[net.news.sa] Beware of blindly installing pathalias output

dave@lsuc.UUCP (06/06/86)

Pathalias output has always been only as good as the information
which is supplied through mod.map, but this month we're seeing
something new (to me, anyway). Due presumably to reliable X.25
links, the claimed preferred path from here to seismo is

utcs!utai!ubc-vision!munnari!prlb2!enea!seismo

that is,
  Toronto -> Vancouver -> Australia -> Belgium -> Sweden -> Arlington, VA

Now, something tells me that no matter how good the X.25 links are,
that isn't really the route I want to use.

Perhaps those in charge of the systems in question should reconsider
statements that given links are DEMAND or whatever. And in the meantime,
sysadmins may wish to review their pathalis output, if it's going
to be used by a program such as uupath.

Dave Sherman
The Law Society of Upper Canada
Toronto
--
{ ihnp4!utzoo  pesnta  utcs  hcr  decvax!utcsri  } !lsuc!dave

kre@munnari.OZ (Robert Elz) (06/08/86)

In article <1239@lsuc.UUCP>, dave@lsuc.UUCP (David Sherman) writes:
> Due presumably to reliable X.25 links, the claimed preferred path
> from here to seismo is
>
> utcs!utai!ubc-vision!munnari!prlb2!enea!seismo
>
> that is,
>   Toronto -> Vancouver -> Australia -> Belgium -> Sweden -> Arlington, VA

There's a bug in the distributed maps for Australia.  (In fact,
there are many bugs).  The one that matters is that the link
from munnari to prlb2 is marked as HOURLY or something, when it
should be marked DEAD.

Fix this, and those absurd global loops should go away.

However, it might be worth pointing out, that apart from cost,
and that it won't work anyway, this is likely to actually be
a very good path.  It might have even been the 'best' way...
(Well not quite, munnari!seismo would be better.)

The reason that it won't work is that munnari refuses to forward
incoming uucp mail to an outgoing uucp link.  We will forward
from uucp to acsnet, and acsnet to uucp, and we pass through
acsnet traffic (internal Australian) but you cannot send something
to prlb2 from ubc-vision via munnari.

That's why all of munnari's outgoing uucp links should be listed as
DEAD in the pathalias data.

I have sent entirely new maps for Australia to uucpmap@cbosgd
I sincerely hope that they are used in this month's map postings.

Actually, I'm not yet sure that they arrived - I asked for an ack
but have heard nothing - does anyone at or beyond cbosgd know
if they arrived?

Robert Elz		munnari!kre