[net.rec.wood] stripping brick

guy@slu70.UUCP (03/25/86)

While this isn't strictly a "wood" problem, this seems to be the most appro-
piate group. I recently purchased a brick house with at least two layers of
paint. It is peeling badly and even if I decide to repaint it, it will need
to be completely stripped to ensure the longevity of the new paint. Has any-
one out there got any suggestions for removing paint from brick. Also, if
anyone has a copy of the discussion on stripping wood trim (I've got that too)
could you please mail me a copy.

                                              Thanks
                                              Guy M. Smith

bill@crystal.UUCP (Bill Cox) (03/30/86)

In article <197@slu70.UUCP>, guy@slu70.UUCP writes:
> I recently purchased a brick house with at least two layers of
> paint. It is peeling badly and even if I decide to repaint it, it will need
> to be completely stripped to ensure the longevity of the new paint. Has any-
> one out there got any suggestions for removing paint from brick.

I haven't done this, but I would try to use a heat gun and see how the
paint reacts.  A Master (good industrial brand) heat gun runs around $80 or
so. Old House Journal sells them mailorder.

The heat gun is also a good way to strip wood trim.  Soften the paint
with the heat gun (aimed forward at an angle) and scrape the paint
with a hand scraper.

If the heat gun doesn't help on the brick (and it sure would be tedious!)
I would check for building restoration/cleaning services, and get a quote
on sandblasting.  Then you could repaint if you wanted.

Personally, I don't like to paint brick at all.

	bill

--
	William Cox
	Computer Sciences Department

kolling@decwrl.DEC.COM (Karen Kolling) (03/30/86)

> I recently purchased a brick house with at least two layers of
> paint. It is peeling badly and even if I decide to repaint it, it will need
> to be completely stripped to ensure the longevity of the new paint. Has any-
> one out there got any suggestions for removing paint from brick. Also, if
> anyone has a copy of the discussion on stripping wood trim (I've got that
> too) could you please mail me a copy.

According to The Old House Journal (Jan/Feb 1985 issue, do I love magazines
with a yearly index):

You're right, you MUST strip the paint to get the new paint to adhere to
the brick.  "Exterior masonry stripping [by chemicals] is difficult and
hazardous..... hire a contractor." -- when a magazine that believes its
readers can do anything says "hire a contractor", well..... They also say
figure $1 to $1.50 a square foot for chemically stripping brick.  About
sandblasting they say "To those of us who have been dragged to see hundreds of
awful sandblasting mistakes, it seems incredible that there should still be
any need to warn against it."  Also various mutterings about the bad effects
of sandblasting even when it's done properly.  They also raise a small voice
in favor of just scrapping the flakes off and letting time do the job, and
not repainting.  You could probably get a copy of that issue of the OHJ, but
my copy doesn't say what they charge per issue.  The address is: 69A Seventh
Avenue, Brooklyn, NY 11217.