[net.news.sa] uucp mail vs. MMDF

terry@msdc.UUCP (Terry Countryman) (11/21/84)

Chuq's articles reminded me of a growing problem we are having
with uucp mail and sites running the MMDF mailer. Chuq's sendsys
article arrived here with this path:

And gatech (being on CSNET) is running MMDF (version 1 I think), and
it returned the sys file mail with this semi-nasty message:

> From gatech!mmdf Mon Nov 19 15:11:24 1984
> To: msdc!news
> Cc: postmaster
> Subject:  Illegal Address (nsc!chuqui@nsc.UUCP)
>
> 	Your letter has been intercepted trying to access
> a restricted access host (e.g. an ARPANET host).  A copy
> of your letter has been sent to the system administrators.
> The text of your letter follows.
>
>   --------------- Returned Mail Follows --------------
> >From news Mon Nov 19 14:23:26 1984 remote from msdc
> To: gatech!nsc!chuqui@nsc.UUCP
>         .
>         .
>         .
>   --------------- End of Returned Mail ---------------

It seems that MMDF does not know about the UUCP domain or it
just checks for the "@" and thinks that it is destined for the
ARPA domain.

With the growing number of sites running MMDF, it is getting
very difficult to get uucp mail to follow a return path to
an ARPAnet site.

Does anybody know if MMDF version 2 fixes this problem?

    Terry Countryman
    ...!{akgua,gatech,mcnc}!msdc!terry

I don't think that's the real problem: it's not that MMDF saw the @ and
said, "aha, ARPA host", it's that it couldn't find a route to
nsc.UUCP.  The check is done by a substitute /bin/rmail, and it has a
permission check that says something like this:

	if source host is in "senders.ok" then OK
	else if destination host is in "uucp.hosts" then OK
	else error

It does NOT actually check for ARPA hosts!  Back when we were running
MMDF 1 under 4.1, if someone sent mail through us to ``foovax!bar'',
where we'd never heard of foovax, they'd get that nasty-looking note.

I don't think MMDF II has anything better....
--
(This line accidently left nonblank.)

In-Real-Life: Chris Torek, Univ of MD Comp Sci Dept (301) 454-7690
CSNet:	chris@umcp-cs		ARPA:	chris@maryland

dpk@brl-tgr.ARPA (Doug Kingston <dpk>) (11/24/84)

MMDF II is much better.  Much has been done to the UUCP channel.

					-Doug-