[net.rec.wood] Makita Sander, Sears Saw, Brain Dumps

mike@amdcad.UUCP (Mike Parker) (02/01/86)

In article <47500002@ico.UUCP> chris@ico.UUCP writes:

>I'd like to throw in a plug for the Makita Finish sander. This
>is the small orbital model that uses a quarter sheet of sandpaper.

I had decided not to post to the net anymore, but I'm in a talkative
mood...

Chris is absolutely right, the Makita B04510 is the best $45 tool I
have, wouldn't be without it.

The article before Chris's ( at least on our system ) was yet another
usenet request for a brain dump. "what tools should I buy, woods
should I use, magazines should I read, projects should I build."
I'm not much of a flamer, but I'm really tired of these sort of
postings. I'd be interested in the difference in response between
this type of posting and a single question posting. I'm full of
opinions, ideas, and experience as a woodworker, but wouldn't know
where to start answering a posting like that and therefore don't start.
Most people I've had experience with who have said, "gee, I guess
I'll become a woodworker, tell me everything I need to know", have
spent a fortune on tools, half finished their first project and
never touched it again. I guess I do know where to start... I would
suggest that the original poster do something that he is interested
in, rather than something that he thinks might be interesting.

The article before that was a response to "should I buy a Sears
Flex Drive on sale". The poster says that he has the flex drive, and
the rip fence is hard to keep parrallel, and he's going to get a
Biesemeyer. Yep, he's right. I've got a Sear's belt drive, and the
rip fence sure is a piece of shit, think I'll get a Biesemeyer too.
So pretend the Sears costs $200 more than it does and then think
about whether the difference in price between it and a better saw
( Rockwell contractors saw? ) is worth it. I personally would avoid
the flex drive, I think that it will wear out soon, there has to
be considerable friction, what with that shaft under all that
load, bending 180 degrees, turning at 5000 RPM. Think I'd go for
a belt ( or three ).

Mike

So much for not posting anymore, flame on folks, maybe I'll finally
get the message.

--
 I love to go skiing on a Super Bowl Sunday.

 Phil Ngai +1 408 749 5720
 ARPA: amdcad!phil@decwrl.dec.com

mike@amdcad.UUCP (Mike Parker) (02/01/86)

In article <47500002@ico.UUCP> chris@ico.UUCP writes:

>I'd like to throw in a plug for the Makita Finish sander. This
>is the small orbital model that uses a quarter sheet of sandpaper.

I had decided not to post to the net anymore, but I'm in a talkative
mood...

Chris is absolutely right, the Makita B04510 is the best $45 tool I
have, wouldn't be without it.

The article before Chris's ( at least on our system ) was yet another
usenet request for a brain dump. "what tools should I buy, woods
should I use, magazines should I read, projects should I build."
I'm not much of a flamer, but I'm really tired of these sort of
postings. I'd be interested in the difference in response between
this type of posting and a single question posting. I'm full of
opinions, ideas, and experience as a woodworker, but wouldn't know
where to start answering a posting like that and therefore don't start.
Most people I've had experience with who have said, "gee, I guess
I'll become a woodworker, tell me everything I need to know", have
spent a fortune on tools, half finished their first project and
never touched it again. I guess I do know where to start... I would
suggest that the original poster do something that he is interested
in, rather than something that he thinks might be interesting.

The article before that was a response to "should I buy a Sears
Flex Drive on sale". The poster says that he has the flex drive, and
the rip fence is hard to keep parrallel, and he's going to get a
Biesemeyer. Yep, he's right. I've got a Sear's belt drive, and the
rip fence sure is a piece of shit, think I'll get a Biesemeyer too.
So pretend the Sears costs $200 more than it does and then think
about whether the difference in price between it and a better saw
( Rockwell contractors saw? ) is worth it. I personally would avoid
the flex drive, I think that it will wear out soon, there has to
be considerable friction, what with that shaft under all that
load, bending 180 degrees, turning at 5000 RPM. Think I'd go for
a belt ( or three ).

Mike

So much for not posting anymore, flame on folks, maybe I'll finally
get the message.

--
 UUCP: {ucbvax,decwrl,ihnp4,allegra}!amdcad!mike
 ARPA: amdcad!mike@decwrl.dec.com