[net.news.sa] AT&T Rate Increase will affect your phone bill

gnu@hoptoad.uucp (John Gilmore) (03/01/86)

Hidden in the local newspaper I found an AT&T ad where they state
that they have filed to increase rates on long distance service.
Their proposal is to change the night/weekend discount from 60% to 55%.

The effect on us in Usenet-land is to raise the night rates by 12.5%.
Since most news is transferred at night, this raises all our (nonlocal)
phone bills by that amount.  My phone bill for data runs about $200/mo,
which means the new one would be $25 more (assuming all my calls
were at night rate, which they aren't).

I'd suggest writing or telegramming the FCC to request that they
disapprove the change.

It looks to me that with the ridiculous amount of "9 to 5" business
traffic, there's no way that the nighttime traffic can be loading
the network even to 50% of capacity (except special holiday seasons).
If this is true, it costs AT&T little or nothing to provide the
night service, since they have to be wired to provide day service
at a much higher activity level over the same wires.  Then why should
the FCC allow the price rise?
--
John Gilmore  {sun,ptsfa,lll-crg,ihnp4}!hoptoad!gnu   jgilmore@lll-crg.arpa

lauren@vortex.UUCP (Lauren Weinstein) (03/01/86)

If you want to accomplish something with your phone bill, I suggest that
instead of complaining about the 5% changes in the discount rate, you
instead ask the FCC to let AT&T *CUT* their long distance rates in the
way they've proposed many times in the past.  The Commission still refuses
to let AT&T compete on an equal basis, and has refused to let them
implement various long distance rate cuts that the company has proposed.

Also, I suggest you look into the various "bulk buy" packages that exist
for both consumers and businesses for off-peak calling from AT&T.
These can be very attractive and are much more than 5% discounts.

In general, given the way the Commission has been refusing to let the
company cut rates in general, AT&T has instead been implementing more
bulk buy plans that can let even moderate long distance users get
substantial discounts for off-peak use.  Check them out.

--Lauren--

grr@cbm.UUCP (George Robbins) (03/04/86)

> Also, I suggest you look into the various "bulk buy" packages that exist
> for both consumers and businesses for off-peak calling from AT&T.
> These can be very attractive and are much more than 5% discounts.
> --Lauren--

Gee Lauren, please don't tease us!  Can you post a summary of what services
are available that might help out a typical usenet site cut costs.

Also, where do one go to get information and sign up for such services.
I assume there's some kind of 800-PAY-AT*T number?
--
George Robbins - now working with,	uucp: {ihnp4|seismo|caip}!cbm!grr
but no way officially representing	arpa: cbm!grr@seismo.css.GOV

allyn@sdcsvax.UUCP (Allyn Fratkin) (03/05/86)

In article <885@vortex.UUCP>, lauren@vortex.UUCP (Lauren Weinstein) writes:
> If you want to accomplish something with your phone bill, I suggest that
> instead of complaining about the 5% changes in the discount rate, you
> instead ask the FCC to let AT&T *CUT* their long distance rates in the
> way they've proposed many times in the past.

Come on, Lauren.  I have immense respect for you and your opinions and
knowledge about communication related subjects.  But you just *must*
explain this one to me.

When I received the notice of proposed rate increase in the mail, I was
furious.  For quite some time now, I have remained loyal to AT&T, even
though the quality of the ALDC's is getting better and better.  I think
that AT&T got screwed almost as badly as the consumer did in the breakup.
I have been waiting patiently for the FCC to allow AT&T to lower their
rates to become more competitive.

Now, AT&T wants to raise their rates?  They're already the most expensive
carrier and got into the business without the immense initial investment
that most of the other companies had.

Lauren, please explain this rate increase.  You suggest that I ask
the FCC to allow AT&T to lower their rates?  Why is AT&T asking for a
rate increase?  Out of spite for the FCC?  "The FCC won't allow us to lower
our rates, so let's raise them, instead."  I just don't understand.

Sorry for the flame, I'm really just re-directing some anger.
I really would like a sensible explanation.
--
 From the virtual mind of Allyn Fratkin            allyn@sdcsvax.ucsd.edu    or
                          UCSD EMU/Pascal Project  {ucbvax, decvax, ihnp4}

 "Generally you don't see that kind of behavior in a major appliance."