[net.rec.wood] tools with lifetime replacement guarantees

In article <412@tekig4.UUCP>, briand@tekig4.UUCP (Brian Diehm) writes:
>>tools at reasonable prices, with guarantee that you can't beat.
>
>If you buy REAL tools, the
>makers don't feel obliged if you can't take care of them - after all, they did
>their part in making a quality product.  If you don't value tools, and you
>feel no need to care for them or treat them like valuable helpers, then the
>Sears policy will benefit you, and benefit Sears because they know you don;t
>care about quality - you buy from them, after all!
>
>     "We have no argument with those who sell for less.
>      They know best what their stuff is worth!"
>
>-Brian Diehm
>Tektronix, Inc.  (which has no stated policy about Sears tools!)

Does this mean that REAL tools come with no warranty at all?  Methinks
some snoots are too close to the ceiling.  Perhaps Sears tools have
a way to go before meeting the quality of the premium brands, but again I'd
hate to buy a warrantyless tool no matter how esteemed the manufacturer.  I
would not expect it to be honored on a genuinely abused tool, but something
that broke unexpectedly under normal use would, I hope, be backed by the maker,
like a screwdriver whose shaft came loose or a plane or saw whose
handle broke, while showing no other marks of abuse.

Can someone say whether the Sears tool line carried the no-questions lifetime
replacement warranty even way back when the quality was purportedly so much
greater than today's?
|        skokie, illinois        |
 --------------------------------   Path: ..!ihnp4!ttrdc!levy

guy@slu70.UUCP (Guy M. Smith) (12/03/85)

> Can someone say whether the Sears tool line carried the no-questions lifetime
> replacement warranty even way back when the quality was purportedly so much
> greater than today's?
> --
As far as automotive tools go, and I think this applies to all hand tools,
Sears has had a lifetime warranty at least as far back as the early seventies
(when I first came in contact with them). I believe it has been their policy
for a much longer time. Note that this warranty only applies to "Craftsman"
tools, not their cheaper lines. The quality of their automotive tools has
definitely declined. I recently had to replace my half inch ratchet and was
not that impressed with the new one. They still work ok though and are probably
not a bad bargain for the price. As for woodworking stuff such as chisels and
planes I've never bought from Sears but I understand that they are made by
Stanley. If you want good automotive tools (including some that would be useful
for woodworking) try Snap-on tools. They will replace defective tools (but not
if they've been abused) and the quality is outstanding. The prices are
commensurate with the quality however.

ark@alice.UucP (Andrew Koenig) (12/06/85)

> Can someone say whether the Sears tool line carried the no-questions lifetime
> replacement warranty even way back when the quality was purportedly so much
> greater than today's?
> --

S&K gives a lifetime warranty on their tools.  Are they crummy too?

quint@caip.RUTGERS.EDU (Amqueue) (12/06/85)

In article <612@ttrdc.UUCP> levy@ttrdc.UUCP (Daniel R. Levy) writes:

>Can someone say whether the Sears tool line carried the no-questions lifetime
>replacement warranty even way back when the quality was purportedly so much
>greater than today's?

>|       dan levy | yvel nad      |  my own and are not at all those of my em-

According to my father, who is 55 years old, Sears has had this policy since
he was a kid... which is why he always buys craftsman tools. He hasnt had
anything break on him that I know of; once a friend found an *ancient*
craftsman tool (crescent wrench, I think) and was going to throw it out.
My dad took it and went to sears; they gave him one that was identical
except for a difference in the "typeface" of the logo.

/amqueue