[net.rec.wood] band vs table saws

toma@tekchips.UUCP (Tom Almy) (10/30/85)

In article <344@tove.UUCP> pds@tove.UUCP (Dave Stotts) writes:

>   Here's another topic for discussion... which power tool is more useful
>to you as a woodworker...a table saw, or a band saw?  Table saws are more
>often the first tools purchased for a shop, but several articles I have read
>in Fine Woodworking on setting up a shop have recommended buying a band saw
>first, as it is more versatile (resaws lumber) and its work less easily
>duplicated by other tools.  Any opinions?

Well I don't have a band saw (it is next on my purchase list, though), but I
can't see how it is more versitile than a table saw.  The table saw can be
used to resaw lumber up to 2x the cutting depth, and makes a straighter cut
(no cupping) as well.  A jig saw (which I do have) or even a hand-held sabre
saw can be used for decorative cuts on thin wood.  The band saw wins over the table saw for decorative cuts and cutting very thick lumber.
On the other hand, the table saw makes standard cuts with great accuracy,
and can be used for dadoing and shaping with the appropriate attachments.

A more controversial question, I believe, is "which is the better first
stationary tool, a table saw or a radial arm saw?".  I now have both (the
table saw is part of a Shopsmith), and I find that I only use the radial arm
saw for crosscut operations, even though it is potentially more versitile.
My major complaint is lack of accuracy and fear (its got to be the most
dangerous tool you can buy!).

B.T.W., if I could only have one power tool, it would be a router.

Tom Almy

sasaki@harvard.ARPA (Marty Sasaki) (11/02/85)

I personally don't have a need for a bandsaw, but occasionally I lust
after one. The only real advantage of a band saw is to resaw lumber,
and to make veneer.

Because I don't have a bandsaw (or a jointer or thickness planer) I
usually buy lumber already finished on two sides and maybe rip it to
length. I have to pay a lot more money for this lumber. I can only use
lumber in standard thicknesses, when something inbetween would be
nicer.

I have seen "old time" woodworkers resaw boards by hand using a bow
saw. It was like watching magic.

I don't know whether radial arm saws are any more dangerous than table
saws. They certainly appear that way.
--
----------------
  Marty Sasaki				net:   sasaki@harvard.{arpa,uucp}

band@hao.UUCP (Peter Bandurian) (11/09/85)

I won't comment on band saws vs. table saws.  But I will mention one good
use which I believe is the best use of a band saw.  Namely, shaping wood
in preparation for carving.  Especially for carving in the round.  Alas I
do not own one.

			Peter Bandurian
			ucbvax!hplabs!hao!band
			decvax!brl-bmd!hao!band