[net.news.sa] Detecting Moderated newsgroups

gnu@hoptoad.uucp (John Gilmore) (10/20/86)

In article <38@reality1.UUCP>, james@reality1.UUCP (james) writes:
> exactly how does the usenet software determine if a newsgroup is moderated?

In existing revs of Usenet software, the "mod" prefix is special.
In B 2.11 news, the active file "y"/"n" flag which allows/disallows
posting to a group, is extended with an "m" value for moderated groups.
This will allow the moderated groups to occupy the same name space
as the regular groups, reducing confusion (we hope).
--
John Gilmore  {sun,ptsfa,lll-crg,ihnp4}!hoptoad!gnu   jgilmore@lll-crg.arpa
(C) Copyright 1986 by John Gilmore.             May the Source be with you!

mc68020@gilbbs.UUCP (Thomas J Keller) (10/20/86)

In article <1205@hoptoad.uucp>, gnu@hoptoad.uucp (John Gilmore) writes:
> In existing revs of Usenet software, the "mod" prefix is special.
> In B 2.11 news, the active file "y"/"n" flag which allows/disallows
> posting to a group, is extended with an "m" value for moderated groups.
> This will allow the moderated groups to occupy the same name space
> as the regular groups, reducing confusion (we hope).

   Speaking of B news 2.11, with all due respect to the many individuals
who have put in long hours developing and testing it, *WHEN* is it going to
be distributed?

   Also, is there room for a beta test site running an odd-ball small machine
version of UNIX?  In particular, while my system is essentially SYSIII, it
has a dumb compiler (7 char identifier limits, no void type, 7 char limit in
CPP too).

--

Disclaimer:  Disclaimer?  DISCLAIMER!? I don't need no stinking DISCLAIMER!!!

tom keller					"She's alive, ALIVE!"
{ihnp4, dual}!ptsfa!gilbbs!mc68020

(* we may not be big, but we're small! *)

herbie@polaris.UUCP (Herb Chong) (10/23/86)

In article <1056@gilbbs.UUCP> mc68020@gilbbs.UUCP (Thomas J Keller) writes:
>   Speaking of B news 2.11, with all due respect to the many individuals
>who have put in long hours developing and testing it, *WHEN* is it going to
>be distributed?

i don't know when it is going to be distributed but i'm installing our copy
in a few days.

Herb Chong, IBM Research...

I'm still user-friendly -- I don't byte, I nybble....

VNET,BITNET,NETNORTH,EARN: HERBIE AT YKTVMH
UUCP:  {allegra|cbosgd|cmcl2|decvax|ihnp4|seismo}!philabs!polaris!herbie
CSNET: herbie%ibm.com@csnet-relay
ARPA:  herbie@ibm.com, herbie%yktvmh.bitnet@wiscvm.wisc.edu
DISCLAIMER:  what you just read was produced by pouring lukewarm
tea for 42 seconds onto 9 people chained to 6 Ouiji boards.