[net.news.sa] news on an AT running SCO Xenix

chris@minnie.UUCP (Chris Grevstad) (07/31/86)

I have a site that wants to connect to us but they are running Santa Cruz
Operations Xenix on an AT, and I'm not sure what they will have to do to get
news to work.  Any comments and suggestions would be appreciated.  The same
question applies to rn.

Thanks.

--
	Chris Grevstad
	{sdcsvax,hplabs}!sdcrdcf!psivax!nrcvax!chris

"Book 'em, Drano!"

sewilco@mecc.UUCP (Scot E. Wilcoxon) (08/04/86)

In article <218@minnie.UUCP> chris@minnie.UUCP (Chris Grevstad) writes:
>I have a site that wants to connect to us but they are running Santa Cruz
>Operations Xenix on an AT, and I'm not sure what they will have to do to get
>news to work.  Any comments and suggestions would be appreciated.  The same
>question applies to rn.

I'm running SCO Xenix 3.0 on an Apple Lisa.  By telling news to use the USG
version, it compiled and ran just fine.  I'm sure it has gone on enough ATs
by now that it does work.

However, you should test rn, compress, and any other resource hogs.  The
SCO Xenix 3.0 for a Lisa with the Priam DataTower (also sold by Tecmar)
has a bug which panics the system when trying to run compress and large
awk scripts (apparently anything which uses lots of memory).  SCO won't fix it
and didn't seem to want to look at it until I pointed out that the same Priam
drive also connects to IBM PCs and they might have a few more customers with
similar code.  I'm not worried..our new system won't use Xenix.

Tech note: The error message is "panic: out of swap".  The system is
configured with 5M of swap and 1M RAM.  Problem happens with any
load, and can't be full swap because (a) system does not page, thus program
is less than 800K and there's plenty of swap space and (b) the same
binaries work fine in the same machine when a non-Priam version of the
kernel is running [10M Profile disk with <2M swap].
--

Scot E. Wilcoxon    Minn Ed Comp Corp  {quest,dicome,meccts}!mecc!sewilco
45 03 N  93 08 W (612)481-3507 {{caip!meccts},ihnp4,philabs}!mecc!sewilco