Date: Thu, 27 Mar 86 00:06:02 mst
From: hplabs!hao!kremlin!andropov (Yuri's Ghost)
Subject: Re: looking for CSUC *TALK* users
Apparently-To: moskvax!mcvax!seismo!hao!hplabs!qantel!gilbbs!mc68020

  [body of message removed]

   Can anyone assist me in determining the origin of this letter?

   Thanks in advance.

Sincerely,
Yuri

stephen@dcl-cs.UUCP (04/02/86)

In article <134@gilbbs.UUCP> root@gilbbs.UUCP writes:
>Is there any way that we might be able to track such a posting?
>
>   The offensive posting header follows:

>	id AA03099; Wed, 26 Mar 86 23:15:03 ust

Our mailer puts "Received" stamps on according to where the mail actually came
from.  Thus, this mail message would've become:

	id AA03099; Wed, 26 Mar 86 23:15:03 ust

All you would then have to do is see where the discrepancy is.  E.g., if part
of the message was instead:

	id AA08123; Wed, 26 Mar 86 23:19:33 ust

you would be able to find it.  It is my firm belief that all mailers should do
this for this reason (this conforms to RFC822).
--
UUCP:	...!seismo!mcvax!ukc!dcl-cs!stephen
DARPA:	stephen%comp.lancs.ac.uk@ucl-cs	| Post: University of Lancaster,

lauren@vortex.UUCP (Lauren Weinstein) (04/05/86)

Received lines are certainly useful, but note that so long as there are
sites that use a single publicly known login and phone number for dialup
access, random sites can call up and claim to be other sites for the
purpose of submitting bogus mail.  As always, I urge sites NOT to
establish general-use logins in that manner, and instead to establish
separate login accounts for each site dialing up whenever possible.

--Lauren--

> Our mailer puts "Received" stamps on according to where the mail actually
> came from. ... All you would then have to do is see where the discrepancy
> is... It is my firm belief that all mailers should do this for this reason
> (this conforms to RFC822).

Unfortunately, we are talking about news, not mailers.  And news article
headers are already bloated.  If your site gets a full feed, a substantial
fraction of the disk space needed to store news is storing largely-redundant
headers.  Similarly, sites which get news via Long Distance are paying a
noticeable fraction of their phone bills for headers.  Considering the
convoluted paths that news articles sometimes take, adding a "Received"
header for every hop would greatly worsen these problems.  Even for mail,
those headers are making much money for phone companies; for news it's just
impractical.
--
				Henry Spencer @ U of Toronto Zoology

north@ulysses.UUCP (Steve North) (04/07/86)

You're very confident that headers can't be forged?  Why, that seems
quite reasonable!

fair@styx.UUCP (Erik E. Fair) (04/09/86)

The bottom line is: there is no user authentication in either of
netnews or electronic mail, as we know them.

(but don't forget: neither is there any authentication in the world
Postal System...)

	Yow! Are we paranoid yet?

	Erik E. Fair	styx!fair	fair@lll-tis-b.arpa

dormitzer@h-sc1.UUCP (paul dormitzer) (04/09/86)

Before going into a long discussion about the practicality of tracking news
articles, one should ask "Do we really care?".  It seems to me that if someone
wants to go to the trouble of forging news paths, they'll probably find a way
to do it no matter how paranoid we are, and furthermore it hurts no-one if
they do.  (Unless, of course, they claim to be another member of the network
community, effectively slandering the person they claim to be.)  Last year
there was a note from ``yuri!kremvax!kgbvax!...'' on net.jokes and people
spent the next month screaming about how they thought security on the net
was broken.  By virtue of the fact that this is in effect a public discussion
forum (netnews, that is), the concept of security is basically nil, since
any site that can find a host to pass news to it gets full access.
Furthermore, on many university sites computer accounts are available to all
members of the university, so if "they" want to "infiltrate" our network,
"they" have probably already done so, and the only way to stop "unwanted access"
is to completely shut down the news system.  If security is not an issue, then
the only worry is that of who sent which article.  In a forum such as we have,
the important point is to exchange information and ideas, not to find out
who said what.  (Unless, of course, you just want to flame people... which
is not only childish but also detracts from the exchange of ideas.)
--
The above ideas do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Harvard University,
its faculty or staff, or the Harvard University Science Center.

	Paul Dormitzer
	...!harvard!h-sc1!dormitzer

jso@edison.UUCP (John Owens) (04/11/86)

> > Our mailer puts "Received" stamps on according to where the mail actually
> > came from. ... All you would then have to do is see where the discrepancy
> > is... It is my firm belief that all mailers should do this for this reason
> > (this conforms to RFC822).
>
> Unfortunately, we are talking about news, not mailers.
> 				Henry Spencer @ U of Toronto Zoology

Unfortunately, we are talking about mail, not news.  The original
forged mail had plenty of Received headers; the referenced text above
refers to "Received: from xxx by yyy" being superior to just

--
	John Owens @ General Electric Company	(+1 804 978 5726)
	edison!jso%virginia@CSNet-Relay.ARPA		[old arpa]