[net.rec.wood] advice sought on cutting board finish.

dms@fluke.UUCP (David Sherman) (12/18/85)

.

	I am interested in any recommendation anyone may have for a
finish for a cutting board.  I am a little reluctant to use "danish" oil
or linseed oil since it may be toxic or at least bad tasting, but I
would like to put something on it so it doesn't soak up water.
Presumably there is some kind of oil which will do the job.  Thanks
for any experience you can offer.

	David Sherman		decvax\
	John Fluke Mfg Co.	ihnp4  >!uw-beaver\
	PO Box C9090    MS 275G		   allegra >!fluke!dms
	Everett, WA 98206 USA	ucbvax >!lbl-csam /
	(206) 356-6373		hplabs/

gsa@fluke.UUCP (Gary S. Anderson) (12/18/85)

I've used something called "Kitchen Wood Care" manufactured by KWC Co.
418 North 35th Avenue, Seattle WA 98103.  It's available in the Seattle
area at Daly's on Stone Way.  The label reads: "Increase the life of chopping
blocks, salad bowls, bread boards etc., by rubbing into clean dry surface.
Apply regularly.  Kitchen Wood Care has been developed by wood craftspeople for
ease of application. It is tasteless, non-toxic and provides maximum
protection, without becoming rancid ...."

I've also used plain old mineral oil with similar results.

--
Gary S. Anderson (206) 356-5739
John Fluke Mfg. Co.

mjn@teddy.UUCP (12/19/85)

> What kind of oil should I use?
Several shop courses I've taken recommend common salad oil.  It needs to
be re-oiled every couple of months, but its non-toxic and cheap.

--
		Mark J. Norton
		{decvax,linus,wjh12,mit-eddie,cbosgd,masscomp}!genrad!panda!mjn

dave@fluke.UUCP (Dave Van Ess) (12/21/85)

> I've used something called "Kitchen Wood Care" manufactured by KWC Co.
> 418 North 35th Avenue, Seattle WA 98103.  It's available in the Seattle
> area at Daly's on Stone Way.  The label reads: "Increase the life of chopping
> blocks, salad bowls, bread boards etc., by rubbing into clean dry surface.
> Apply regularly.  Kitchen Wood Care has been developed by wood craftspeople for
> ease of application. It is tasteless, non-toxic and provides maximum
> protection, without becoming rancid ...."
>
> I've also used plain old mineral oil with similar results.
>

> --
> Gary S. Anderson (206) 356-5739
> John Fluke Mfg. Co.
> P.O. Box C9090  Everett WA  98206
> {uw-beaver,decvax!microsoft,ucbvax!lbl-csam,allegra,ssc-vax}!fluke!gsa

I have also used this product and I highly recommend it. It comes in a small
jar (about the size of cold cream) and costs about $3.00 This jar goes a
long way. I have finished about 30 to 40 bread boards with it and it's just
about gone. It can be purchased at the following places.  (Sorry to those
people who don't life in Puget Sound)

		Woodcrafters (in Bellevue)
		Underhill Unfinished Furniture
		Woodworkers Store (in Seattle)

							Dave Van Ess
							John Fluke Mfg
							Everett WA

nemo@rochester.UUCP (Wolfe) (12/21/85)

[ if you don't see the line below this one tell me]
[ if you don't see the line above this one tell me]
In article <1559@vax3.fluke.UUCP> dms@fluke.UUCP (David Sherman) writes:
>	I am interested in any recommendation anyone may have for a
>finish for a cutting board...

Mineral oil is non-toxic (well, it's a laxative but you'd have to get
on the order of a tablespoon of the stuff in you for it to do much so
that isn't a problem) and is readily available and cheap.  It won't
go rancid like vegetable or animal oils, either.  Of course, you have
to reapply the stuff every year or so, depending on how dried out the
board is getting.
Nemo
--
Internet:	nemo@rochester.arpa
UUCP:		{decvax, allegra, seismo, cmcl2}!rochester!nemo

mike@amdcad.UUCP (Mike Parker) (12/21/85)

I'd have responded by mail, but I got a path about 25 systems
long, and couldn't find anything much better. Someday I'll
learn to use the net  :-)

The finish of choice for cuttings is Behlen's Salad Bowl
Finish, it's guaranteed waterproof and non-toxic. ( No I
don't know what's in it ). Most of the mail order places
sell it, Trend-lines has a wide selection of Behlens
finishing products.

Mike

pls@sortac.UUCP (P.L.Sullivan) (12/24/85)

In article <1559@vax3.fluke.UUCP> dms@fluke.UUCP (David Sherman) writes:
>	I am interested in any recommendation anyone may have for a
>finish for a cutting board.  I am a little reluctant to use "danish" oil

About 12 years ago I made a 30 * 48 inch cutting board of hard maple and
asked the same question where I bought the wood.  Vegetable cooking oil
(e.g. Wesson oil, Crisco oil, etc.) was suggested over any of the "normal"
finishing oils.

Pour a good bit on, rub it in, let it sit moist overnight, then wipe it
thoroughly clean.  After a few days the oil soaks completely into the
wood so that non-food items won't get oily bottoms.  About once a year
we go over ours with a scrub pad and re-oil it.

Pat Sullivan - {akgua|akguc|ihnp4}!sortac!pls - voice 404-257-7382