table saw/jointer
accessory together (this may also work with the disk
sander/belt and drum sander accessories).

Another nice thing about Shopsmith is the help they
give owners (there is a Shopsmith store less than
half an hour from here).  I had some questions about
cutting sheets of 3/4" plywood and was given several
useful hints (one was to get/make a panel saw).

There do seem to be some disadvantages with the Mark
V, but I'm quite happy with it so far.  Be careful
buying less expensive non-Shopsmith accessories,
their own attachments are usually more convenient to
use on the Mark V.  If you have the space, you may
be able to save some money by only buying the tools
you want (maybe you don't want a lathe or disk
sander, but you do want a belt sander).

I'm enrolled in their 3 day course later this month,
if there is any interest, I'll post a review.

-jim
--
Jim Aragones