[net.rec.wood] Tools

de@moscom.UUCP (Dave Esan) (10/21/85)

I have spent some very happy times watching "The Woodwright's Shop"
on PBS, and some very frustrating times trying to find any of the tools
that he uses.  Chisels are relatively easy to find, but try looking for
a hand router or a drawknife.

1) Are there any suggested catalogues that I may send to?
2) I am also interested in which catalogues people use for other tools?

Thanks

David Esan (ritcv!moscom!de)

steveh@hammer.UUCP (Stephen Hemminger) (10/24/85)

If you are willing to spend $$ for hand tools, check out the Garret Wade
mail order catalog.  I wanted a plane blade and the local woodworkers shop
suggested I check there, turns out they order all their hand tools from them.

GW is a bit pricy, since some of the tools are not manufactured in quanity
anymore so they cost ($150 for a small skew edge plane).

The catalog is $3, and there is an 800 number, don't have it here right now.

gene@datacube.UUCP (10/25/85)

Try writing or calling Woodcraft Supply at the address
below.  They used to have a catalog that listed every wood
working widget known to man and womenkind.  They've cut
pack on what they stock in the last two years but they
still list a good variety of tools in their catalog.

Woodcraft Supply Corp.
13 Montvale Ave.
Woburn, MA
617-935-6414

                     /|\        ihnp4!datacube!gene
Gene Hall             |         ima!inmet!mirror!datacube!gene
Datacube, Inc.      o | o       decvax!genrad!wjh12!mirror!datacube!gene
Peabody, MA     <-----|----->   decvax!cca!mirror!datacube!gene
617.535.6644        o | o       {mit-eddie,cyb0vax}!mirror!datacube!gene

                     \|/

rbc@houxu.UUCP (R.CONNAGHAN) (10/25/85)

Two catalogs I like for tools:

	1) Brookstone "Hard to find tools"
	   127 Vode Farm Road
	   Peterborough, NH. 03458

	   Tools and other things: Planes, hammers, digital rain gage
	   Plug cutters, Japanese cabinetmakers hand saw, Tap and die set
	   for wood dowel, Gourmet Kitchen stuff (the cheese grater with
	   a bowl underneath is shown on the same page as a carbide circular
	   saw blade)...

	   They have a shop in New York City around the South Sea Port area.
	   I've been there.  Neat.

	2) Leichtung Inc. "The Workbench people"
	   4944 Commerce Parkway
	   Cleveland, Ohio 44128
	   Order Phone # 800-321-6840

	   More for the wood worker than Brookstone.
	   Forstner Bits (Drils flat bottom holes), Doweling Jigs, all
	   kinds of special fastners (brass inserts, right angle inserts),
	   Power tools, Circular glass cutter, Wood carving tools,
	   shavehooks, kitchen stuff, fireplace stuff...
--
Robert Connaghan
WE 32100 Microprocessor Group

de@moscom.UUCP (Dave Esan) (10/30/85)

A short time ago I posted a question on good sources for hand tools.  I got
a lot of response, and to each of you I send a thanks.  The best suggestion
I got was to look at Fine Woodworking magazine and order catalogs from there.

I am posting the responses (editted to protect the innocent) below.

Thanks again.

David Esan (ritcv!moscom!de)

	I can't provide an answer to your first question off hand? A good
place to look for catalogs is in the Fine Woodworking magazine. They have
all of there ads grouped in the front and back of the magazine. I have found
about a dozen catalogs that I have sent for through them.

to be very good, both in price and speed. On my latest order I mailed
it on Saturday morning and had the UPS package by Thursday. I don't
have the address offhand, but I can get it for you if you are interested.
They also advertise in Fine Woodworking. I have not bought any large tools
from them yet. I have bought some hand tools, clamps, doweling pins, etc.

	I have found that a good place to purchase sandpaper is Industrial
Abrasives. I also don't have their address, but can get it for you.

	As an aside to the above, one place to possibly find antique
tools (I believe that's what they are really dealing with on the
Woodwright's Shop) would be at an antique estate auction. The Sunday
morning D&C usually lists a couple of estate auctions in the business
section that have tools available.

I don't know of any tools catalogs offhand but I suggest looking through
an issue of Fine Woodworking magazine.  Besides being the best woodworking
magazine I know of, it is full of advertisements on tools (I drool every
time I pick it up).  If you don't find the tool you are looking for
directly advertised you can at least get some good companies to order
catalogs from.

Heres a couple mail order palces that have many hand tools and unique
stuff like the drawknife and hand plans you looking for:

   The Fine Tool Shops Inc.
     20 Backus Ave.
     P.O. box 1262
     Danbury, CT   06810   1-800-243-1037

   Constantine's
     2050 Eastchester Road
     Bronx, N.Y.   10461   1-800-223-8087

Hope this helps.

Garrett Wade in N.Y. pisses me off by charging 3 bucks for
their catalog but it is well worth it. They have an excellent
selection of the type of tools you are looking for.

There are lots of mail order tool places. Pick up a copy of Fine
Woodworking and look at the advertisements. I usually go to Woodcraft
Supply or mail order stuff from Garret Wade. I like Japanese tools as
well, and there are several stores who specialize in Japanese tools.

davek@masscomp.UUCP (David Kearney) (11/05/85)

In article <24100001@datacube.UUCP> gene@datacube.UUCP writes:

>Try writing or calling Woodcraft Supply at the address
>below.  They used to have a catalog that listed every wood
>working widget known to man and womenkind.  They've cut
>pack on what they stock in the last two years but they
>still list a good variety of tools in their catalog.
>
>Woodcraft Supply Corp.
>13 Montvale Ave.
>Woburn, MA
>617-935-6414

I tried calling this number and found that the number to order
the catalog from is different.  The correct number is: 617-935-5860.
The above number is the retail store...

I also found out that if you order the catalog by phone it is
free, but if you pick one up at the retail store, it's $3.
That is what the guy at the retail store said anyway.

>Gene Hall

Thanx Gene, I was looking for a woodworking store around here.

Dave Kearney - (617) 692-6200 x2291
Masscomp, One Technology Park, Westford, MA 01886
{decvax,harpo,tektronix}!masscomp!davek
It's so lonely on my saddle since my horse died