[net.news.sa] I hate very long articles.

stephen@dcl-cs.UUCP (Stephen J. Muir) (09/02/85)

I think there should be some way to limit the size of news articles, especially
those in net.sources*.  These newsgroups have had *very* large articles even
though they come in several parts.  I would rather see many small parts to a
set of articles than a few very big parts.
--
UUCP:	...!seismo!mcvax!ukc!dcl-cs!stephen
DARPA:	stephen%lancs.comp@ucl-cs	| Post: University of Lancaster,

keld@diku.UUCP (Keld J|rn Simonsen) (09/03/85)

I do not hate long articles, especially not in net.sources.
In rn and the like (I use nn - developed by diku!storm)
you get one line of info per article and this is what I *have* to
read - this is what takes time. More small articles mean
more time spent, unless you make a special 'parts' collection
in the headlines.
People should of cause express themself as precisely and short as possible.

mojo@kepler.UUCP (Morris Jones) (09/03/85)

stephen@dcl-cs.UUCP (Stephen J. Muir) writes:
>I think there should be some way to limit the size of news articles, especially
>those in net.sources*.  These newsgroups have had *very* large articles even
>though they come in several parts.  I would rather see many small parts to a
>set of articles than a few very big parts.

I disagree.  The more pieces there are to a posting, the more likely the chance
of losing one or more along the path, therefore the more requests for
repostings, therefore extra unnecessary overhead on the net.

I didn't see you give any reasons for disliking the large articles.

--
Mojo
... Morris Jones, MicroPro Product Development

chuqui@nsc.UUCP (Chuq Von Rospach) (09/04/85)

[note: future followups will show up only in net.news.adm...]

In article <425@dcl-cs.UUCP> stephen@dcl-cs.UUCP (Stephen J. Muir) writes:
>I think there should be some way to limit the size of news articles, especially
>those in net.sources*.  These newsgroups have had *very* large articles even
>though they come in several parts.  I would rather see many small parts to a
>set of articles than a few very big parts.

I looked at this a couple of months ago. Technically, it isn't possible
unless the restrictions are installed at the creation of the network (many
of the new network systems I've seen published have this restriction) but
there is no way to install it after the fact unless you have control over
the entire network, which we don't. If you only install it in some
locations, you end up creating a LOT of pain and anguish, and likely a
number of new and interesting black holes (where messages go away silently,
never to be seen again) as well.

Philosophically, I have nothing against long articles that are put together
well. Especially in net.sources, since sources tend to be rather long
(especially if they are non-trivial and/or well documented, both of which
the stuff in net.sources ought to be...). In fact, there has been a
suggestion (semi-seriously) to reject articles that are shorter than a
certain length in an attempt to get rid of some of the garbage that is
there but belongs in other groups. It, unfortunately, seems to have the
same technological problems...

I'd rather see us looking for answers to serious problems: misplaced
articles, articles with excessive quoting, mega-multi silly responses to
the same article, some way to keep topics from resurrecting every few
months (net.unix-wizards is AGAIN discussing kernel based pagers, and
net.tv is probably due for the semi-annual "What city is Hill Street Blues
really" about fiasco...) and ways to deal with the general excessive volume
and reader overload going on with the net. It is easy to fix problems that
don't solve anything, its not so easy to even define the difficult
problems...

Personally, I have more or less decided that its time to quick mucking with
USENET and use the examples of what doesn't work here to build something
that will. In my copious free time... *sigh*

chuq
[editorial reminder: some sites DO have size restrictions on uucp traffic,
 some on mail, some on mail and news. some limit things to 100K, some to
 64K, and I've run into sites that get upset at 50K. If you're putting
 together a large distribution or set of sources to be distributed or
 mailed somewhere, it is safest to put it in batches of 40K or less]
--
Chuq Von Rospach nsc!chuqui@decwrl.ARPA {decwrl,hplabs,ihnp4}!nsc!chuqui

Son, you're mixing ponderables again

bill@persci.UUCP (09/06/85)

In article <1160@diku.UUCP> keld@diku.UUCP (Keld J|rn Simonsen) writes:
>I do not hate long articles, especially not in net.sources.
>In rn and the like [...]
>you get one line of info per article and this is what I *have* to
>read - this is what takes time. [...]

Net.sources can have long articles. As for the rest, I often read them
over a 300 baud line, excluding articles > 1 page. Long textual articles
can be agonizing!
--
William Swan  {ihnp4,decvax,allegra,...}!uw-beaver!tikal!persci!bill

sob@neuro1.UUCP (Stan Barber) (09/09/85)

Large articles in net.sources is better than having MORE of the
"Please send me part X of so-and-so.c that was in net.sources as
we seemed to have missed receiving that part" messages, don't you
think?

--
Stan		uucp:{ihnp4!shell,rice}!neuro1!sob     Opinions expressed
Olan		ARPA:sob@rice.arpa		       here are ONLY mine &