[net.news.sa] unethical irresponsible posting

mc68020@gilbbs.UUCP (Thomas J Keller) (09/28/86)

   I am posting a copy of this message from net.misc to these newsgroups
as I am extremely upset about this, and wish to get feedback from SA types and
so on.  I would appreciate responses via mail, where possible.
Sorry about length.

Subject: Re: Poor People
Newsgroups: net.misc

In article <1085@kontron.UUCP>, cramer@kontron.UUCP (Clayton Cramer) writes:
>In article <1033@gilbbs.UUCP> (Thomas J. Keller) writes:
> [much irrelevent text deleted to save space - tjk]
> >    Face it.  "Libertarian" is a synonym for "cynical, self-righteous, self-
> >    satisfied, self-centered greedy bastard".
> >
> > tom keller					"She's alive, ALIVE!"
>
> Tom is still upset because I suggested that the reason he can't find a
> job he's willing to take is because he won't live Sonoma County.  Of
> course, he's collecting disability, but trying to get a job.  If he's
> disabled, he can't work.  And if he can work, he shouldn't be collecting
> disability.  Everyone now understand why Tom is so concerned that everyone
> be sympathetic to those who can work and don't want to?

   Cramer, *HOW DARE YOU*?????   I corresponded with you private and attempted
to explain my situation to you.  Had I wished to discuss the matter with the
entire net, I would have posted to the net.  You had absolutely *NO* right to
bring my personal comments to you into the public arena!

   Compounding the issue is the sleazy manner in which you take what I told
you out of context, *AND* mis-represent most of what I said as well.  I am
not going to bore the net with the details of my personal problems, as I
am sure most of these filk aren't interested.  I do wish to clear up one
issue, however:

   I am officially certified as disabled, for reasons that are none of your
business.  I collect SSI disability benefits as a result of this certification.
While people with your limited intellectual capabilities may not be able to
comprehend such an issue, the SSI regulations recognize that there is much
positive benefit for both the recipient *AND* the government in encouraging
recipients to attempt "Working in Spite of Your Disability" (quotation from
SSI brochure on program of same name).  Thus, recipients are permitted to
work for a certain length of time as an experiment, to see if they can cope
with the problems of working despite their disabilities, without losing
eligibility for disability benefits.

   I have held one job under that program.  It didn't work out (again, the
reasons are none of your business).  I want very much to try another time.
I would *LIKE* to earn my own keep, as much for pride sake as to improve my
living conditions.  Fortunately, the SSI administration is willing to encourage
my search.  Unlike insensitive, narrow minded jackass 'libertarians', many
people realize that a disabled person may not be able to re-locate for a
job (particularly an entry-level job in a strange area), and that many jobs
are simply not viable for such people.  Thus disabled persons are not placed
in a "take *ANY* job that comes along, regardless of location, nature or
pay scale" situation.

   Cramer, I specifically pointed out to you 3 reasons why I could *NOT*
relocate to the Silicon Valley area.  You conveniently ignored all 3, and
mis-represented my position as "won't" relocate.  As you are *NOT* an MD nor
a licensed psychotherapist, I do not consider you qualified to judge the
merits of my reaons.  Furthermore, you blatantly imply that I am defrauding
the government by accepting disability benefits, despite the fact that you
are completely unfamiliar with the regulations or rationale behind the
disability system, and thouroughly unaware of the nature and scope of my
particular disabilities (for the record, the things I did discuss with you
didn't cover half of the problems).

   Finally, through innuendo, you imply that I am not working because I have
chosen not to.  Much as I never thought I would say something like this,
Cramer, I sincerely hope that someone comes along to injure you along the
lines of my injuries, such that you cannot work.  I would dearly love to see
you squirm.

   I wish to point out to all readers that my comments about 'libertarians' are
gross generalizations, which I have held since long before I became disabled
and unemployed.  My comments and views regarding 'libertarians' have
absolutely *NOTHING* to do with Mr. Cramer, or anything he has said to or about
me, or about poor people in general.  I would note that his sensitivity to
my comments is, for me, indicative that I have struck a nerve, and further that
in my opinion, Mr. Cramer does in fact personify most of what I consider to
be reprehensible and unsavory about 'libertarians'.

   In closing, let me explain why I made this posting, in light of my recent
announcement of temporary retirement from net participation.  A friend
wrote me a letter and pointed out Mr. Cramer's article to me, so I read it.
After many hours of deliberation (and, frankly, a lot of cussing, fuming and
screaming...my poor housemate had to take her daughter and leave the house for
two hours), I finally determined that I had to make this posting.  My
retirement still stands, though I will monitor this newsgroup for a short
while to see what, if any, excuses Mr. Cramer can make for his irresponsible,
unethical and highly offensive behaviour.

--

Disclaimer:  Disclaimer?  DISCLAIMER!? I don't need no stinking DISCLAIMER!!!

tom keller					"She's alive, ALIVE!"
{ihnp4, dual}!ptsfa!gilbbs!mc68020

(* we may not be big, but we're small! *)