[net.news.sa] Looking for information on PUBLIC ACCESS USENET sites ...

henry@mit-trillian.MIT.EDU (Henry Mensch) (07/18/86)

I would like to compile a *definitive* list of Usenet sites which
provide service to the "general public."  This list will (hopefully)
be published once a month along with the other lists posted to
mod.newslists.

It does not matter if your site *charges* for access or not; I am
simply collecting this information as a service to the net and to
folks around here who want usenet access but can't get an account on
"the right machine."

SO ... if you run a public access site and would like to be included
in this listing, please mail me a message with the following
information:

The name and geographic location (city and state) of your site.

Which software does your site run (4.? bsd, SysV, etc.)?

Do you charge for general access/Usenet access/other privileges?
	If so, state the rate schedule and conditions...

How is your system accessed?  What types of dialups are available?
	Is your system on any networks (Telenet, tymnet, uninet)?
	(Be very specific here ... sometimes things aren't as
	obvious as they seem).

How do new users get userids?

Does your site have any specialties?  Any restrictions (i.e., fascist
	bit set for news postings?)

A summary of your news and mail connections.

Once I have this information I will try to access your site as a new
user ... if I am unable to access your site by the rules you specify
then I won't list you until I have your rules down correctly.

I look forward to hearing from you all soon ...

Henry Mensch     |   Technical Writer  | MIT/Project Athena
henry@athena.mit.edu          ..!mit-eddie!mit-athena!henry

petel@tekig5.UUCP (Pete Lancashire) (07/22/86)

In article <867@mit-trillian.MIT.EDU>, henry@mit-trillian.MIT.EDU (Henry Mensch) writes:
> I would like to compile a *definitive* list of Usenet sites which
> provide service to the "general public."  This list will (hopefully)
> be published once a month along with the other lists posted to
> mod.newslists.

>  -----edited------

> Henry Mensch     |   Technical Writer  | MIT/Project Athena
> henry@athena.mit.edu          ..!mit-eddie!mit-athena!henry

PLEASE FOLLOWUP TO: net.followup

Now I even have to question the future of USENET, what do the big sites
think of public access ? I as a paying customer at Tektronix and soon at
home (not only a node but as one who will be feeding at least 4 other
sites) just can't feel at ease with the local cbbs type junk that could
end up on the net, it's bad enough now.

Pete Lancashire   ...!tektronix!tekig5!petel
Tektronix Inc.
next month...
SA at Tek   (soon to be [admin,petel]@teksce.TEK.UUCP)
SA at Home  (soon ...!tektronix!oregon![petel,admin,usenet])

chuq@sun.uucp (Chuq Von Rospach) (07/22/86)

> Now I even have to question the future of USENET, what do the big sites
> think of public access ? I as a paying customer at Tektronix and soon at
> home (not only a node but as one who will be feeding at least 4 other
> sites) just can't feel at ease with the local cbbs type junk that could
> end up on the net, it's bad enough now.

Well, if the current cbbs's are any indication, I'd welcome them.  They tend
to have active SA's and a better track record, at least in my eyes, than
most of the sites in the state of new jersey.  Worry is wonderful, but worry
about  things out of proportion isn't useful.

chuq

--
Chuq Von Rospach	chuq%plaid@sun.COM	 CompuServe: 73317,635
		{decwrl,hplabs,ihnp4,seismo}!sun!plaid!chuq

	O how they cling and wrangle, some who claim
	Of Brahamana and recluse the honoured name!
	For, quarrelling, each to his view they claim,
	Such folk see only one side of a thing.
		-- Buddha -- The Elephant and the Blind Men

henry@mit-trillian.MIT.EDU (Henry Mensch) (07/23/86)

(*** FOLLOWUPS WILL GO TO net.followup! ***)

In article <935@tekig5.UUCP> petel@tekig5.UUCP (Pete Lancashire) writes:
>Now I even have to question the future of USENET, what do the big sites
>think of public access ? I as a paying customer at Tektronix and soon at
>home (not only a node but as one who will be feeding at least 4 other
>sites) just can't feel at ease with the local cbbs type junk that could
>end up on the net, it's bad enough now.

Who are you to tell others that they can only permit certain people to
use their hardware and software?  In my opinion, there are more bimbos
on the net now from *non* public sites than I've ever noticed from
public access sites.

