[net.news.sa] Need info on GMT/DST issues

dbr@foxvax5.UUCP (D.B. Robinson ) (06/03/86)

Sorry to bother.  Some time ago there was a discussion in one of these
newsgroups about the time on a network, its format and its
ramifications.  Well, this issue is now rearing its ugly head at the
company I work for.  Some people here want to REMOVE both the idea of
GMT and DST from the UNIX we sell altogether.  Remarkably enough this
product is being designed for a NETWORK environment with a version of a
remote file system!

Could those of you who know which software packages would break when
this is done please Email me a quick note of what and why?

You too could end up on one of our systems - help stamp out local time
only systems!!!

Many thanks in advance.  If sufficient demand warrants, I will post a
summary.

Douglas Robinson	jobs don't kill programmers, programmers kill jobs
The Foxboro Company
MS 04-3A		cybvax0!foxvax5!dbr
38 Neponset Avenue
Foxboro, MA 02035	617/543-8750

andre@nrcvax.UUCP (06/06/86)

In article <290@foxvax5.UUCP> dbr@foxvax5.UUCP (D.B. Robinson (Douglas)) writes:
>Sorry to bother.  Some time ago there was a discussion in one of these
>newsgroups about the time on a network, its format and its
>ramifications.  Well, this issue is now rearing its ugly head at the
>company I work for.  Some people here want to REMOVE both the idea of
>GMT and DST from the UNIX we sell altogether.  Remarkably enough this

The DARPA protocol IP needs to generate timestamps which contain the time
in milliseconds since midnight Universal Time (GMT).  If you plan on
having the DARPA protocols supported, you better have a way to supply
these values when needed.

                                ihnp4-\
                sdcsvax-\              \
Andre' Hut              sdcrdcf!psivax!nrcvax!andre
                hplabs--/              /
                         ucbvax!calma-/

Network Research Corporation
923 Executive Park Dr. Suite C