[net.news.sa] uucp log in on spilt baud rate line

chris@mddc.UUCP (Chris Maloney) (03/01/84)

-
I am having problems getting uucp logged into a remote
machine where the port is a dual/buad rate line(1200/300).
The break will change the baud rate OK, but the baud rate
seems to change back again before the login name can
be sent.  This is standard 4.2 on both ends.

Can anyone help?
Thanks,

Chris Maloney
Management Decisions Development Corp.
7209 Dixie Highway
Fairfield, Ohio   45014
(513)874-6464

...{ucbvax,decvax,inhp4,mhuxi}!cbosgd!qusavx!mddc!chris		(uucp)

smh@mit-eddie.UUCP (Steven M. Haflich) (03/06/84)

>	The break will change the baud rate OK, but the baud rate
>	seems to change back again before the login name can
>	be sent.

Remember that 1200 baud modems are very sensitive to framing of
successive characters.  (Ever notice that garbled characters usually
happen in twos and threes?)  The active filters in some modems need a
significant recovery period after receiving a break.  This is rarely a
problem when a human is pounding the keys, but it may be that your
uucico after asserting break should delay before sending anything else.
What may be happening is that the remote modem gets a framing error on
your `uucp' login name (which generates *another* break) and toggles the
baud rate again.  The 4.2 uucico (specifically conn.c:sendthem) accepts
a specification of PAUSEn, where n is an integer number of seconds
(default 3 in my sources).  If not, add the code yourself.  Instead of
just putting BREAK in the L.sys login script, try:
	BREAK "" PAUSE2 ogin: uucp ...

Steve Haflich
MIT Experimental Music Studio

smh@mit-eddie.UUCP (03/06/84)

Date:Mon, 5-Mar-84 21:54:45 EST
Organization:MIT, Cambridge, MA

>	The break will change the baud rate OK, but the baud rate
>	seems to change back again before the login name can
>	be sent.

Remember that 1200 baud modems are very sensitive to framing of
successive characters.  (Ever notice that garbled characters usually
happen in twos and threes?)  The active filters in some modems need a
significant recovery period after receiving a break.  This is rarely a
problem when a human is pounding the keys, but it may be that your
uucico after asserting break should delay before sending anything else.
What may be happening is that the remote modem gets a framing error on
your `uucp' login name (which generates *another* break) and toggles the
baud rate again.  The 4.2 uucico (specifically conn.c:sendthem) accepts
a specification of PAUSEn, where n is an integer number of seconds
(default 3 in my sources).  If not, add the code yourself.  Instead of
just putting BREAK in the L.sys login script, try:
	BREAK "" PAUSE2 ogin: uucp ...

Steve Haflich
MIT Experimental Music Studio

phil@amd70.UUCP (Phil Ngai) (03/07/84)

I believe the 4.2 uucp also supports \d for delay in L.sys.
It seemed to be rather poorly documented, however.

--
Phil Ngai (408) 988-7777 {ucbvax,decwrl,ihnp4,allegra,intelca}!amd70!phil