[net.rec.wood] question: how to prepare house surface for painting

kolling@magic.DEC.COM (Karen Kolling) (03/04/86)

Last weekend I started painting my clapboard house.  I know about normal
surface preparation (cleaning, light sanding), but the east and west walls
are VERY badly alligatored, peeling, etc. and I suspect that I could make
my life easier if I knew more advanced surface preparation techniques.
The house was painted a few years ago with a dark brown latex paint plus
some bonding agent, over one or more coats of oil-based yellow.  The two
bad walls peel right down to the bare wood, so the bond between the latex
and oil-base paint isn't the problem.  I'm inclined to believe the theory
that brown paint heats up from the sun.  Anyway, I have this scraper tool
(not a spatula) from the paint store that easily takes off the loose
paint.  Problem, it then leaves me with a very uneven (huge, sigh) surface
where the chips of paint still tightly bonded to the house remain.  So, I
can spend a portion of my life sanding this by hand, but.....  Is there a
better way?  I have an electric drill, do I want a sanding attachment?  Or
what?  Thanks for any help.

Karen uucp: (allegra, decvax, ihnp4, ucbvax)!decwrl!kolling or
      ENET: CIRCUS::KOLLING or
      arpanet: kolling@decwrl.DEC.COM

begeman@milano.UUCP (03/07/86)

(Note: This posted because mailer returned direct reply as undeliverable)

In article <243@magic.DEC.COM>, kolling@magic.DEC.COM (Karen Kolling) writes:

> Last weekend I started painting my clapboard house....
> ... and I suspect that I could make my life easier if I knew
>  more advanced surface preparation techniques.

I've recently repainted my old farmhouse which had the same problem.  I
rented a disc sander (*very* high RPM - *much* better than an
attachment for your drill) for about $15 which did the job.  The
drawback to this approach is that it leaves swirls on the wood.  This
doesn't bother me much (in fact, you won't notice it after a few
weeks), but some people are more particular.

Another option is a water blaster.  These are normally used for
cleaning driveways etc, but people around here use them for getting the
old paint off a house too.  These can be rented too - it is basically a
compressor/pump that you hook your garden hose up to.  Sort of turns it
into a super hose - like the kind at the do-it-yourself car wash.
This can knock off a *lot* of loose paint fast.  The disadvantage here
is 1) if any wood is rotted or soft the pressure can actually gouge the
surface, and 2) you get very wet.

Heat guns are the third choice, but they are slow and don't work very
well for large areas.

Lastly, there's scrape and sand: my least favorite (oh my aching arm).

Good luck!
--
	Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most.

Michael L. Begeman              Microelectronics and Computer Technology Corp
Software Technology Program     Austin (where the sun always shines) Texas

uucp:   {ihnp4, seismo, harvard, gatech, pyramid}!ut-sally!im4u!milano!begeman
arpa:   begeman@mcc.ARPA

smh@mhuxl.UUCP (henning) (03/11/86)

****                                                                 ****
From the keys of Steve Henning, AT&T Bell Labs, Reading, PA mhuxl!smh

In article <243@magic.DEC.COM>, kolling@magic.DEC.COM (Karen Kolling) writes:

> Last weekend I started painting my clapboard house....
> ... and I suspect that I could make my life easier if I knew
>  more advanced surface preparation techniques.

I was advised to prime areas which blister and peel with boiled linseed
oil, then the normal primer, and then the finish coat.  I selectively use
the primer over bad areas when painting old previously painted wood.
I use a belt sander and keep the belt wet to prevent the paint from
clogging up the sandpaper.