[net.news.sa] SAVE 41% ON NEWS/MAIL TRANSFER COSTS !

john@sol1.UUCP (john) (12/17/85)

Over the years, USENET has grown to be sizable network.
So large, in fact, that the substantial cost of transferring
news has become a tremendous financial burden to many.

As of late, there is daily USENET conversation with regard to
backbone sites cutting groups, increasing moderation, and
otherwise desperately seeking ways to lower phone bills.

THE SOLUTION has an answer.
We are offering to feed a number of sites news and transfer mail
via the extensive and proven Tymnet network at a substantial savings.
Subscriber sites simply dial a local Tymnet access number and connect
via uucp to our machine.

Your site is billed monthly only for actual connect time
on THE SOLUTION.

It is important to point out that we are not charging for
news, but are providing a low-cost 'carrier' alternative to your
current Bell company, etc.

Xfernews protocol is used to assure that articles sent are received.

Currently, there are time-slots open to feed approximately 16 sites
with provision to more than double present capacity within 2-3 months.
SOLUTION feeds are available on a first-come, first-serve basis.

Interested parties may obtain a SOLUTION contract and credit
application by sending your email request to {ihnp4,akgua}!sol1!john.

Participating sites, on approval of credit, will be billed monthly
at the following rates:

TYMNET CITY CLASS	RATE
	A		$5.54/hr
	B		$6.29/hr
	C		$7.79/hr (note: there are very few class C cities)

THE FOLLOWING HAS BEEN COMPILED SO THAT YOU MAY GET A BETTER IDEA OF THE
           SAVINGS YOU CAN EXPECT WITH A SOLUTION FEED.
Based on the 11/22/85 traffic through seismo report:

2 week traffic = 14.112388 MBytes
	         X 2
		 ---------------
   1 month =     28.224776 MBytes

--------------------------------
OVER NORMAL LONG DISTANCE LINES:
--------------------------------

Transfer rate ~= 110 cps with 20% dead time. (no chars being transferred)

Actual phone line time to transfer 28.224776 MB ~= 89.09 hrs.

YOUR COST ~= $1,151.04 (Based on ave. hourly nite-time charges of $12.92)

------------
OVER TYMNET:
------------

Transfer rate ~= 80 cps with 20% dead time.

Actual tymnet line time to transfer 28.224776 MB ~= 122.50 hrs.

|    TYMNET    |    $$    |    $$     |  MONTHLY   |
|  CITY CLASS  | PER HOUR |  MONTHLY  |  SAVINGS   |
|  OR CARRIER  |          |           | (percent)  |
|     BELL     |  $12.92  | $1,151.04 |    0%      |
|      A       |  $ 5.54  | $  678.65 |    41%     |
|      B       |  $ 6.29  | $  770.53 |    33%     |
|      C       |  $ 7.79  | $  954.28 |    17%     |

These figures reflect NO mail transfer, so if you do
a lot of mail transfer you can expect an even greater
savings.

We are constantly working on increasing the throughput of
Solution feeds so that you may appreciate greater savings.
We will also have 2400 baud feeds available from a number of
Class A cities soon.

Regards,
John Korsmeyer @ THE SOLUTION

Korsmeyer Electronic Design, Inc.
5701 Prescott Ave.
Lincoln, NE 68506
{ihnp4,akgua}!sol1!john

glenn@sdcrdcf.UUCP (Glenn C. Scott) (12/19/85)

  Are you sure what you're advertising will work ?

  SDC Santa Monica is also available through TYMNET.  A couple of years ago we
tried to get TYMNET to pass UUCP but we had no luck.  We had our DataComm
people try many things but no success.  A few weeks ago I talked to Rick Adams
(rick@seismo) about their TYMNET experiences and they clearly have had much
better results than we have.  So it appears that it works for some but not for
all.  Are you sure UUCP work over TYMNET for you ?

  I would love to hear from anybody who could lend any tips on how to get TYMNET
to pass UUCP.  Any TYMNET wizards out there ??  Please drop a line...
From: glenn@sdcrdcf.UUCP (Glenn C. Scott)
Newsgroups: net.news.adm,net.news.sa
Subject: Re: SAVE 41% ON NEWS/MAIL TRANSFER COSTS !
Date: 19 Dec 85 16:51:56 GMT

  Are you sure what you're advertising will work ?

  SDC Santa Monica is also available through TYMNET.  A couple of years ago we
tried to get TYMNET to pass UUCP but we had no luck.  We had our DataComm
people try many things but no success.  A few weeks ago I talked to Rick Adams
(rick@seismo) about their TYMNET experiences and they clearly have had much
better results than we have.  So it appears that it works for some but not for
all.  Are you sure UUCP work over TYMNET for you ?

  I would love to hear from anybody who could lend any tips on how to get TYMNET
to pass UUCP.  Any TYMNET wizards out there ??  Please drop a line...

dik@zuring.UUCP (Dik T. Winter) (12/21/85)

bullshit
UUCP: {seismo,decvax,philabs,okstate,garfield}!mcvax!dik

feldman@tymix.UUCP (Steve Feldman) (12/24/85)

It is possible to make UUCP work through Tymnet.  Most of our news and
mail are delivered that way!  It requires configuring the Tymnet host
interface to allow virtual circuits to be put into "transparent mode",
which provides an 8-bit data path without XON-XOFF flow control.

If you want more information, send me mail at tymix!feldman.  (We use an
asynchronous host interface, so I don't think I could help too much with X.25).

Note: I'm not affiliated in any way with THE SOLUTION, and we do not have
a UUCP or news link with them.

	Steve Feldman
	Tymnet McDonnell Douglas Network Systems Co.  (our name-of-the-week)
	Network Technology Development
	{oliveb,idi,ios,calma,plx}!tymix!feldman