Many of these public access sites *charge* for access to their site as
a timesharing system; Usenet simply happens to be a perquisite.  Many
of these users who *pay* for their access *don't* post because they
feel the cost *directly*!  Do *you* pay Tektronix for your access on
tekig5, Pete?

These sites have existed for *years* with no problems.  They advertise
once in net.newsite, and that's it!

I want to understand how you think the net will get any worse than
what it is now?  Presuming that I do compile the list, and the
moderators of mod.newslists think that it's an appropriate thing to
have around, who's going to see the list?  PEOPLE ALREADY ON THE NET!
This list will be useful to those who (a) are leaving their home site
and want a place to get mail and news, or (b) prefer to keep their
private postings and mail separate from their work-related ones.  At
least one site that I worked at required this type of distinction
between postings *as a matter of official policy*.

If this message sounds heated, it's only because it is.  Once public
access site I know of feeds mail and news to half of Illinois!  I don't
see the problems ...

Mail flamage to me directly; don't bother these poor folk with it.
Follow-ups will get sent to net.followup.

randy@chinet.UUCP (randy) (07/23/86)

In article <935@tekig5.UUCP> petel@tekig5.UUCP (Pete Lancashire) writes:

>Now I even have to question the future of USENET, what do the big sites
>think of public access ? I as a paying customer at Tektronix and soon at
>home (not only a node but as one who will be feeding at least 4 other
>sites) just can't feel at ease with the local cbbs type junk that could
>end up on the net, it's bad enough now.
>
>Pete Lancashire   ...!tektronix!tekig5!petel

	Give me a break!  The quality of stuff coming out of my
"Public Access U*IX" system is magnitudes better than the comment
you just made..

	Not that it makes a difference, but this "bbs" feeds a full news
feed to 5 large sites, including Ill Bell.

--
.. that's the biz, sweetheart...
Randy Suess

taylor@hplabsc.UUCP (Dave Taylor) (07/23/86)

Pete Lancashire  writes:

>Now I even have to question the future of USENET, what do the big sites
>think of public access ? I as a paying customer at Tektronix and soon at
>home (not only a node but as one who will be feeding at least 4 other
>sites) just can't feel at ease with the local cbbs type junk that could
>end up on the net, it's bad enough now.

Sorry Pete, but I don't think you understand what is meant by a public
access site...

	First off, there is no 'law' that people who turn out to be drips
	can't be tossed off.  In fact, the peer pressure of the rest of the
	community (i.e. us) should be enough to force people to exhibit at
	least SOME socially acceptable behaviours.  IT seems oddly common
	that people associate public access with complete anarchy.  It's
	not.

	Secondly, in my experience, public access systems are VERY GOOD for
	the net - it gives us a wider cross-section of the population (right
	now we only see postings from people who LIKE computers, who WORK
	with computers, who SPEND MONEY on computers, etc etc).  The more
	different and diverse views we can have on the system, even at the
	price of increased traffic, the better!

	Thirdly, I've also found that the public access machines have far
	more interesting internal conferences than the usenet - for example,
	on the Well there is a conference on Computer Books, and among the
	active participants are three top-selling authors, a columnist,
	a couple of regular writers for various 'rags, and a publisher.
	The quality of the discussion is amazing.  Especially when compare
	to such dreck as 'net.legal'.

My conclusion then, is that I STRONGLY support free systems as a way of
diversifying the network and enriching all of us.  Let's hear it for the
non computer types!!

						--- Dave Taylor

	moderator: mod.comp-soc  and  mod.conferences

steve@wolf.UUCP (Steve Harrison) (07/24/86)

> In article <867@mit-trillian.MIT.EDU>, henry@mit-trillian.MIT.EDU (Henry Mensch) writes:
> > I would like to compile a *definitive* list of Usenet sites which
> > provide service to the "general public."  This list will (hopefully)
> > be published once a month along with the other lists posted to
> SA at Tek   (soon to be [admin,petel]@teksce.TEK.UUCP)
> SA at Home  (soon ...!tektronix!oregon![petel,admin,usenet])

System wolf at ihnp4!jack!wolf is a public access system.  It is available to
anyone that fills out the online application for usage.  Phone numbers for
the San Diego area are: (619) 283-0623 (619) 283-4814 (619) 283-0412.
Guest login and password are as follows:
	login: guest
	password: pass
For this account vt100 TERM entry is assumed.

Steven Harrison
Systems'n'Software

ihnp4!jack!wolf!steve