[net.news.sa] Pathology of "Cannot install article as ..." ?

fred@mot.UUCP (Fred Christiansen) (11/14/85)

rather regularly our /usr/lib/news/errlog has a handful of error msgs

	...	inews: Cannot install article as ...

what causes this?  have i improperly set up something in my news?
or is this just part of news life?  thx.
--
<< Generic disclaimer >>
Fred Christiansen ("Canajun, eh?") @ Motorola Microsystems, Tempe, AZ

warren@pluto.UUCP (Warren Burstein) (11/15/85)

In article <451@mot.UUCP>, fred@mot.UUCP (Fred Christiansen) writes:
> rather regularly our /usr/lib/news/errlog has a handful of error msgs
>
> 	...	inews: Cannot install article as ...
>
> what causes this?  have i improperly set up something in my news?

Well when I have part of the news tree not writable by "news" I
get this in /usr/lib/news/log:

Nov 12 23:29	phri.UUCP	received <3451@ut-sally.UUCP> ng mod.std.unix subj 'Re: Is SIGILL omitted from the list of "hardware" signals for good reason?'
Nov 12 23:29	phri.UUCP	from std-unix@ut-sally.UUCP (Moderator, John Quarterman) relay version B 2.10.2 9/18/84; site phri.UUCP
Nov 12 23:29	phri.UUCP	Cannot install article as /usr/spool/news/mod/std/unix/3: Permission denied
Nov 12 23:29	phri.UUCP	Link into /usr/spool/news/mod/std/unix/3 failed (Permission denied); check dir permissions.

The solution is to change the ownership of the dir.  I don't
get an errlog file, I think it comes if you run inews from a shell
script instead of letting incoming news batches run it thru uux.
But you should probably find the same thing I had, or other
explanitory messages in the log file.

Did the messages wind up in the "junk" group?  That's what happens
here.