[net.rec.wood] Questions re: table/radial arm saws, routers, magazines, etc.

pete@octopus.UUCP (Pete Holzmann) (01/27/86)

Hi! I'm new to net.rec.wood, so if this has been covered recently, please
mail me a copy and don't start all over again... otherwise...

I'm interested in buying some good quality power tools to start up my
woodworking shop.

1) A power saw and router seem like a good starting place. Would anyone place
higher priority on {drill press, scroll saw, jointer/planer, ???} ?

2) My understanding of the relative value of table saw vs. radial arm saw is:
	Table saw: more accurate 'cuz saw is fixed
	Radial saw: more versatile (I'm not sure why- other than turning it
		into other tools, why is it more versatile at sawing?)
    Would anyone out there recommend a radial arm saw for doing quality
	work? I'm inclined at this point to go with a table saw.

3) What are good table saw brands? Sears is handy (down the block), and I'm a
    sucker for things like the digital table saw (accurate to .005 inch, .1
    degree) on sale for $399. But...
	I would think other brands might be better, esp some Japanese?
	Has anybody USED a Sears digital saw? Is it worth the $$$ ?

4) Similar question, but for routers: What are good brands?

5) What woodworking magazine(s) do you like? What do you like about them?
    (projects, hints, ads, ???)

6) Where do you buy tools? Is mailorder safe in woodworking-land? (Unlike
    photography...)

Well, this has turned into a survey, I guess. Please mail responses, and
I'll summarize to the net if there is any interest in a summary.

Thanks for your help!
--
  OOO   __| ___      Peter Holzmann, Octopus Enterprises
 OOOOOOO___/ _______ USPS: 19611 La Mar Court, Cupertino, CA 95014

dkatz@zaphod.UUCP (Dave Katz) (01/30/86)

In article <192@octopus.UUCP> pete@octopus.UUCP (Pete Holzmann) writes:

>1) A power saw and router seem like a good starting place. Would anyone place
>higher priority on {drill press, scroll saw, jointer/planer, ???} ?

No

>2) ...
>    Would anyone out there recommend a radial arm saw for doing quality
>	work? I'm inclined at this point to go with a table saw.

I generally prefer a table saw.  Make sure it is a tilting arbor (as
opposed to tilting table) saw.  Working with a large project on a table
tilted at 45 degrees is DANGEROUS.  One problem that other woodworkers
have related to me regarding radial arm saws is that as the saw is
brought out the length of the arm, the arm deflects (in some form of
parabolic fn of the distance).  The result is that you can't use it
reliably for dadoes, etc. and you can't correct the error to get an
accurate cut.  I would suggest a table saw plus a medium duty circular
saw and good straight edge guide for making initial cut on full sheets
of plywood.

>3) ...
>    sucker for things like the digital table saw (accurate to .005 inch, .1
>    degree) on sale for $399. But...

I won't recommend any brand in response to the question (I have a
Taiwanese saw that is excellent) but will pass on a comment.  I recently
was talking with a person whose business is power tool repairs.  He
suggested that the digital ones be avoided.  They keep showing up at his
shop with problems in the electronics - apparently they are not built
rugged enough for the vibrations.

Dave Katz