[net.news.sa] Telebit Modems

schoff@rpics.RPI.EDU (Martin Schoffstall) (09/24/86)

In article <624@pyramid.UUCP>, csg@pyramid.UUCP (Carl S. Gutekunst) writes:
> I've been getting excellent results with the 'f' protocol on the Trailblazer
> between a couple of Pyramid systems (avg 700 cps for ASCII text files), but I
> want to get some more vendors machines involved, and (especially) measure the
> data rate on a variey of telephone lines. Depending on the results, I may
> craft a new protocol for high-speed packetizing modems that doesn't depend on
> hardware flow control.

Besides voluntering "rpics" which I think meets your requirements, I'd
like to pass on some info, there are a number of other people (myself
included) who are interested in a 'p' protocol at Cornell and Gould
in terms of collaberation on drafting the requirements and implementation.
One of the behavioral characteristics of this modem is that if you
can feed it 4000bytes/packet its happy and the throughput is excellant.
That is on the UUCP front.

On the INTERNET front we are currently stymied (though I haven't put
as much time into this as I should due to my multiplexed life) with
running SLIPNET (SL) over a leased two-wire connection between
rpi and cornell, we seem to be interacting with its flow-control
and have backoffed to good old V.22bis.

> [A plug for Lauren: I've emperically established that flow control is *THE*
> issue when trying to use these modems. Intelligent SIO appears to be a must.]

Agreed!  Especially seen with SL.

> I'll help you get the Trailblazer configured for your system, and if you've
> only got one we'll poll you. No kidding. (No, I can't loan anyone a modem! :-))

I guess that you can contact me if you desire via email of phone
(518-266-8114).
--
marty schoffstall
schoff@csv.rpi.edu