[net.news.sa] Bug in news 2.10{,.1,.2,*} Makefile

scw@cepu.UUCP (Stephen C. Woods) (10/11/84)

In article <273@wnuxb.UUCP> netnews@wnuxb.UUCP (Ron Heiby) writes:
>I have installed the inews.c.2.pat in a test version of my 2.10.2
>inews (along with the corresponding patches for header.h and header.c)
>on my Unix 5.0.5 system (AT&T 3B20S).  I'd appreciate it if anyone
>out there who has success[...]with digits.  When I was doing beta testing
>of rn, under 2.10, I had the same problem.  I wasn't so careful that
>time, and incoming news got botched in the same manner.  Help!?  Thanks.

I have, and I can.  I had the identical problem with the Beta test version
and just didn't install the patch.  But with rn 4.1 came a warning that the
dependancies in the make file are wrong, I did some checking and ....

  Boy are they ever wrong.

There is however a quick fix, add the following six(6) lines to your makefile:
rparams.h:  params.h;@touch rparams.h

iparams.h:  params.h;@touch iparams.h

params.h:   defs.h header.h;@touch params.h

The reason that this patch is required can be deduced from a
'grep #include *.h'
(here with the <...xyz.h> stuff removed).

iparams.h:#include "params.h"

params.h:#include "defs.h"
params.h:#include "header.h"

rparams.h:#include "params.h"

Many *.o's depend on iparams.h or rparams.h but not on defs.h or params.h or
header.h *EVEN THOUGH* they are dragged along. I have not tried to figure out
just which module causes the DOXREFS to break, nor have I really attempted to
determine the CORRECT dependancy for each *.o.

You should put these lines into Makefile.{v7,usg,whatever} as well (just in case
you need to run localize.sh).
--
Stephen C. Woods (VA Wadsworth Med Ctr./UCLA Dept. of Neurology)
uucp:	{ {ihnp4, uiucdcs}!bradley, hao, trwrb, sdcrdcf}!cepu!scw