[net.news.sa] Corrected AT&T Information Systems computer name changes

eli@ahuta.UUCP (e.mantel) (04/23/85)

This is a corrected version of the article previously posted.

On May 1, 1985, the names of the following AT&T Information
Systems computers will be changed:

        from    to    | from    to    | from    to
        =====   ===== | =====   ===== | =====   =====
        ahexc   mtexc | hocsj   mtgzj | hou5h   mtunh
        ahgpa   mtfma | hocsm   mtgzm | hou5i   mtuni
        ahgpb   mtfmc | hocso   mtgzo | houti   mtfmt
        ahids   mtids | hocsp   mtgzp | houxb   mtuxb
        ahmer   mtmer | hocst   mtgzt | houxg   mtfmg
        ahuta   mtuxo | hosba   mtsba | houxn   mtuxn
        ahutb   mtgzz | hosbb   mtsbb | houxt   mtuxt
        ahuxp   mtfmp | hosbc   mtsbc | lzpfa   mtgza
        hocpc   mtx5t | hou4a   mtx5a | lzpfc   mtgzc
        hocsd   mtgzq | hou4b   mtx5b | lzpfd   mtgzd
        hocse   mtgzk | hou5a   mtx5d | lzpfe   mtgze
        hocsf   mtgzl | hou5b   mtx5c | lzpff   mtgzf
        hocsh   mtgzn | hou5f   mtunf | lzpfg   mtgzg
        hocsi   mtgzi | hou5g   mtung | lzpfh   mtgzh

If you correspond with anyone on any of these machines, please take
note and change the addresses you use accordingly.  Thank you.

					Eli D. Mantel
					AT&T Information Systems
					Holmdel, New Jersey
					ihnp4!ahuta!eli
					beginning May 1: ihnp4!mtuxo!eli

todd@bu-cs.UUCP (Todd Cooper) (04/24/85)

Is there any rhyme or reason behind the cryptic names that AT&T now
has for their machines?  I would like to know so that it could facilitate
writing to inside of AT&T.  I had to call for software support on an AT&T
3b5 here, but could not figure out how to e-mail to them the problem.

--
---------------------------
Todd Cooper

UUCP:	...!harvard!bu-cs!todd
ARPA:	todd%bu-cs.csnet@csnet-relay.arpa
USNail:	13 Marlborough St. #1, Boston, MA 02116

gnu@sun.uucp (John Gilmore) (04/24/85)

> On May 1, 1985, the names of the following AT&T Information
> Systems computers will be changed:
> 	[15 lines of gibberish]

You guys should have changed them on April 1st instead of May 1st.

Let me guess, the new names are really the systems' phone numbers
run thru passhash...

If ihnp4 ever changes its name, we're sunk...
--
				Henry Spencer @ U of Toronto Zoology

gjm@ihnp4.UUCP (Gary J. Murakami) (04/25/85)

> If ihnp4 ever changes its name, we're sunk...
> --
> 				Henry Spencer @ U of Toronto Zoology
> 				{allegra,ihnp4,linus,decvax}!utzoo!henry

If it ever happens and I'm involved, I'll try to have a transition
period where both names are recognized for UUCP.

HoneyDanBer UUCP (a.k.a. Basic Networking Utilities #251 or later)
has a feature which allows such a transition period (yet another reason
to get it).

Any suggestions for a good name :-) (just kidding) ?

BTW, ihnp4 stands for "Indian Hill Network Processor #4"
(yes, ihnp[1235] also exist).

-Gary

mark@cbosgd.UUCP (Mark Horton) (04/26/85)

In article <364@bu-cs.UUCP> todd@bu-cs.UUCP (Todd Cooper) writes:
>Is there any rhyme or reason behind the cryptic names that AT&T now
>has for their machines?

Yes, there is.  The first two letters are the AT&T site name, e.g.
IH is Indian Hill, MH is Murray Hill, CB is Columbus, etc.  (How they
come up with these codes I'll never know: LZ is Lincroft, AK is
Atlanta, IX is Indian Hill South, FJ is Freehold, etc.)  The next
few letters represent the group that owns the computer, OSG is the
Operating Systems Group, DK is Datakit, UX (which stands for "UNIX")
normally represents a computer center.  The final letter or digit
usually distinguishes among several machines on the project, thus
"4" in ihnp4, or "d" in cbosgd, both representing the 4th machine
that got named.

What seems to have happened is that AH (ATT IS, Holmdel)
has finally had their new building in Morristown completed, and
in the move, their machines were renamed from ah* to mt*.  Roughly.

If this naming convention seems strange (in that it doesn't begin
site names with "att" or "bl"), remember that this convention has
been in use since before the UUCP net was started in the late 70's.
In the early days of UUCP, there were only AT&T sites, it never
occurred to anyone that any sites outside AT&T would be using the
same naming space.  In fact, much of AT&T still seems unaware that
the outside world exists.

You should have seen the fun when South Plainfield (site code HP)
got a machine on Usenet, called hpuxa!  Hewlett Packard was not
impressed.  Fortunately, they have renamed the site spuxa.

	Mark Horton

psc@lzwi.UUCP (Paul S. R. Chisholm) (04/28/85)

< Smokey the Bar says, "Stamp out software pirates" [squish!] >

> Yes, there is.  The first two letters are the AT&T site name, e.g.
> IH is Indian Hill, MH is Murray Hill, CB is Columbus, etc.  (How they
> come up with these codes I'll never know: LZ is Lincroft, AK is
> Atlanta, IX is Indian Hill South, FJ is Freehold, etc.)

Here in Lincroft, we always assumed it stood for "Lincroft Zoo."

> What seems to have happened is that AH (ATT IS, Holmdel)
> has finally had their new building in Morristown completed, and
> in the move, their machines were renamed from ah* to mt*.  Roughly.

Roughly.  The AH (originally stood for "American Bell, Holmdel") machines
are moving to Middletown.  (Note that Holmdel, Lincroft, Middletown,
Freehold, West Long Branch, and Neptune are all in Monmouth County,
New Jersey, about twenty or thirty minutes away from each other in good
traffic, which is considered "close" in this once rural area.)
--
	-Paul S. R. Chisholm
	...!{pegasus,vax135}!lzwi!psc   The above opinions are my own,

chuqui@nsc.UUCP (Chuq Von Rospach) (04/29/85)

In article <1089@cbosgd.UUCP> mark@cbosgd.UUCP (Mark Horton) writes:

>The first two letters are the AT&T site name, e.g.
>IH is Indian Hill, MH is Murray Hill, CB is Columbus, etc.  (How they
>come up with these codes I'll never know: LZ is Lincroft, AK is
>Atlanta, IX is Indian Hill South, FJ is Freehold, etc.)

Aren't those two letter codes the codes used for the associated MS macros?
--
:From the closet of anxieties of:                 Chuq Von Rospach
{cbosgd,fortune,hplabs,ihnp4,seismo}!nsc!chuqui   nsc!chuqui@decwrl.ARPA

Remember me, for that which I must do shall ring out upon the heavens and
my name shall be renounced by the tongues of all mankind! - J. Iscariot

jis1@mtgzz.UUCP (j.mukerji) (05/07/85)

> What seems to have happened is that AH (ATT IS, Holmdel)
> has finally had their new building in Morristown completed, and
> in the move, their machines were renamed from ah* to mt*.  Roughly.

That is more or less correct, except that the new bulding is MiddleTown not
Morristown. Also many LZ (Lincroft ATT IS) machines have changed to mt*.

BTW Have the new mt* names created any name clashes like hpuxa in South
Plainfield did?

Jishnu Mukerji