[net.news.sa] NY distribution created; be on the lookout

roy@phri.UUCP (Roy Smith) (08/12/85)

	Amazing as it may seem, New York state has not, up until now, had
its own distribution (New Jersey has, but from all the "dinette for sale"
postings to net.general, you wouldn't have known, would you?).  Anyway,
after arranging with a bunch of sites in the state to add "ny" to their
distribution lists, I sent out a "newgroup ny.general" message today,
posted to newsgroup "control", with distribution "ny", as well as posting
an introductory message to ny.general.

	If you see either of those messages and are not in New York, please
get in touch with me so I can track down what went wrong.  No Dwight, I
don't care that your cpu is actually accross the river in a swamp.
--
Roy Smith <allegra!phri!roy>
455 First Avenue, New York, NY 10016

am@vilya.UUCP (MALEK) (08/20/85)

> 	Amazing as it may seem, New York state has not, up until now, had
> its own distribution (New Jersey has, but from all the "dinette for sale"
...................etc.....
	There are many reasons for a net.ny, however most of them would
more appropriately refer to net.ny-metropolitan-area. Those of us in
Northeastern NJ, especially those of us who commute westwards across the
great river Hudson, have more in common with those in NYC than those in
Syracuse and Buffalo (no offense), and many of those who login in NYC
actually live in NJ.
	I propose that a 	NET.METAREA
	be created which would include a fifty or sixty miles of the City.
We have a Port Authority and a Met. Transit Authority, let's not fight
about the statue of liberty on the net.
	Remember, the New York Giants play in New Jersey.
--
Avi Malek @ATT Bell Labs Parsippany, NJ
	netnews administrator - VILYA

jgd@uwmcsd1.UUCP (John G Dobnick) (08/21/85)

[Here, line eater... here boy!  here boy!  Nice line eate]

In <189@vilya.UUCP>, Avi Malek @ ATT Bell Labs Parsippany, NJ writes:
 	I propose that a 	NET.METAREA
 	be created which would include a fifty or sixty miles of the City.
	[Referring to New York City.]

"The City" is what San Francisco is called by its residents.
"METAREA" could refer to *any* metropolitan area (Chicago, Los Angeles,
San Francisco, New York, etc.).   I would suggest "nyc" or some variant
with specific geographical binding.
John G Dobnick
Computing Services Division @ University of Wisconsin - Milwaukee
(...ihnp4!uwmcsd1!jgd)

fair@ucbvax.ARPA (Erik E. Fair) (08/26/85)

In article <398@uwmcsd1.UUCP> jgd@uwmcsd1.UUCP (John G Dobnick) writes:
>In <189@vilya.UUCP>, Avi Malek @ ATT Bell Labs Parsippany, NJ writes:
> 	I propose that a 	NET.METAREA
> 	be created which would include a fifty or sixty miles of the City.
>	[Referring to New York City.]
>
>"The City" is what San Francisco is called by its residents.
>"METAREA" could refer to *any* metropolitan area (Chicago, Los Angeles,
>San Francisco, New York, etc.).   I would suggest "nyc" or some variant
>with specific geographical binding.

Indeed it is what we call San Francisco, but our regional newsgroups
has always been called `ba.*' (as opposed to net.*)  for Bay Area. In
fact, it existed before there were netnews sites in San Francisco,
proper...

	Erik E. Fair	ucbvax!fair	fair@ucbarpa.BERKELEY.EDU