[net.misc] Reading USENET articles

kevyn@watarts.UUCP (KCT) (04/02/85)

I am sure some users of the Net must have noticed a definite difference in
tone between articles which are displayed and scrolled on a video screen
and the same articles written to a printer, and read later as a printed page.
Have YOU noticed this? Why do you think this is so?
Many USENET articles have been of excellent quality, and I have printed
some of these to re-read "normally", later on.  An "anthology" of these
makes for fascinating and thought-provoking reading.  Unfortunately, there
is ten times more GARBAGE which never goes away, and, admittedly, I have
contributed my share of heated non-information.  Would you believe that I
have a little C program called  collect  which finds all such INTERESTING
material, while discarding the other 90% and making a note of continuous
offenders? (i.e. collect | nmiscfeb)  Nice, eh?  April Fool! :-|

--
Kevyn Collins-Thompson    University of Waterloo, Waterloo, ON, CANADA !!
      ....{allegra|clyde|utzoo|ihnp4|decvax}!watmath!watarts!kevyn

chuqui@nsc.UUCP (Chuq Von Rospach) (04/06/85)

In article <8374@watarts.UUCP> kevyn@watarts.UUCP (KCT) writes:
>I am sure some users of the Net must have noticed a definite difference in
>tone between articles which are displayed and scrolled on a video screen
>and the same articles written to a printer, and read later as a printed page.
>Have YOU noticed this? Why do you think this is so?

Well, I haven't specifically studied the difference between reading news on
paper and on CRT, but I have studied the communication link versus normal
human communication quite seriously. I would expect the difference is
because putting it on the page gives  you the chance to think and study the
material -- the tendency  on the net seems to be skin and react rather than
read and reply, hence the tendency towards misthought flamage. Perhaps by
taking it offline you give yourself the chance to think about what is being
said; reacting to the message instead of the words and the media.

chuq
--
:From the closet of anxieties of:                 Chuq Von Rospach
{cbosgd,fortune,hplabs,ihnp4,seismo}!nsc!chuqui   nsc!chuqui@decwrl.ARPA

There is nobody as small as those who refuse to accept the success of others.