[net.news.sa] -- rmgroup net reported

I just got a report that some (expletive deleted) person posted a rmgroup net
message to the net last nite.  I don't know what kind of distribution that
the message will have gotten, but if your news is not configured to require
manual deletion of groups, WATCH OUT!  This could dismantle you entired news
database.

No, it wasn't me, or anyone I know, and this warning may be too late to do any
good, but better to try than not...
--
George Robbins - now working with,	uucp: {ihnp4|seismo|caip}!cbmvax!grr

cmoore@amdimage.UUCP (05/01/86)

In article <169@cbmvax.cbmvax.cbm.UUCP> grr@cbmvax.cbm.UUCP (George Robbins) writes:
>I just got a report that some (expletive deleted) person posted a rmgroup net
>message to the net last nite.  ...

I haven't seen the rmgroup come here yet, but I'd like to know who
sent the newgroup for net about a week ago.  That's probably what
started it, and it could be disastrous for someone who didn't know
what they were doing and rmgrouped it, even if it was just a local
rmgroup.

Of course it takes 5 minutes to get into vi.  There's another
 user on, and he's compiling!

 Chris Moore (408) 749-4692
 UUCP: {ucbvax,decwrl,ihnp4,allegra}!amdcad!amdimage!cmoore

jon@msunix.UUCP (05/02/86)

I got it and I'm way the heck out in the boonies.  It was from
bandrew@lll.ARPA.  I think that is the same as bandy@lll.ARPA.
I'm running 2.10.3 alpha and it's configured to just send me
mail when an rmgroup control message comes in.  The reason for
it I believe was for some weenie at Rochester sending a
newgroup net control message out, which did get appended to my
active file.

Actually, I see a lot of newgroup control messages in net.control.
I usually only get mail if there's one there that doesn't already exist.
When I installed news I don't think I sent out any control messages,
I think all it did was create the directories and the active file.
Is this because older versions of news do an inews command to
create a new newsgroup?  I would appreciate any explanation anyone
could give me, the control messages have been puzzling me for
some time.  I remember once I got hit with about 22 newgroup
control messages from someone at Wang.  Why did I get mail that
time and not everytime a newgroup comes along?

"If we did it like everyone else,	  Jonathan Hue
what would distinguish us from		  Via Video Inc.
every other company in Silicon Valley?"	  sun!sunncal\
						      >!leadsv!msunix!jon
"A profit?"				amdcad!cae780/

davids@iscuva.UUCP (David Schmidt) (05/06/86)

In article <226@msunix.UUCP> jon@msunix.UUCP (Jonathan Hue) writes:
>[...]
>Actually, I see a lot of newgroup control messages in net.control.
>I usually only get mail if there's one there that doesn't already exist.
>When I installed news I don't think I sent out any control messages,
>I think all it did was create the directories and the active file.
>Is this because older versions of news do an inews command to
>create a new newsgroup?  I would appreciate any explanation anyone
>could give me, the control messages have been puzzling me for
>some time.  I remember once I got hit with about 22 newgroup
>control messages from someone at Wang.  Why did I get mail that
>time and not everytime a newgroup comes along?

  I was almost one of the sites putting out a bunch of newgroup messages!
Of course the active file with the news distribution was out of date and
the install file was not very specific on how to get the active file
current.  I talked to my news feed and he uucp'd me a copy of his current
active file but of course the numbers were not correct.  I started digging
around and found the checknews script.  If you feed that script a new
copy of the active file (checknews <newactive) it will update your active
file by creating the new groups (it also gives you the rmgroup command
for you to type in to remove the excess groups).
  The checknews script issues the following command to create the new
groups:

/usr/lib/news/inews -n control -t "cmsg newgroup GROUPNAME" </dev/null
(note the ""'s, they are necessary)

  This command does not send out any messages to the net but does properly
update the active file and create the spool directories.  The only command
that the install file mentions is "inews -C newgroup" which DOES send out
to the net in addition to creating the new group at the local site.

  I hope this helps.

! II      CCCCCC !  David Schmidt
! II  SSSSCC     !  ISC Systems Corp.
! II      CC     !  Spokane, WA
! IISSSS  CC     !  UUCP: ihnp4!tektronix!reed!iscuva!davids
! II      CCCCCC !  (509)927-5479