[net.rec.wood] most valuable tools & other matt

tom@mirror.UUCP (11/14/85)

/* Written 11:39 am  Nov  9, 1985 by barrys@hercules in mirror:net.rec.wood */
/* ---------- "Re: most valuable tools & other mat" ---------- */
In article <34@midas.UUCP> daves@midas.UUCP (Dave Suryan) writes:
>As far as routers go, don't buy Sears.  Up to about a year ago
>I used a Sears 1hp router, until the commutator flew apart.
>The same problem occured on my Dad's Sears router about a year
>before mine failed.
That's funny, mine did the exact same thing.  I thought it was one of those
"once in a lifetime" type things.  I have quit buying junk* from Sears for
some time now.  If only I had learned sooner...
barry steel
*
 junk is defined to be ANY Sears tool (in my opinion).
/* End of text from mirror:net.rec.wood */

I assume you mean the Sears power tools are junk.

The Craftsman hand tools sold by Sears are NOT junk.  They are high quality
tools at reasonable prices, with guarantee that you can't beat.  (As an
example of their "Lifetime Guarantee":  I bought a combination square from
them that had a level built in.  I loaned it to a friend, who promptly broke
the vial of the level by dropping it, or dropping a hammer on it or
something.  I took the level to Sears, and they gave me new one -- no need
to show a receipt, no questions asked.)

As for their power tools, I use an OLD Sears table saw that is quite sturdy
and serviceable.  I wouldn't bother with any of the new power tools they
sell, though.  Too much plastic and sheet metal.

briand@tekig4.UUCP (Brian Diehm) (11/23/85)

>I assume you mean the Sears power tools are junk.
>
>The Craftsman hand tools sold by Sears are NOT junk.  They are high quality
>tools at reasonable prices, with guarantee that you can't beat.

The point has been made before, but you are drawing the wrong conclusion from
their warranty policy.  This doesn't mean they sell quality tools, it means
they themselves consider their tools to be disposable junk, replaceable easily
because they don't cost Sears anything either.  If you buy REAL tools, the
makers don't feel obliged if you can't take care of them - after all, they did
their part in making a quality product.  If you don't value tools, and you
feel no need to care for them or treat them like valuable helpers, then the
Sears policy will benefit you, and benefit Sears because they know you don;t
care about quality - you buy from them, after all!

     "We have no argument with those who sell for less.
      They know best what their stuff is worth!"

-Brian Diehm
Tektronix, Inc.  (which has no stated policy about Sears tools!)